Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And now for something completely different...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... despite the fact that Iona is off the coast of Scotland, it is connected to Ireland...

Yaroslav is closest to it, but further away than he would dream.
    Furthest away, unfortunately, is Shadowstrike

Use some imagination, folks
    Follow the masses!
    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by our_man
      A scenario on the Battle of Kinsale? It doesn't look like that to me - besides, the Irish (despite the help of our gallant Spanish allies ) got hammered by the English, and what fun would that be to play?
      Yes, Kinsale. A what if scenario. Make it hard enough and try to survive. Changing history should not be easy at all. The Spanish spoiled a golden opportunity there

Comment

No, Mike, I was referring to what you now did again- posted while I was posting!
        Follow the masses!

Comment

Now Jay Bee beats me too
          Follow the masses!

Comment

how much of the project has been done?
            just wondering when it is going to be out

I really want to know what it is the misterious thing..
            Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
            Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
            miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

Very little of the project has been done yet, I confess, but that has nothing to say. I've got a lot of great ideas and I'm eager to realize them.
              I can't say when it will be out. Judging from my latest few scenarios, it'll be a few months
              Time isn't very friendly to me either. I've got two weeks of holidays ahead of me, but after that, I'll be in Budapest for a week (with school), and school is a pain in the ar*e too; but if I can claim to be optimistic (which I don't), I hope by Jul...argh August?
              Can't really say.

But I need input, I'm afraid. I've got a lot of splendid ideas, but I must honestly say that I have to rely a little on my fellow SLeaguers.
              So, here's a hint that should make it really, really easy. Has anyone of you ever heard of St Brendan?
              Follow the masses!

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Wasn't St. Brendan associated with the Irish monks, who (It is claimed), sailed the north Atlantic in coracle boats and were in fact the first Europeans to find the New World?

There is another, less well known legend that claims that the monks in their un-steerable coracle boats sailed right off the world and onto another. They made it back ok, but described a world quite different from our own.

Lost in America.
                "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

That's it
                  This will be a little something based on the legendary voyages of the Irish monks who are claimed by some to have "discovered" America some 3-400 years before the Vikings.
                  I will add a lot of interesting elements to avoid this from becoming a simple "cruise-around and colonize" thing. I'm not quite sure what this will be in each case, but it will have a lot of fictional elements. I'm also thinking about adding some mythical/mystical stuff like giant sea serpents and all this stuff, but I'm not sure about this.
                  What I'm sure about, though, is that this will likely be the first scenario to exclude all types of warfare (maybe some fighting between monks and serpents, but no war; even "Slash And Burn" had a bit of warfare in it). I'm just tired of this a little, I confess.
                  To make this clear: This will have no connection to religion, just because it's about monks. There is no religious message in it, I'm an atheist.

So... any ideas for this?
                  Follow the masses!

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Härtel
                    What I'm sure about, though, is that this will likely be the first scenario to exclude all types of warfare
                    Hmm, no... Sorry Stefan, but St-Leo just did that (excluding warfare) in his new scen...

But once again you come with a brilliant and original idea, Stefan! I'm eager to see that scenrario (and, if you want, to playtest it )

Originally posted by Stefan Härtel
                    I will add a lot of interesting elements to avoid this from becoming a simple "cruise-around and colonize" thing. I'm not quite sure what this will be in each case, but it will have a lot of fictional elements. I'm also thinking about adding some mythical/mystical stuff like giant sea serpents and all this stuff, but I'm not sure about this.
                    Yes, I think mythical elements would bring a lot to the scen! Ain't got any precise idea right now, but I'll definitely give it a thought!
                    Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                    Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                    POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                    LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Non-warfare, eh? Hmmmm....

Maybe have some sort of "pioneer monk" that has a strong attack to specifically be used for felling a "nature civ" unit of "dense forest". So, you'd have to clear out the tree units in the New World before you can actually settle it. Not the normal case of just sending in a buttload of settlers and in four turns the whole thing is plains.

Missile units that attack at random could be plague, drought, food poisoning and fire.

Other non-warfare units could be storms, sea serpents, giant man-eating fish, the infamous Welsh Dragon. Maybe even some wild animals; bear, moose, George Bush.

Comment

*looks at WarVoid*

Cthulhu! Cthulhu! Cthulhu!

Comment

You could set up a series of colonization expeditions for the human player. One progression might be like this:

1. colonize Ireland (kill all the serpents)
                          2. colonize England (rescue threatened monasteries)
                          3. colonize Scandinavia
                          4. colonize Greenland (or make it habitable?)
                          5. colonize Canada
                          6. colonize Netherworld?(as suggested by Warvoid)

Since war is not involved, winning would have to be based on the regular civ score.
                          "If you are not confused by quantum physics, then you haven't really understood it." -Niels Bohr
                          "The true test of your character is what it takes to stop you." -Dr. Bob Jones Sr.

Comment

Originally posted by El Awrence
                            *looks at WarVoid*

Cthulhu! Cthulhu! Cthulhu!

Isn't Cthulhu named GWB now??
                            Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                            Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                            POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                            LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Colonise America with a bunch of Irish Monks?

What are you going to do? Have pretty Native American Girl units that will make them throw their vows of celibacy to the wind?

Maybe the Irish monks should only have diplomat units so that they can only expand by converting (bribing) native cities i.e. encourage them to proselytize rather than procreate.

Rename gold to faith to illustrate this; and then have money-making city improvements changed to something like Monastery etc. The more of these you have in the city, the more faith your followers will have and the easier it will be for them to convert native cities.

Possible wonder: The Blarney Stone (J.S. Bach's Cathedral) - makes all your monks extra smooth talkers.
                              STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrion

Hmm, no... Sorry Stefan, but St-Leo just did that (excluding warfare) in his new scen...
                                where could i find it...?
                                Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
                                Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
                                miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X