Bizzare Map Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizzare Map Idea

Since a couple of weeks I've been looking to OpenGL tutorials to learn to use it to code something, and I've seen the spectacular maps that can be realized with it.
    So, I've had an idea: why don't have a RTS-games-like map?
    I've thought a lot looking other games like WC3, Empire Earth, and Starcraft and I've concluded that an isometric map can be not vinculated to "tiles".
    If "tiles" concept is removed by more detailed coordinates, so any unit can move and attack freely on the map, with the only limitation of his moving/attacking radius. Also resources will be gathered only in a certain radius from the base.
    I know this idea can sound strange, but seen the possibilities of OpenGL, I thought that can be done. See here
    Aslo the gods are impotent against men's stupidity --Frederich Shiller
    In my vocabulary the word "Impossible" doesn't exist --Napoleon
    Stella Polaris Development Team -> Senior Code Writer (pro tempore) & Designer

if possible it would be great we would remove tiles out of turnbased game...that is great distance to travel could be calculated in metres per terrain type
    Bunnies!
    Welcome to the DBTSverse!
    God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
    'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

First, it would be AT LEAST kilometers per type.

Second, RTS games actually do use a tile system. That's why the units move in the funny directions. They merely spend time "in transit" from one tile to another.

What you really are thinking about is a coordinate system. This would in fact work quite well.

Comment

I think a coordinate or RTS type system would work perfectly. It would be much easier to move and you wont wasted time trying to move diagnaly and going through alot of tiles. I support the use of this system.
        -J.B.-
        Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

From what I've gathered in bits and pieces in Blake's posts, it's been the idea for some time now to use (rectangular?) tiles for terrain, and true coordinate system for unit movement... yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Leland
            From what I've gathered in bits and pieces in Blake's posts, it's been the idea for some time now to use (rectangular?) tiles for terrain, and true coordinate system for unit movement... yes?
            Not necessarly. With a non-tiled map it's possible to have terrain of all shapes, the only thing we have to decide is how much precise the map mut be done.
            With a file that contains altitudes (i.e. a .raw file) we can have a similar thing, that contain altitudes, type of terrain, enanchements, etc.
            I suppose there is a tons of graphic engines well designed, we must only found the right one.

Comment

What exactly do you mean by "non-tiled map"? Some sort of polygonal thingamajig?
              Last edited by Leland; January 12, 2003, 13:47.

Comment

JB - read my post.

Leland - you can use a coordinate system, just like in the real world. A unit is located at particular coordinates on the map. Terrain features occupy a certain area on the map.

Comment

JB - read my post.

What are you talking about? Please be more specific. Which post do you want me to read?
                  -J.B.-
                  Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                    Leland - you can use a coordinate system, just like in the real world. A unit is located at particular coordinates on the map. Terrain features occupy a certain area on the map.
                    Yes, I can imagine how units and bases and other point-based objects can be positioned on the map freely (and this is not a new idea), but what I am not so sure about is how to represent areas like forests or oceans or mountain ranges... they'd have to be polygons of some sort, wouldn't they?

Comment

Any map "features" (forests, oceans etc.) may be represented either by some set of polygons/curves/fractals(?) projected on the map heightfield or like "terrain type" field associated with your .raw map grid points.
                      If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.
                      Stella Polaris Development Team, ex-Graphics Manager

Comment

What exactly do you mean by "non-tiled map"? Some sort of polygonal thingamajig?
                        Means that any polygon used to draw the map DON'T affect base, units etc behavior. The "coordinate system" must be enough "precise" to make a relistic movement, like all RTS maps.
                        A map like WC3 or E.E. would be the state of the art, once found the way to implement it.
                        Any map "features" (forests, oceans etc.) may be represented either by some set of polygons/curves/fractals(?) projected on the map heightfield or like "terrain type" field associated with your .raw map grid points.
                        You've got the point

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Vultur

Means that any polygon used to draw the map DON'T affect base, units etc behavior.
                            IMHO, they DO affect unit movement etc., but indirectly: the map has some topographic data which are used both for drawing textures/features/etc and for calculating unit movement, LOS, path-finding etc.
                            If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.
                            Stella Polaris Development Team, ex-Graphics Manager

Comment

IMHO, they DO affect unit movement etc., but indirectly: the map has some topographic data which are used both for drawing textures/features/etc and for calculating unit movement, LOS, path-finding etc.
                              Obvious, terrain type will affect unit movement, I thought was clear...

Comment

Working...
                              X