Newbie help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie help please

This is something I tried to do, a Civ1 modpack. Unfortunatly, I can't get it to work right. It works with a scenario, but not on it's own. Please look at this & let me know how to fix it. A batch file would be appreciated as well, & any comments re: improving it.
    Attached Files
    April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
    Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

As a scenario but not on its own? Sounds like you're just saving in the wrong directory by accident; games have to be saved in the same folder as the modpack files, in case you didn't know/forgot. It's actually a pretty common error, and I can't think of any other reason. But then, I'm no computer expert.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Hi Bob.

I get it to run fine with the scen file included. That is because civ knows to draw from the cities.bmp, unit.bmp etc frm within the folder containing the scen file.

If you want to play your regular civII with these files, you need to place them within your main civII folder in the program files directory. NOTE: you should always copy and save the original civII files in case you want tyo return to the default set up.

With your edited files in the CivII directory, you will be using your files when you start a new game etc. (though you will not be using that same map provided in the scen file).

Does that help?

-FMK.

Comment

I think there are some ancient "modpack manager" programs around that can automate the swapping of files or so, so you don't have to move files around everytime you want to play your mod.

Alternatively, and probably the easiest solution. Right after starting your game (which doesn't have the modpack working), save your game in the modpack/scenario directory, reload this saved game, and you have your mod a-working! As long as you save your games in the mod folder you'll have no further problems.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
        X