Title pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title pictures.

Although this might be simple for most of you, it is simply not for me.

WHAT IS THE EXACT PROCEDURE FOR "CREATING" TITLE PICTURES, MEANING PICTURES THAT APPEAR BEHIND THE SCENARIO INTRO TEXT?

WHAT ARE THE EXACT SPECIFICATIONS (APART NAMING IT "TITLE" AND MAKING IT 256-COLOUR)?

DIMENSIONS, FORMAT, SIZE?

please explain in simple, understandable words.
    "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
    Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

800*600 is my suggested maximum, *.gif/*.bmp are the accepted formats, and there are no size limits that I know of.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Take an existing title page from another scenario. Resize it to the dimensions you want. Paste the graphics you want into it. That way you ensure the palette is correct and will show up properly when you start the scenario. I always add large colored lettering with the name of the scenario, etc. using Paintshop Pro.
      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo

800*600 is my suggested maximum, *.gif/*.bmp are the accepted formats, and there are no size limits that I know of.
        I think for the title pic only GIF works, even when you have Fantastic Worlds. It´s even the same in ToT, which supports 24bit gfx - but not for the scn titles (which is a pity), they still have to be 8bit GIFs...

Palaiologos, most problems with title pics are caused by wrong palettes - simply reducing an image to 256 colors is not enough, these 256 colors have to be the standard colors of civ2 (otherwise the pic looks strange in the game). To make sure you are working with the "right" colors/palette, techumseh´s method is the easiest way.
        Blah

Comment

If you all have PSP anyway (or any other decent image editor)... Open up a units.gif (this one in particular, because Civ2 uses this file's palette for all its graphics), choose Colors > Save Palette... and you have the Civ2 palette ready whenever you need it.

For your title.gif, all you'd then have to do is create an image, load the palette (using dithering, preferably). Always save as non-interlaced, version 87a GIF's.

It´s even the same in ToT, which supports 24bit gfx

only 15-bit graphics, actually.
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I think for the title pic only GIF works, even when you have Fantastic Worlds.

Sorry, my mistake. I never use *.bmp if I can help it and I can help it in Civ2.
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Thanks.
              "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

The whole problem is that every time i tried to load a scenario with my title picture an error message apeared informing me of the pic's wrong format ("BADPICFORMAT") and the game crashed.

I will try Techumseh's method in a few days.(Actually i had thought of this method six minutes before my departure for the train station-no time to test it out)

Comment

DIVINE INTERVENTION

IT WORKED!!!!!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!

IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!!!!!

ZEUS BE PRAISED!!!!

THANK YOU ALL BeBRo, Mercator, St Leo, and Techumseh.

P.S I have not found how to save Civ's pallete yet, as i have only worked a couple of hours with Corel Draw and i am a bit slow on the mind. Help anyone.

Comment

Ah... Corel PhotoPaint (no?). I haven't quite figured that one out yet. I think PSP is rather easier to "learn", although PhotoPaint is actually the thing I own legally.

What version do you have? I have 8 and 9 (not installed anymore) but I could check it for you.
                    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Corel Photopaint Version 10.

But there is no need to get into trouble, Mercator, i am sure i will find it out myself.

Comment

I have PhotoPaint 9.0, you can load/save palettes under the menu "picture" > "color table" (hm, perhaps it´s "image" instead of "picture"? - my menus are in German ) In the following popup box, there is a button called "Load Colors" (or so), and in the upper right corner is a little disc icon to save palettes.
                        Blah

Comment

Working...
                        X