Pharaoh Update...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharaoh Update...

Christmas is in the air, and with it the time of religious films on TV... well, German TV skipped it this year, it seems, but since I felt like watching one of those old Bible epics (which has nothing to say about my religiosity), I digged out "The Ten Commandments"... only to find out that the tape is in horrible condition, so I watched only about twenty minutes of that movie.
    It was enough to make me feel like reading up on ancient Egypt a little once again, which again made me feel like playing an Egyptian scenario... after playing Kull's scenarios a couple of times, I remembered my own scenario, "Pharaoh", which I made several years ago. I took a good look at it and decided to update it a little, with new and better graphics, and perhaps a couple of gameplay changes as well.
    So here's the point where you can throw in any suggestions. The scenario should be somewhere on Civfanatics.
    My first idea concerns unit graphics. I attached here some things I've made, and numbered them through: 1 is the unit as it appeared in the original "Pharaoh" scenario, 2 and 3 are modifications. What do you think, should I do this for all units, or should I let it be entirely?
    Attached Files
    Follow the masses!
    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Take a look at www.dbaol.com for more infos, Stef... You'll find it useful for sure.

BTW nice idea the army set... I'm currently planning something close for Zhanguo.
    "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
    "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
    "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Thanks for the link, but I already knew it since I was working on Fire and Roses
      Follow the masses!

Comment

Ehe ehe ehe... ooops...

When the game will be ready, Stef? Do you need some AoE graphics ( the old ones, i mean? ) ?
        "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
        "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
        "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

hey Prometeus, thanks for posting that site.
          Its great

Stefan, those new units look really good. How or what program did you use to make them so small?

thanks

civfan
          Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

When the game will be ready, Stef? Do you need some AoE graphics ( the old ones, i mean? ) ?

I dunno... it'll propably be ready sometime in January, provided I know what I'm gonna change. In any case, my other project on the South Seas has priority over that.
            I don't need AoE graphics, but thanks for the offer

Stefan, those new units look really good. How or what program did you use to make them so small?

Adobe Photoshop. Very simple, I just copied the unit via lasso, and then resized it a little.
            Follow the masses!

Comment

I like the new units!

But, personally, I like scenarios that start slow, and there was so much going on in the first turn of Pharaoh that I had a hard time getting to know the scenario. I like it soo much when I only have a few unit choices in the beginning...

But then again, Red Front is the complete opposite and seems to be one of people's favourites.

Maybe the game can start earlier in history when the egyptians were not that large... I don't know if this is possible...
              II. 193 And fight them until there is no more tumult and oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression.

Comment

I thought about that too, and I'm still not quite sure... a sort of an empire-building scenario would comply more with the tech tree and all that, but the problem is the choice of civs. The civs I currently have are perfect for historical accuracy of exactly that time frame. If I started earlier, I'd have to find a way to introduce the Mitanni and Kassites later on.

I've heard comments from both sides, those who, like you (and me, BTW), prefer slow-starting scenarios, and those who like action-packed scenarios more. But I think the range of my scenarios is broad enough, so it should have something in it for everyone (for some other empire-building games, try "Sons Of Heracles" or "Fire And Roses", my next scenario, "The Lost Paradise" will also be in that style).

[Edit: Typo]
                Follow the masses!

Comment

I loved SoH - BTW, what is the music you hear when you load it?
                  Would you need other civs if you did it earlier? Or did the Kassites and Mitanni arrive later? Otherwise, they could be kept in check until the appropriate time and then brought to life via events.
                  II. 193 And fight them until there is no more tumult and oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression.

Comment

Glad you liked SoH The music when it starts is from Wagner's Ring of the Nibelungs (my brother had that lying around, and I was in the need for some suitable music ); the other clips are from the soundtracks of the movies "Gladiator" and "Spartacus".

Well, if I started earlier with "Pharaoh", that'd be propably around 1800/1700 BC or so. That'd have the Kassites replaced by the Babylonians, and the Mitanni by some Proto-early imperial Assyrian civ which would be based much more to the north. It'd be a mess if I tried to introduce the Mitanni then (the Kassites wouldn't be much of a problem). I'm not saying it's impossible (perhaps if I excluded the Greeks entirely), but it would need some careful planning.

[Edit: Grammar ]
                    Follow the masses!

Comment

I like the new units, but I don't think they had shovels.

Comment

They didn't have steel or iron shovels. Bronze or copper seem likely.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Good idea, Stefan. Of course, If you need a betatester, you know that I'm ready
                          Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Shovels... hmm.. that's a question you never ask yourself Same as with "how the hell did they make fire?"

Yaroslav: Great, thanks a lot! Be sure that I'll come back to your offer
                            Follow the masses!

Comment

I think that they used adzes on wood as much as they did on the ground. I've never seen shovels on any Egyptian painting ever. Not as we know them today.

Comment

Working...
                              X