No announcement yet.

ADCT Game A: Fall 1906 Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I think about it there's Talon's position in Alien Dip that needs a temporary replacment (he's away for 2 weeks). It's not that hopeless, but (are you familiar with the variant? (It came from outer space?))

He has an army which will take Rostock this year, and he has Morocco, however neither is colonized yet (thus he has no home SCs), and will get no build. By the time he can build in Rostock, Morocco should have already fallen, so he'll have 1 army against the top players' 6. (It's around here somewhere in the forum, the thread for the game with the 2001 results).
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Thanks, Victor, I'll definitely look for that temporary position in the Alien Dip game. (Once I read up on the rules for how it works.)

One of the reasons I like the "loser" positions when I'm trying something new is that if I decide it's not to my taste, then I'll probably die in a year or two anyway. So it's kind of like sticking my toe in the water instead of jumping in headfirst to a position that takes a *long* time to play.

This temporary position is great for the same reason.

The other reason I like "loser" positions is that I never get down on myself when I die. (What else could I have done in that position except die?) But when I *start* a game from the beginning, then when I die I *know* it was my own damn fault. (Ouch)

Comment

"The other reason I like "loser" positions is that I never get down on myself when I die. (What else could I have done in that position except die?) But when I *start* a game from the beginning, then when I die I *know* it was my own damn fault. (Ouch)"

-Well, not alwyas. In one game I really didn't have much choice. I was Austria I got stabbed by IR first year, and was cut in half, there was not much I could have done to prevent that, I mean I was talking to both and I didn't see it comming (well maybe the Russia thing, but...) So I was stuck with Vienna and three Balkan centers and a pair of enemies, and a Turkey which smelled blood I lived just long enough, to die around the time England needed to be replaced, so I took a 7 center England to 10 centers in one turn, and am slowly pushing back the French Italy has a small chance of outrunning me. It's a game of who can kill their enemy faster to get 17 SCs, and then who can grab that one extra SC.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Victor Galis wrote:
          -Well, not alwyas. In one game I really didn't have much choice. I was Austria I got stabbed by IR first year....

I reply:
          I was about to add something similar. I might be able to convince myself it's not my fault if I start with Italy -- and maybe even Austria (the power that makes you paranoid because they really ARE out to get you).

So how do you choose who gets which power when you start a game? On the only thread I could find where a game was starting, one guy just said, "I'll take so-and-so." And the next guy did likewise.

So in a standard game the last guy in gets the one nobody else wants? Poor guy.

Comment

"So in a standard game the last guy in gets the one nobody else wants? Poor guy."

-Usually we post preferences, and the GM tries to give as many people what they want.

I once got my 6th choice: england, did heavy dipping, got Germany to admit he was working with France, but was now switching, then Russia dropped, so I switched with Russia (my first choice), and now I'm on the recieving end of EG The irony, eh?
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

For all those who see the snowball56 address: As you will see in my profile, I haven't used that one in a year. Please send all messages to Peter.Ingraham@oberlin.edu or through ICQ.
              All syllogisms have three parts.
              Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Working...
              X