Rules.TXT gone in Civ3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules.TXT gone in Civ3

It's official, they removed the rules.txt for faster loading times. All the settings can be changed via the inbuild editor.

I wonder what this means for scenario's ala RedFront. Are planned events (comparable in size to RF) still possible?

The link
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

You are correct.
    And rules.txt is also gone. We decided to remove the text file in exchange for faster load times.... Everything that was in rules.txt is now in the editor. Anything you could do in the civ3 rules.txt file, you can do in the editor
    Mike from firaxis said this in the thread you were talking about.

Not only do i think that planned events will still be possible, i think they will be easier to do. The editor will be a beautiful thing. It will incorporate all of the things you could do in civ 2 and probably add a tonne more.
    "The Bible is the greatest sales pitch in history" -Me

"I regret nothing and apologize for less." -My motto

Comment

I for one have never been a big fan of Microprose's editing software.

Comment

I think for the first time in my life i'm gonna all-out agree with Scott.

*snow begins to fall in buckets*

Seriously tho, look at the original FW editor, it sucks when you think about it. Most of the time we all end up using notepad and MS Paint to do our editing. Now we'll be restricted to usin the crappy editor which can complicate things.

ALA multiple events and rules.....

Comment

*snow begins to fall in buckets*

Are you in hell?

It's official, they removed the rules.txt for faster loading times.

It means EU2 will whoop Civ3's ass.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Re: Rules.TXT gone in Civ3

Originally posted by CapTVK
            It's official, they removed the rules.txt for faster loading times.
            Huh? I would of said that rules.txt was a fast way of loading things (After all, its just an ASCII text file).
            Then again, I did drop out of computer programming one year into my degree because I sucked at it...
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Well since this is what replaces the rules.txt...

I think this is pretty promising:

No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

i don't see a menu about events

Comment

They have said that there will be event, this screen was cut off at the bottom and at the side...

So that was probably something left out of this screenshot.

Edit:
                  Hmmm, it says rules editor, since when did we store the events in the rules

It is probably there though, and was just left from of this screenshot.
                  Last edited by Henrik; October 17, 2001, 07:22.

Comment

Looks nice, BUT...

I don't see a menu to edit units!
                    from that screenshot, it looks like you can edit their stats and abilities, but not add new units!
                    Hopefully this is just the Civ 3 equivalent of the FW Effects Editor, and there's a separate menu to edit unit graphics, prerequisites, etc...
                    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Comment

Well since there is an option to add govts (!) in the govt edit menu, maybe (I hope so ) you can add units in the unit menus (on this screnshot only unit abilities and actions(AI?) are visible, but as I said it has been cut off)...
                      Last edited by Henrik; October 17, 2001, 07:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik
                        Well since there is an option to add govts (!) in the govt edit menu, maybe (I hope so ) you can add units in the unit menus (on this screnshot only unit abilities and actions(AI?) are visible, but as I said it has been cut off)...
                        Yeah. It would be odd if you were able to fiddle around with governments, but not do something as basic as adding units. I suspect that due to the more complex way they are handled, graphics have an area of their own in the editor
                        *crosses fingers*

Comment

yet another reason not to like Civ3

Comment

Faster loading times? Hmm.
                            I suppose that would be the case in that parsing the rules text would avoided. However the time saved would probably not be noticable.

I just hope the CIV III editors aren't full of bugs like the CIV II editors. I also hope that when bugs are found in the CIV III editors (and this almost surely inevitable), that software fixes are available.
                            "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
                            --

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik
                              They have said that there will be event, this screen was cut off at the bottom and at the side...

So that was probably something left out of this screenshot.
                              where did you see info that there would be events, i've seen stuff that says no events.

Comment

Working...
                              X