Batchfiles of TERROR!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kull
    Can't run Batch files in Windows 2000 or XP? The solution is remarkably simple. Simply download "choice.com" and place it in your Windows System32 subdirectory. Problem solved! (The file is inside the attached zip - Apolyton forbids the upload of .com files)
    Hey, thanks for reading my mind and helping me with my problem.
    The strategically impaired,
    -Cal

Comment

Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
      And lastly, here is a screenie of what happens when you have the batch attempt to copy files that aren't present. It nicely displays what went wrong, so its easy to iron out problems.

-FMK.
      Nicely done FMK! As a slightly off-topic aside, you might consider editing all this together into a single document and submitting it to Tecumseh for inclusion in the January SLM.
      To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Kull, I find that the 'Choice' file doesn't work with XP. The batch file will run, but not with the intended results, so you get a mess. At least this was my experience with the batch files for Red October once I'd switched to XP.

Also, posts of FMK would make an excellent tip for SL.
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

So, uh, FMK, you've been real helpful and all. I do appreciate it. But there is still the fear

All I really need is a batchfile to change some units. Twice in one game. So show me how to do that as an example.

Seriously, Tech is right. You outta gather up all that into one place and submit it to the SLM.
          Lost in America.
          "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
          "or a very good liar." --Stefu
          "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
            Kull, I find that the 'Choice' file doesn't work with XP. The batch file will run, but not with the intended results, so you get a mess. At least this was my experience with the batch files for Red October once I'd switched to XP.
            Huh? I use XP, and now that I've added the Choice file, all the batch files are working fine.

edit: I was wrong. I just tried to load Second Front. It's all a big mess. Oh well...
            edit2: I was wrong again. The reason Second Front was a big mess was because I forgot to download all of the graphics files. Choice.com has fixed things.
            Last edited by Cal; December 10, 2002, 21:01.
            The strategically impaired,
            -Cal

Comment

If the choice.com thing is giving troubles... I created batch files for some of Heresson's scenarios that don't use choice.com. Instead of copying files, I move files around. By checking which of the alternatives is missing I determine which phase is currently being played and the switch to the next (so I don't need a menu).
              If the player wants to go to another phase, he must simply run the batch file several times.

Another thing. It is not necessary to ask the user to save his game with a specific name... If you ask the user to drop the savegame onto the batch file, you can replace the SG.sav (in FMK's example) by "%1".
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I'd rather not submit that as it isnt really a definitive paper. I don't even know dos. Thats just a summation of what I've figured out by looking at the things in the past. Someone who really knows what they are talking about would be better.

-FMK.

Comment

Originally posted by Kull

Can't run Batch files in Windows 2000 or XP? The solution is remarkably simple. Simply download "choice.com" and place it in your Windows System32 subdirectory. Problem solved! (The file is inside the attached zip - Apolyton forbids the upload of .com files)

Actually, all "Batch File Required" Scenarios should include choice.com in the zip and have instructions for installing it in the readme.
                  Kull, you're my hero!!! I never even played more than 3 turns of TSFE or Red Front until now!
                  Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                  X