No announcement yet.

Apolyton D&D: SF's PBEM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge mountain troll bears down on the party just as they are sitting down to some nice hot tea and scones. Their waiter Dorlin trips, sending the scalding hot tea spiralling through the air covering the mountain troll. He screams writhing in pain on the ground, blinded.
    "Would you like me to butter your scone, Zerak?" asks Dorlin
    "Yes Please"
    Dorlin picks up Zeraks scone in one hand and with a flourish scoops a large chunk of butter onto his knife. It was an impressive stylish manouvre marred only when the knife flies from his grasp, imbedding itself in the mountain trolls eye.
    Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

• Hark! The mountain troll had a friend who arrived at the scene only moments later.
      Menchi: "I know the perfect recipe I can use a mountain troll in! The cook at the barracks would never let me try it."
      Uvaer: "mmph. not eat troll"
      Kory: "We may be out in the wilderness, but some standards of civilization must be met. Waiter!"
      Dorlin: "Some champaigne, sir?"
      Kory: "Of course."
      Dorlin opens the bottle of champaigne, but alas, the cork goes sailing off on an intercept coarse with the charging mountain troll. A critical hit right between the eyes, the cork does 24 subdual damage. The troll is out cold.

Nah, I think Dorlin will want to stick with a halberd. I have a newfound respect for Sergeant Jeremy's deadliness though.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• I may have to sic marauding mountain trolls on y'all now. Look what you made me do.

As for UR's comment on working together... I agree with Nathan in that you should choose your character's development, well, in character with what he does. That said, to some extent this might be influenced by what others can do, and that's fine. As an example, in a 2nd edition game that I've mentioned before- one that both Nathan and myself were in-
        1) It was pretty hack & slash. Our DM gave us a lot of stuff to kill. So some "party optimizing" was expected.
        2) One character was a thief, and another was a thief-mage. The latter was a thief in class only, not in spirit- he happened to be a locksmith, and as part of that he knew everything about locks and a few other associated skills (like how to listen well). He had his Open Locks skill maxed from 1st level, and had a special non-weapon proficiency that was basically "Locksmithing."
        3) In the actual campaign, I believe we ran into precisely 1 locked door. We did a lot of breaking & entering, too (not the best matching of challenges against the party, but oh well).
        4) So, our true-thief (not the locksmith thief-mage)... decides to max out her Open Locks by around 6th level or so?! Now, learning some from her new friend is fine, and having some ability for your own use. But it's not like she roleplayed out learning the locksmithing trade or anything. She just randomly maxed that out, when we (theoretically) could have used other skills.

So that might be taking things too far. Of course, part of that has to do with the fact that her thief didn't really have much character, so if you can't act out of character, why not at least be efficient, but ah well.
        All syllogisms have three parts.
        Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

• As long as we get to have the picnic too.

Why would someone max out something another person already is an expert with? Particularly when they have not used the skill at all yet.
          Alas.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• Well Uvaer is a ranged fighter and thats what he is primarily interested in.

He doesn't mind jumping in amongst it either, however his preference is for ranged combat.
            Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

• Excellent. Just don't hit us by mistake
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Great. I just realised that Dorlin will be the sole fighter out the front when someone attacks the group. Not only does he have to face that danger though, but he will have the rest of you behind him, throwing or shooting things towards him.

With the aim everyone has displayed, Dorlin may as well start writing out his will now.

Comment

• --"In the actual campaign, I believe we ran into precisely 1 locked door."

Heh. Sounds good to me. Menchi is not good with locks, nor is she likely to ever be. She does like to climb on things, but that one hasn't helped much so far either. Ah well.

--"As long as we get to have the picnic too."

Just let Menchi know, and she'll get something packed. ^_^

--"With the aim everyone has displayed, Dorlin may as well start writing out his will now."

Hey, think on the positive side. He hasn't been hit by friendly fire yet.

(Yes, note that Menchi is quite short, even for a halfling. This means that she doesn't see the half of the glass that's empty; a recipe for instant optimist)

Wraith
                  Carpe DM: Seize the Dungeon Master

Comment

• Hey, Kory has yet to miss a single shot! Mind you, he's only fired twice, and that at ten foot spiders from close range, but still.

Rest assured that Precise Shot tops my list of feats. I'd have it already if nonhumans didn't get dicked over in feat selection.

Comment

• Pah, you gotta balance them out somehow.
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

• What about "Ghost Wing?"

Comment

• "Ghost Walkers"

Comment

• Where's everybody else?

Comment

• I'm dead. Can't speak for anyone else. The land of the dead is very boring, and our Internet connection sucks. Also I am thirsty.

Comment

• You too? I keep getting poked by a stick of blaming.

Irl, I'm rather busy. Work and then friends visiting straight after, still here. Why won't they just leave me alone? :cries:

Comment

Working...
                                X