Apolyton D&D: SF's PBEM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith,

Well I used to have time for both, and probably will again have time for both after I finished unpacking some. Not right now, though.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Could we have a quick rundown of what characters are there?
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

--"Could we have a quick rundown of what characters are there?"

As in PCs? Just two so far, both posted in this thread. Menchi and Dorlin. If you want a short summary without scrolling back to page 2:

Menchi: Cute and nimble but ditzy halfling rouge.
        Dorlin: Charming and strong but clumsy dwarf fighter.

If otherwise, everything's in the few e-mail that have been sent out. We really haven't met all that many people yet.

Wraith
        Fantasy isn't our crutch -- its arcane

Comment

I am wondering if this trend of having 6-letter names and being short will continue amongst our other party members.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Having a 6-letter name is practically a pre-requisite for being a fantasy hero.
            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

--"Having a 6-letter name is practically a pre-requisite for being a fantasy hero."

What about Conan?

I am curious about the short part, though. Stepladders will need more mention.

Wraith
              Cry Cheeble and let loose the hamsters of war!

Comment

So if Skanky can be a human, I don't have to

Comment

Your suggestion is slightly too late.

It might be valid if you swap "Skanky" for "Metaliturtle" however.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith
                    What about Conan?
                    That's the exception that proves the rule.

Of course, there are many other exceptions too, which only goes to show how darn proven that rule is!
                    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Oh, and not that any of you would care, but my 3.5 DMG came in recently. If you ever get a chance to marvel at the uselessness of the 3.0 DMG, go ahead and do so. 3.5 still has a few issues (some of the cheap magic items are better priced and less broken, although haste at will & flying at will are still underpriced), but it's on the whole better. The only thing I miss is dusty gray ioun stones (They're not on the table... tsk tsk.) (For those that don't know, dusty gray ioun stones do... nothing. They rotate around your head and look cool, though, and possibly scare opponents into thinking you're nastier than you are.).

They also have rules for Epic Level advancement, i.e. 20th level +. Never mind that D&D heroes already are extremely "epic." Especially if you subscribe to the official byline- played down more in 3rd than in 2nd, but still there- that most of the world is level 1, and not even of a real class (they're level 1 Warriors or level 1 Commoners and so on); that merely being a level 1 fighter qualifies you as wonderful knight in the army (never mind these default D&D worlds are the same ones with tons of vicious monsters running around on the roads to ambush adventuers! God help standard people!). This means that a 5th level Fighter is already of Greek proportions, being able to mow down with a single hit "normals" left and right and take many himself. If you take the slightly more reasonable stance in a fantasy world- that at least lower leveled characters are common- then 15th level characters, with access to their good old Prismatic Sprays & Horrid Wiltings, are still pretty darn epic. Anyway, I suppose the point is, has anyone ever actually been an epic level campaign? You'd think it'd be darn-near impossible to provide reasonable opposition without breaking the integrity of the setting in half (and it's hard enough keeping it with "merely" 15th level people running around). The only setting I can think of that might be interesting at epic levels is Planescape...

...oh well, a long digression that was. The point is, they used the wrong epic-level rules- those from the Epic Level Handbook, designed to take characters to level 100 and beyond, a futile attempt IMHO. They should have used the wonderful provisional rules from the Forgotten Realms 3rd edition handbook, which kept 20th level + characters on roughly the same power-scale as the lessers- who could still hope to defeat them- while still providing satisfying & powerful perks for each new level. Okay, end random rant.
                      Last edited by SnowFire; July 25, 2003, 11:13.
                      All syllogisms have three parts.
                      Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

I always assume that PCs are normao characters and so there are a lot of characters strnger than them

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I am interested in Lurking also I guess. Do not come to ACS that offen anymore.

Du_Chateau

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns

Your suggestion is slightly too late.
                            That's you? I guess it's a good thing that I can fire arrows over the top of your head.

Comment

Not if you have already been tripped over by my halberd!
                              (And it need not have been intentional )

Comment

They got rid of dull grey ioun stones?! Noooooo! Hmm... I wonder what happens to my dull grey ioun stone when the Living Arcanis campaign gets upgraded to 3.5.
                                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                                -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                                X