Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of Osman

A new scenario coming soon...
    Although Mathias Koster's Death and resurrection of an empire (shouldn't it be resurrection and death of an empire?) covers the last centuries of the Roman ('Byzantine') Empire, the Osmali aspect is limited, and they are given an unhistorical headstart in central Anatolia which was then part of the Sultanate of Roum (Romania). When I played it at Katapan (prince) level to start with the Osmali never became a threat, being far away from the main theatre of war-the sea of Marmara and the Balkans.
    So this scenario is effectively its continuation after the Paleologi reconquest of Constantinople (Nea Roma) and its rapid decline afterwards.

I was wondering whether to start of under the reign off Osman with one city, Bursa, or start under the reign of Orhan with an established Emirate covering north-western Anatolia.

Civs to be included:

Romans (otherwise falsely known today as 'Byzantines')
    Georgians
    Armenians (now in Cilicia, south-east Anatolian coast)
    Cypriots (Lusignan kingdom)
    Persians (should they be under Jalayrid, Timur Laing, Shah Rukh or the Ak Koyunlu dynasties?)
    Mamlukes
    Osmali (Ottomans)

I had thought of including the Serbs and Bulgars, if the scenario is to begin under the Age of Osman literally then they may replace the Georgians and Cypriots-however by 1361 the Serbian and Bulgar Empires break up into principalities-how do I replicate that in the scenario-if given Princepalities (Republic) government can they be forced to change government (perhaps, if they are really under an Empire governement which is of course backwards)?

Barbarians will play the role of Wallachians, Khanate of the Golden Horde, Catalonian state of Athens, Genoese possesions, Venetian possesions, Knights of St. John in Rhodes, the Achaen principality, Anatolian 'Ghazi' Emirates and the Roman Empire of Trabizond.

The map I will be using is the same one I used for Age of Alexius-my one!

Why, you may ask, the rush to edit and release these scenarios?
    Well my theory is that when Civ III comes out it is very unlikely there will be as much interest in Civ II as there is at the moment, look at Civ I for example.
    What is your opinion?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Masis; June 30, 2001, 20:03.
    MRP

Hey Masis!

Great splash page. Can you convert a bmp file to a gif?

Exile
    Lost in America.
    "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
    "or a very good liar." --Stefu
    "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Re: Hey Masis!

Originally posted by Exile
      Great splash page. Can you convert a bmp file to a gif?

Exile
      For that I used a demo version of PSP7. It expired months ago and when you try to download it again a 'mysterious' error occurs when you have downloaded about 60-80% of it that obviously stops you from using it again in that way. Is it really worth forking out £90 pounds or so to convert one bmp Title file into a gif format when you know decent people who will gladly do this simple task, if they use a program like PSP7 for other artistic graphical work they do, as it only takes around 1 minute or so to perform the task of converting it into an 87 non interlaced gif format. Give them ample credit in the Readme file of course and also the begining Info Event.
      MRP

Comment

New Units

Here are some of the new units I have selected/made for The Age of Osman scenario.

Unit1: Yeniseri (New Soldier)
        Unit2: Serb/Bulgar Infantry
        Unit3: Unique unit; Urban's giant cannon
        Unit4: Unique unit; Roman Emperor
        Unit5: Frankish/European knight
        Unit6: Muslim Merchant
        Unit7: Christian Merchant
        Unit8: Unique unit; Timur Laing (maybe it will become a Persian Shah unit)
        Unit9: Unique unit; Osmali Leader (can hardly call him Sultan if the scenario begins with the Osmali's under an Emirate)
        Unit10: Italian/Muslim Pinnacer
        Unit11: Bombard
        Unit12: Mongol/Persian cavalry
        Unit13: Osmali Sipa (converted from Roman Imperial Cavalry)
        Unit14: Osmali light cavalry

Now for some more...
        Attached Files
        MRP

Comment

The descision

Now it is to be the Cypriots and Armenians who will be replaced by the Serbs and Bulgars. It was a difficult descision and I'd rather have kept them but that shows you the limitations of Civ II (Civ III does not seem to improve this-also keping to the 7 civ limit). It could very well end up as a Multi-Event scenario due to the time span covered-over 200 years-probably divided into a -6 turns interval i.e. every 6 months.
          That would make it over 400 turns! Is that feasable in game playing terms? Maybe I could get away with the 200 or so turns itself.

This scenario will be the last chapter in the Rome-Romania series.
          The series, including scenarios made by others, will follow this sequence...

