Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Relationship between City Size & Graphic

To quote from the Civ Manual:

"Cities come in four sizes: Small (1-3), Medium (4-5), Large (6-7), and Extra Large (8+). Note that a civilizations capital is never displayed as small."

That's very nice, but I'd REALLY like to change those numbers! I reviewed the Hex Edit documentation, but this isn't discussed there. Has anyone else been able to modify this relationship, or is it one more unsolved mystery?

(The fact that Capital Cities are treated differently implies that the values can be modified)
    To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Sorry, not a hex whiz, but curious.

Hmmm! Mountain passes and big cities. Can you give another hint?
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Boco

Hmmm! Mountain passes and big cities. Can you give another hint?
      Be careful what you ask for - you might wind up playtesting! (again)

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Well..... in (cough) Test of Time, you can. Early cities of all 4 styles are the same as FW/MGE. Industrial cities are: small (1-4), medium (5-7), large (8-10) and extra-large (11+). Modern and renaissance cities are: small (1-4), medium (5-10), large (11-18), and extra-large (19+). Don't ask me why renaissance cities have the same progression as modern ones!
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
          Well..... in (cough) Test of Time, you can.

Comment

The above statement by tecumseh applies to normal civ as well as far as I know (apart from the renaiscanse cities which don't get a specific city style).
            Don't think those settings can be changed though...
            No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik
              The above statement by tecumseh applies to normal civ as well as far as I know (apart from the renaiscanse cities which don't get a specific city style).
              I tested this and Henrik is 100% correct!! YES! I'll have to make some changes, but suffice it to say that now Paris can be the only French City with the Eiffel Tower! (My earlier solution involved the "cities with/without walls" method and that caused more problems than it solved)

Thanks Guys!!!

Comment

Aha! Andorra invades France!
                El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Damn. Another convert lost!
                  Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
                    Aha! Andorra invades France!
                    Rats! The secret is out! As you cleverly guessed, this is an "alternate history" scenario in which the large nations of 1930's Europe are ruled by pacifist leaders, while Fascist governments have taken control of Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Monaco, Danzig, and Luxembourg! Together these nations form the evil "Midget Axis" and prepare to unleash the horrors of Fourteenth Century War upon their unsuspecting (and utterly oblivious) neighbors!

The most groundbreaking scenario since "Gambia", "Midget Axis" will stun and amaze those who can stay awake through the opening credits!
                    Last edited by Kull; October 26, 2002, 22:30.

Comment

Kull- I missed this: how does building the eiffel tower only in Paris help?
                      Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

No no, he means the tower itself is in the city gfx. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by The ANZAC
                          Kull- I missed this: how does building the eiffel tower only in Paris help?
                          I can see the confusion. This isn't about the Eiffel Tower Wonder but rather a way to have a city graphic (containing the Arc d' Triomphe and Eiffel Tower) appear in only one city. By ensuring that only the French have the "Modern City" style and that no other French cities exceed size 18, only Paris will "look like Paris".

The scenario would work fine if Paris looked like any other large French city, but it's so much cooler that she has her own special graphic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kull
                            Fascist governments have taken control of Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Monaco, Danzig, and Luxembourg!
                            Pius XII wisely keeps the Vatican neutral, I see.

Comment

San Marino... The old arch enemy...
                              No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Working...
                              X