New Cold War scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cold War scenario

Im currently making scenario about Cold War. It starts from the end of ww2 and ends to collapse of Soviet Union (45-91). All ideas/hepl would be welcome.

I also need map that includes only northern part of globe so it can be more accurate than original world maps. If somebody has one/wants to make one for me i would preciated.

You too? I think Djug was working on something similar. He goes by John Lenin now, maybe you could contact him?
    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Be sure to have many different types of Nukes with good movement range.

Comment

Nukes? I personally don't like nukes unless there is a defense available. I know they were vital in the Cold War, but the AI obviously doesn't believe in MAD, how about just missiles as nukes? (ie: like a cruise missile, takes out only one unit) And there are sooo many types of tanks, planes, etc. that using up so many spaces for nukes might be a bit wasteful.

Comment

Look for the polar view map. One of the best. And remember, the Cold War was almost 10 years old before anyone had missiles to do the dirty work.
          "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
          -OOTS

Comment

Thanks for usefull tips to all of you. Djug is making Cold War scenario too? Hmm yes i really should contact him.

Yes there will be many different type of nukes.

Hey what do you say about idea that it would take 2 turns to nuke to get to target? Like it would move 15 hexes at first turn and after that enemy could try to shoot them down with ABM-missiles if he has any? And if he isnt able to shoot them down they will reach target next turn...

It would be much more realistic than just adding SDI Defenses. Those ABM-missiles would cost much so building good ABM System would be really expensive.

Hey that polar view map is a really good idea! I will use that...

One nice thing in this scenario is that it starts right after ww2 so when playing USSR/West Europe you have to rebuild your country.

Comment

I don't think moving it only 15 spaces would work as I'm sure the AI would get around that somehow and nuke the hell out of the player anyway. And unless the target is within 15 spaces, the player almost has no chance because the AI has an unlimited supply of cruise missiles.

Comment

Only a question: if there are so many different nukes ready to strike in your scn, it wouldn´t be about Cold War, more about a Hot War, no?

Ah, I forgot...why do you only include the northern part of the world? Dirty wars like Vietnam or Afghanistan played an important role during cold war. You could create some Special Forces that can act behind the enemy lines.

And how do you solve the problem with Berlin (eastern/western part?).
                [This message has been edited by BeBro (edited August 07, 2000).]
                Blah

Comment

Thats a good idea with the ABM. You could also make the techs to nukes an event or something to keep it more realistic.

Since I'm assuming that this is a European scenario have an event announcing the Cuban Missle Crises and so forth.

------------------
                  What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?

Contact me at cpoland@mail.win.org

Comment

You could just place east and west Berlin as two seperate cities only one space apart...but that might be a bit awkward...you could just use an airbase to simulate West Berlin.

Comment

Tech-tree, most of units, terrain, US and Chine are done now. You can check screenshot from the scenario from http://www.geocities.com/jonscave/cw_sample1.jpg

Yeah i really love that idea about ABM too. You cant ever get 100% defense against nukes. And now you need to build LOTS of nukes like in reallife to be sure that enough nukes are able to reach enemys country and destroy it.

Yes i could make techs to nukes come from event but i still prefer you have to discover those techs yourself. I just have to make it so you discover them in right time (lots of testing).

I will make Cuban Missile Crisis, Korean, Vietnam and Afganistan wars appearing from a event.

Movement rate of nukes will be something like 25 in a turn now. I will not give cruise missiles ability to attack to air so nukes are safe from them.

No no no...you dont have any nukes when scenario starts (except US has few Atom Bombs). You have to discover nukes and massproduce them after that.

With northen part of world i mean everything northen than equator so Vietnam and Afganistan will be in the scn too. Special Forces...thanks for the tip...i will maybe is them.

But that problem with Berlin is harder...there arent enough space for two cities (East Berlin/West Berlin). Hmm...but problem with using an airport would be that Soviets would demand US to withdraw their forces from near of their city.

Comment

Like the screenshot. If you could have an event that changes the Railroads to Highways would be nice to simulate authenticity in the U.S. and Developed Europe. That isn't a "must". Looks good!

------------------
                        What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?

Contact me at cpoland@mail.win.org

Comment

I've heard that you can hex edit the location of cities and be able to have 2 cities next to each other.
                          Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

I've heard that you can hex edit the location of cities and be able to have 2 cities next to each other.
                            Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

How about a special unit called "West Berlin", it could be a caravan unit so it won't be asked to withdraw. Maybe a carrier flag too?

Comment

Working...
                              X