Age of Romulus by me (coming soon)
          Age of Kaisar by me (coming soon)
          Spartacus by Alex Mor
          Imperium Romanum by Berne Brosing
          Age of Aurelian by me (coming soon)
          Age of Constantine by me (new version coming soon)
          Age of Arturius by me (new version coming soon)
          Vandals! (I remember this scenario being out, got to get the authors name!)
          Age of Justinian originally called Rome 443AD by Joaquin Vano Gea, edited by me(new version coming soon)
          Age of Heraklius (new version coming soon)
          Cross and Cresent by Berne Brosing
          Age of Basilius by me
          Manzikert by Maciej
          Age of Alexius by me
          Death and Resurrection of an Empire by Mathias Koster
          Fading Lights by Maciej
          Moscow: The Third Rome by Michael Dumen
          Age of Osman by me (coming soon)
          Last edited by Masis; July 7, 2001, 21:25.
          MRP

Comment

Do it your own way.

There is nothing wrong with a 400 turn scenario. Especially if it's worthwhile. Scenarios being short or long is simply a preference of the individual. Do what feels right to you. This is your creation. It's good to get feedback, but go ahead and make the descision yourself.

Salutations,
            Exile
            Lost in America.
            "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
            "or a very good liar." --Stefu
            "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

A site you must view

Take a look to this site - as well as the ones i mentioned in AoB thread...

... another great site about turkish and non-turkish units

"Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
              "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
              "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

I Need You!

Well, I need your valuable comments...
                The 'foundation scenario' is under way, placing the cities etc.
                Looking at the isolated Osmali (Ottoman) capital of Bursa I was wondering if the Osmali should start of with more cities under their rule or should they start of with just their capital?
                It is something I'd like feedback on as I'd like to know in game playing terms how you preffer it.
                You want a challenge or a walk over?

In Michael Dumen's Moscow: The Third Rome scenario the Moscovite Russians start of with just the small village of Moscow before their later expansion. The scenario was excellent and interesting. I wish it lasted longer though. Again, if the Muscovites had started with more cities I reckon the scenario would have lost its challenge edge to it...

MRP

Comment

Re: A site you must view

Originally posted by Prometeus
                  Take a look to this site - as well as the ones i mentioned in AoB thread...

... another great site about turkish and non-turkish units

Excellent!
                  Pure craftsmanship!
                  I hope they expand their range of units...
                  MRP

Comment

Some more units

These are the units I have further selected/made for the scenario...

1) Standard infantry
                    2) Armoured infantry
                    3) Bashi-Bouzouk* (mad man) infantry
                    4) Sufi
                    5) Islamic cavalry
                    6) Unique unit: Grand Master of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem now based in Rhodes
                    7) Catalan/Latin heavy infantry
                    8) Unique unit: Serb/Bulgar Tsar
                    9) Latin infantry
                    10) Unique unit: Genoese/Venetian governor

*These were the 'cheapest' infantry of the Osmali, mad men and prisoners released and permitted to carry out any atrocity they pleased...this is not something I savour, but it has to be known and demonstrated in this scenario...

They are apt to change still...
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Masis; July 8, 2001, 01:17.
                    MRP

Comment

The current plan

Here is the plan for the scenario, if the Osmali are to start of with an established base in north-west Anatolia.
                      The squares represent the capitals.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Masis; July 14, 2001, 02:28.
                      MRP

Comment

Bursa or Yenisehir?

Just to know Turkish history more better...

Originally posted by Masis

Looking at the isolated Osmali (Ottoman) capital of Bursa...

... Yenisehir ( taked shortly after 1290) was the first Osmanoghullari's capital, not Bursa. Bursa was conquered in 1326 - and Osman was only buried here, as a result of the great masonry works commissioned by his son Orkhan.

When exactly your scen will start? After or before 1326?

PS I got my Ostrogorsky book just yesterday... Need a map?
                        "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
                        "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig

Comment

only thing i know about this period is battle of nicopolis as described in Barbara Tuchman's "A distant mirror" I suppose you dont go that far (1398?) if you do you would need hungarians/franks civ.

LOTM
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

The Time, The Place.....

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                            only thing i know about this period is battle of nicopolis as described in Barbara Tuchman's "A distant mirror" I suppose you dont go that far (1398?) if you do you would need hungarians/franks civ.

LOTM
                            If modelling the scenario from the plot, then the starting year will be 1361 with Bursa as it's capital. The following year the Osmali capture Edirne (Adriana/Adrianopolis).

Made a new Unique unit, the icon of the Virgin Mary, which was shown on military parades and on the last day of Roman Constantinople....ominously it fell of its support and with difficulty-it became heavier-was put back...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Masis; July 11, 2001, 18:37.
                            MRP

Comment

Take a look here...

Byzantine studies' homepage. Check out their art section... terrific!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X