Favourite (and innovative) scenario concepts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by William Keenan

Another musing, would barbarians be usable a the listener?
    checking the human player may be ok.
    But its only one time possible in a turn when you establish an embassy in a barbarian city. The barbarian leader appears within this turn in the F3 main diplo window. After this turn the embassy would vanish and reestablishing embassy is not possible to open the barbarian dipl. window twice. But this ist not working in every case. I couldnt found out why.

for AI identification this ist not possible. They(AI) never communicate with Barbarians.

Comment

Originally posted by William Keenan

Alternately, the listener could be a single civ that no one is allowed to communicate, like the Hodad in the Aliens scenario.
      The Hodads were cool in that scenario. Did you know 'Hodad' was a model of guitar made by Fender in the early '60s? It was used in a lot of surfer music from that era....

Comment

I liked the high-attack low-defense Viking marines that attack from high-attack longboats in Harlan's Vikings. I liked the idea enough to copy it in Fictional Americas.
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by bfg9000

The Hodads were cool in that scenario. Did you know 'Hodad' was a model of guitar made by Fender in the early '60s? It was used in a lot of surfer music from that era....
          Hence the surfer-types names for the alien cities!

*stating the obvious, I know!*
          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
          http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Tooting my own horn . . . .

Back on topic . . .

Has anyone else ever used the CivCity program to arrange that only specified cities can have "oil fields?" (Which are actually Hydro plants)

If not, I lay first claim to it.

Lost in America.
            "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
            "or a very good liar." --Stefu
            "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Be proud!

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                I liked the high-attack low-defense Viking marines that attack from high-attack longboats in Harlan's Vikings.
                Ditto. Their low defence stats and general inability to bother fortified cities gave that scenario a fantastic dynamic.
                'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Re: Tooting my own horn . . . .

Originally posted by Exile
                  Back on topic . . .

Has anyone else ever used the CivCity program to arrange that only specified cities can have "oil fields?" (Which are actually Hydro plants)

I have actually, some months ago.Only that there were termed "conscription centers".

Still to release that scenario though.

But i think that the concept first appeared in 2194 days of war.
                  "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
                  Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Nemo/Alex used the 'Oil Refinery' in Red Front.

Comment

I don't know the program. Now tell me; can You arrange also that only specific cities can have palace, or marketplace, or any other improvement? If so, it'd be great.
                      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                      Middle East!

Comment

No, it only happens with some flag that the game sets (but existing flags)

such as 'coastal' (you can edit coastal cities so that they appear as landlockes for game purposes, and so cannot build ships or the sea improvements..

same happens with the hydro plant: it needs a river to be built, so the cities can be hex-edited to allow or disallow the construction of such.
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Re: Tooting my own horn . . . .

Originally posted by Exile
                          Back on topic . . .

Sound VERY interesting. Please, tell me more

Comment

When you build a city, if it has a river in it's radius, the game marks it as able to build a hydro plant. You can, by hex editing (or using CivCity), toggle which cities can and which can't. You then rename the hydro plant to whatever you wish, and you can have custom power plants buildable in only some cities.
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Ok, here it is;

Using the utility program CivCity by Mercator, you can go into a scenario, select any city, and decide whether you want it to be "coastal" or not. Doesn't matter where the city is or what terrain is around it. There is a checkbox that allows you to make that decision regardless of where the city might actually be on the map. When you deny a city the "coastal" status, it cannot build HARBORS, PORTS, or OFFSHORE PLATFORMS.

The same is true for shipbuilding ability. There is another checkbox that will allow or deny this too. This will also prevent the construction of COASTAL FORTS if this is not checked. For some reason, the program treats coastal forts like ships. If you don't check this box, you can't build either one.

Lastly, there is also a checkbox for "HYDRO." When you check this, a HYDRO PLANT can be built there, regardless of where the city may actually be. And, conversely, when you don't check it, or un-check it, the selected city cannot build a HYDRO PLANT.

No hex editing necessary.
                              Lost in America.
                              "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                              "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                              "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Re: Ok, here it is;

Originally posted by Exile No hex editing necessary.

That's why i said 'or using CivCity'
                                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                                X