Barbarians and when they stay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yaroslav
    It's invisible, but the city still cumulates food. When it cumulates enough food and reach pop 1, it becomes visible...
    Settlers/Engineers eating the surplus? Certainly not foolproof if they are killed off or disbanded.

-FMK.

Comment

Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh

Settlers/Engineers eating the surplus? Certainly not foolproof if they are killed off or disbanded.

-FMK.
      What about food routes?
      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

It's simpler than you think. Just balance consumption with a terrain which has just the right amount of food. A 0 size city gathers food from only 1 square, the one it's on. If the food production of the square it's on is 1, then the city is static - no settlers needed. You might want to look at Prince of Darkness for an example. There are 20-odd Stygian 0 size cities which don't grow. It's not perfect, however - there is AI cheating and I have seen cities grow to 1 or 2, but it takes a long time and is rare.
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

One footnote on barbarians vanishing: any barbarian unit with a domain of 2 (ocean) and a hold/carry > 0 disappears the turn after it is no longer carring any units.

Comment

I'd agree that food routes would be the best solution for your food surplus. Having the city on an ocean square to start with would be even better because then it can't be captured by ground units.

You still have the potential that the city could be bribed. Do you want Barb units bribable or no? If not, suggest you give Barbs the Democracy government.

Oo, oo: how about using an idea of Kobi's with an invisible Barb city in the middle of the ocean that produces pirate units. You could perhaps have this (and other cities) making Taifun or other "storm" units (at a slow rate).
            "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

About the barbarian city: Though it's visible and land-based, no unit will see it, much less be able to take it, because it is surrounded by invisible impassables with the "bomber" flag (i.e. no unit can attack it except fighters, which don't appear in this scenario). Apart from that, it's a sizw 1 city that produces 1 food surplus.

One footnote on barbarians vanishing: any barbarian unit with a domain of 2 (ocean) and a hold/carry > 0
              disappears the turn after it is no longer carring any units.

Well, barbarian naval units in this scenario are just whales, they don't carry anything... but that is a good hint.

You still have the potential that the city could be bribed. Do you want Barb units bribable or no? If not, suggest
              you give Barbs the Democracy government.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll do that right away!

Oo, oo: how about using an idea of Kobi's with an invisible Barb city in the middle of the ocean that produces pirate
              units. You could perhaps have this (and other cities) making Taifun or other "storm" units (at a slow rate).

That is a good idea, but the con is, that an enemy ship can accidentally bump into the city. I will think about it.
              Follow the masses!
              30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Working...
              X