Graphics standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics standards

The purpose of this thread is to elaborate current state of Stella Polaris graphics workshop. While I can't currently spot any code development, I still hope it's temporary state.
    Currently I can see just two persons willing to do somethng with StP graphics design. Namely, Jeremy Buloch and me. While the current work in the Graphics Sections seems to be not too tight and fast paced, I think that we must negotiate with coders so our work will remain useful rather than lost in time like paper in loo.
    I've got several questions while thinking about and working around unit models.

1. Texture matters.
    Q1.1 Texture format. Long-long ago, PNG was accepted for sprite graphics. It may be still good, as it's loseless and has alpha.
    Q1.2 Texture bpp. RGB ws. palette. The later is much more compact while requires additional work for loading.
    Q1.3 Texture color scheme.
    Q1.4 Texture size. Standards are nxm where n, m must be 2^(some integer). Usualy n==m. Obviously, it's download size/quality tradeof.

2. Model meshes.
    Q2.1 Model format. .3ds is good as interchange, but even inside .3ds there are two flavors: binary .3ds and text .asc. Other formats may be reviewed, too.
    Q2.2 Model size. I currently estimate reasonable model size around 500-1000 triangles. It isn't any big for reasonable modern (1-2 yrs. old) graphics boards. Modern ones may easily support 10x.
    Q2.3 Model animation, i.e. legs motion for soldiers, turrets rotation etc.
    Q2.4 Additonal model info, like particle emitters (dust, fire etc), death sequences, dead units etc.
    Q2.5 Unit identification (player colors, player flags, player logo on units etc.)
    Q2.6 Various stuff directly not related to graphics yet useful (BB for collision etc.)
    Q2.7 Model optimization (fans, strips etc.)
    3. General and misc.
    Q3.1 Multitexturing support, i.e.
    Q3.2 Bump mapping,
    Q3.3 Cubic environment mapping.
    Q3.4 Vertex and pixel shaders (register combiners are junk!).
    If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.
    Stella Polaris Development Team, ex-Graphics Manager

Good to see you bringing up a list of basic graphics issues that should be negotiated. I don't have anything to say really about the questions. I hope that you can together settle the issues so that we don't get something that doesn't work or is a bad solution.
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Thanks Targon! These questions need to be asked. I'll let the coders answer them.
      Keep up the good work. I'll post some questions maybe later. I'm busy...
      -J.B.-
      Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Hello, is anybody out there
        People can't you hear
        Can't you hear my cry

Forevermore, Iron Savior

We have 9 "developers" at our sourceforge page (counting Blake), and there is still no feedback concerning vital parts of the game. I hope they're too busy rather then ignorant.
        If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.

Comment

I would say that you can expect answers from Vovansim, Vultur, Alien and Carbaher. Most likely Chaos Theory and Kurilka too, despite I haven't seen Kurilka for a while now. Gowyn is too busy with his real work that he gets paid for and Blake is still missing like before.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

BTW, I recomend StPDT developers to hang on game developer community sites, such is gamasutra and some others. Among usual advertizing and scrap, it does contain some interesing articles about game design and development.

Comment

I agree with Targon. I think I'm registered on Gamasutra, but I've never used that account. I usually read news and articles.

Comment

I'm still there (just don't have much to post), but the point is that i'm not experienced in 3d graphics programming so cannot be an expert in choosing technologies and have not much time to do extensive research work in this area.
                But I'm still ready to code (just anything needed) and to discuss other subjects (e.g. networking). I have said already that we need 3D graphics developer with an experience, who has usable knowledge.

Comment

You have me
                  While my language taste is incomatible with StP C++ choice, I'm in OpenGL for past several years. The most of my questions are in fact, programmer's.
                  But I will not do that desicions by myself due to various reasons:
                  a) We are the team
                  b) We have a dozen of developers
                  c) I'm an artist, not a developer
                  d) Lot of graphics work lies on developer's shoulders
                  e) I can't treat my StP teammates as not competent until they will force me to think so. They still didn't.
                  f) Why I need to bother?
                  So it's very good you're here, Kurilka, but I need more feedback. I suspect Vultur was here but didn't reply. In fact, my questions are up to him.

Comment

a) hope so
                    b) 9<12
                    c) that's what I'm saying - we need experienced DEVELOPER
                    d)? what do you mean by that?
                    e)Don't know how it will be in English, but ñïåöèàëèñò ïîäîáåí ôëþñó - ïîëíîòà åãî îäíîñòîðîííÿ... ((c) K. Prutkov). Sorry for Russian
                    f)Don't know...
                    And I also thought that Vultur is our (programmers') new leader

Comment

item "d" explained: every graphics feature requires some amount of coding effort, testing, documentation etc. Of course, upside-down tiled graphics would be the most pleasing for developers, and "÷åì äàëüøå â ëåñ, òåì òîëùå ïàðòèçàíû" == the farther, the more.

Comment

The Russian isn't a problem at all. I just switch the encoding for Mozilla. Of course that doesn't yet mean I would understand it. As for Vultur, I could say that he has at least one larger exam at the polytechnic school now, so he won't have time to comment, I suppose. I agree that we would need an experienced developer, but the problem is that Blake has disappeared and none of the earlier attempts resulted in contacts from any experienced C++ developers (if we mean ones that are almost pro). Anyway, Kurilka and Gowyn came from SourceForge, which is something positive.

Comment

and othes came from Apolyton?

Comment

Others, except for Vovansim, were from old FreeAC Forums.

Comment

Ahh the Old FreeAC forums.
                              -J.B.-
                              Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Working...
                              X