CivStack... utility to add fortresses/airbases to all squares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CivStack... utility to add fortresses/airbases to all squares

A nice and simple utility to add fortresses or airbases to your maps. You can pick which terrains to add them to.

This is mainly for those who'd like to see their scenarios allow unit stacks (and don't have entire stacks killed).

Airbases are really only interesting for ToT, since there they don't have the city properties like acting as irrigated/railroaded land etc. And of course, even then only in scenarios without air units.

If you want the details on what use this utility really is, ask techumseh, John Ellis, FMK and others, since they're the ones who asked for it.

Just unzip and run (the program, that is ), it should need no further explanation (and if it does, just ask me here).

If it doesn't run, download the VB6 runtime files from my MapEdit website.

Oh yes... and let me know if you encounter any bugs. It's not entirely unlikely there still are some (so backing up the savegames/scenarios before running them through CivStack is a good idea).

Edit: Updated version, fixed a bug
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mercator; December 1, 2002, 10:52.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

I would like to add that I have used this, and found it to be very easy and extremely helpful. Saves a designer lots of tedious work. Excellent utility Jorrit!

-FMK.

Comment

Jorrit, you may want to send an email about this to John Ellis.

P.S. I had nothing better to do, so I added it to SLeague's Files section.
      Last edited by St Leo; October 19, 2002, 23:17.
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Well, he should have an older version of this already, but I will (if I remember , I have his e-mail on the PC I'm not using now)...

By the way, if anyone wondered, CivStack works (or should work anyway) with ALL versions of Civ2.

For ToT: If your savegame/scenario has multiple maps, there will appear extra buttons (as many as there are maps). With those you can then switch between the maps and make the changes for each map individually. Clicking Apply/OK will then apply the changes for all maps.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Does this work on sav files, or just on blank maps?
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Sav and scn files. It's great. I find both ancient/medeival army movement (where the army moves as one stack) and modern (with an extended front) seem to work very well with stackable terrain.

Two things are adversely affected: land units on a transport which has been sunk do not sink - they just sit there, and also barbarian units only move one space before forting up.

I wonder if either of these problems would continue if the improvement used was airbasses instead of fortresses?
            Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Yep, land units on sea still remain. Except for the attacker's... That probably hadn't been tested yet, and it's the same as with fortresses. If, say, a fully laden Frigate attacks a laden Galleon, the Galleon's units will remain (if it loses), but the Frigate's units will perish (if it loses).

The good news with airbases on land is that barbarians will indeed move around normally... The bad news is, they also occasionally pillage the airbases.

Comment

Sav and scn files. It's great
                Wow, this is going to be very helpful.

Thanks a lot Merc
                'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                  Two things are adversely affected: ..... and also barbarian units only move one space before forting up.
                  Ouch, I hadn't though of that. Dont think this'll work with Lebensraum, being that there are so many barbarians representing the minor nations. Their role is small, but with all forts, they'll play none.
                  BTTDB

-FMK.

Comment

So far, the only barbarian units in Lebensraum I've come across are neutral garrison units. What will be the problem?

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Well Jugoslavians and the Finnish troops are meant to be nasty and actually fight. There are partisans in Greece, as well as the Poles (if they aren't destroyed on turn 1). It's not a big deal I guess, but I was hoping to give some of the larger civs a hard time with the Barbs but I guess it'll have to suffer with the more important tradeoff of stackable terrain.

Either way, the utility does its job perfectly.

-FMK.

Comment

Actually barbs will still attack in a "raidlike" way from cities, for instance I've noticed that a city with an artillery in it will result in it attacking any troops that hang around outside (atleast in bonaparte 2).
                        No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Also, barbarians with a move of 2 or more will attack adjacent units.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Jorrit,

This indeed has been a great boon for me. Thanks again (and ignore my last mail. I have found this thread now.)

Comment

Now, do you have a utility to REMOVE fortresses where no no longer want them!

Comment

Working...
                              X