Scenario League dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario League dying?

For the first time since I started posting here I check in and there are no new posts and no new activity on any threads! Scary! This has now happened several times in the past week... Is the Scenario League dying?
    I guess that there has been very few new scenarios coming out in the last month and maybe a reduced level of interest despite some of the best work ever (Like Imperium Romanum).
    What are you, Scenario League stalwarts, turning your interest to these days... Are you still looking for new scenarios to play or is that time over until Civ3 comes out? Is there a new game out there capturing your interest?

I get the impression that unless I design something, nobody gives a rats-@ss about my opinion, so I don't even bother to answer in threads that I might have in the past.

------------------
    All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
    I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
    i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Nemo, I'm not looking forward to civ3. I haven't yet purchased a game by Firaxis that works right. I'm not about to buy another. From the advance info that's available, Firaxis has already screwed the whole thing up. The units are super-flashy, moving wireframes. How does a scenario designer deal with that?! Design new units? Forget it! Microprose put out good products over and over again; Civ1, MoM, Moo, Civ2, etc. But Firaxis hasn't put out a single game that actually works. My experience with them is that their so-called "support" is a joke. Their attitude seems to be; "we've made our money, now you consumers can take a hike."

They're gonna completely screw up civ3.

I'll be continuing with Civ2 for a long time. I'm working now on the Saxon Conquest scenario (by reading the Penguin translation of Bede). And just last night, I had an idea for an "Air War Over Europe" scenario. No way am I through with Civ2.

Salutations,
      Exile

[This message has been edited by Exile (edited March 23, 2001).]
      Lost in America.
      "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
      "or a very good liar." --Stefu
      "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

I'm still here, quietly working on my never-ending scenario in the shadows. Not to mention patiently awaiting your next release. |

Comment

Where can I get Imperium Romanum?

Comment

Although I haven't made any scenarios yet, I am working on a scenario taking place 1655-1660 each turn is one month and there is summer and winter, I will also change leader faces and other stuff like that.
            It is in playtesting right now infact
            No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

I'm not sure 'bout that, Nemo. I recall that there have been non-creative moments in the past. As for me, I'll be sticking with Civ2 as long as I feel that somebody cares about it.

quote:

I get the impression that unless I design something, nobody gives a rats-@ss about my
              opinion,

Are you sure? I've thought you were one of the best playtesters I've ever had, and I'm looking forward in working with you again.
              Follow the masses!
              30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

I am not done with civ2, I just lurk around the forums and reply when it's nessary, the problem it seems with the forum is that there is a missing of topics right now, I think it'll pass once the scenarios come out again but for now it's kind of inactive.

Civ3 I am looking forward to, it looks that it will be very good.

Stefan, when is that preview of your new scn going to be up?

Comment

everybody is still around but there haven´t been a lot of scenarios around lately

Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
                  Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
                  miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

I am also still here, slooowly working on ToTEdit and trying not to post because I get distracted to easily!

Comment

I think that if the Scenario League were to expand into CTP2 that might rejuvenate it. Offer some tips on it, I'd love to design some scenarios, and the tips you guys offer for Civ2 are great. If you could elaborate on the documents offered under the CTP2 section it'd help me a lot. If not, then I guess we'll have to wait until Civ3 to get some rejuvenation in the Scenario League.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Stefan Härtel on 03-24-2001 04:38 AM
                        Are you sure? I've thought you were one of the best playtesters I've ever had, and I'm looking forward in working with you again.

I didn't say I was giving up the game, Stefan. I don't care for the 'designer knows best' attitude of the league. Without the players, the scenarios are just so many bits of programing floating around cyber-space. But others don't think that way. Well, they can have it. I have other fish to fry.

------------------
                        I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by cpoulos on 03-24-2001 02:14 PM
                          I don't care for the 'designer knows best' attitude of the league. Without the players, the scenarios are just so many bits of programing floating around cyber-space. But others don't think that way.

I'm not sure why you are operating under this impression. Is it possible you misinterpreted some comment? I have never seen the "league" exhibit such tendencies, nor any of its "members".

I suspect the current dearth of activity may be related to certain new titles out there. I'm not a big fan of CtPII, though many people are; but Europa Universalis! Now there's a game! Frankly, that's the focus of my limited free time, currently. Plus, with the bar being raised so high by some of the recent scenarios, meaning more time and effort going into scenarios, some people may be starting to look down the road and having their design decisions influenced by the impending release of a new platform (a presumably incompatible CivIII).

Comment

I have contemplated making an alt-hist scenario set in the LoTR universe and redoing Star Trek: 7of9 as a generic Borg Invasion one, but I don't think there is a large-enough audience around for that to be worthwhile. Nevertheless, the forums are still visited by yours truly.

------------------
                            St. Leo
                            http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/ziggurat/
                            http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by RobRoy on 03-24-2001 03:45 PM
                              I have never seen the "league" exhibit such tendencies, nor any of its "members".

You haven't. I have.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X