No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Dominion War scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the support.

Finished in 152 turns? That is quite amazing if you played at commodore level. Care to furnish a few juicy details about your game?
    This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

I loved Dominion War! Kudos kobi! I passed it in 76 turns, but then I'm a whimp and played at the third level. Anyway, lotsa fun!

Vitmore

------------------
      "We should not go out and conquer the people, but give them no other choice in their minds but to be conquered." - Me
      "We should not go out and conquer the people, but give them no other choice in their minds but to be conquered." - Me

Comment

This is a brilliant scenario! The graphics, the sounds and the gameplay are all top-notch!

I think we have found a new Captain Nemo!
        "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

...What happened to the old one?
          The strategically impaired,
          -Cal

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Hanson on 03-19-2001 11:07 AM
            I think we have found a new Captain Nemo!

Thanks. There will be never a second Captain Nemo!
            (Although I am experimenting with a WWII scenario now)
            This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kobayashi on 03-16-2001 10:41 PM
              Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the support.

Finished in 152 turns? That is quite amazing if you played at commodore level. Care to furnish a few juicy details about your game?

I didn't keep a log, but the game went roughly like this
              (Played on the default level, Comodore I think)

Looked around at my planets, discovered there was little to be done to increase sheild production (except for building Data the Android, so that was made a research priority). Luxuries up to 30% in turn 1 to get my planets growing by WLTKD. Earth, Vulcan and several other planets without Orbital Yards switched to Clydesdales.

Lost Defiant, Bajor, Defiant II, Betazed and DS9 early on. Managed to hold on to everything else.

Once Earth had started DTA, Planetary Transit systems became my next priority.

Defiant III took two planets in the NorthWest, establishing a foothold.
              Relief forces arrived in time to save one and retake the other (Defiant III having been lost in the process). Played a defensive game near the Wormhole until the NorthWest had been fully pacified. By this time Null Space catapaults had shortened supply lines considerably. Tech coming in about every 3-4 turns.

Found the artifact that set up the Sisko events, and followed those for awhile. I'd just finished relocating the bulk of my forces from the NorthWest campaign, and had retaken Betazed and Bajor. Golanis had fallen
              and forces were massing for further conquests. Then the Breen showed up.

Many Norways and Steam Runners were bought (thanks to the magic of incremental rushbuilding and a healthy economy, my larger planets were in the 18-22 range by now).

Lost one planet to the Breen, retaken shortly thereafter and conquest of the Breen worlds followed.

With the Breen taken care of, the war in the West became easier and a second task force began the conquest of Cardassian space. Moving from West to East Federation forces encountered slight resistance at first, and easily conquered several outlying systems before pushing on to the major facilities and Cardassia herself.

The rest was just mopping up.

(BTW: in STBAQ the "First Contact" wonder is obsolete from the start. The Borg start with the tech that makes it obsolete.)

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

The scenario is great (art is amazing, gameplay is excellent) and since Star Trek is one of my favorite TV series (I must have seen nearly every episode, I followed DS9 and Voyager from beginning to end) I have to admit htat this scenario is great. My only complaint is the positioning of the planets (which I don't think you can do too much about). For example, Cardassia is right next to Bajor (as shown by Sisko being swept away to that system from Bajor in his solar sail craft), but that would either make the Cardies ( ) too strong or too weak in that region. The Breen homeworld is also in teh Alpha Quadrant, somewhere close to Romulan space, but if the player destroyed them early... well you get the picture.
                *grumbles about work*

Comment

To Toth,

I am just curious so I have some more questions. Seems you had a very good strategy. I wasn't able to finish myself until day 300.

Does that mean you did the entire campaign without sealing the wormhole?

Didn't you start to encounter dominion battleships? I had to kill about 60 battleships in my game. Maybe they don't appear in big numbers if you gain the upperhand early.

Does 'the rest was just mopping up' refer to taking Great Links after going through the wormhole?

To Shadowstrike,

Generally agree. I did consider the solar sail episode but in the end I considered it just one of those things that crop up when a different person pens each episodes. If Cardassia was next to Bajor, why did they have to fight all over the place for a few years after retaking Bajor? In the end I did a compromise and put Cardassia reasonably nearby and not at the bottom left corner. But as you put it there was no real way around the problem.

As for the Breen, they are in the Alpha Quadrant (in the sense that their private area is not connected to the Gamma quadrant). Guess I just walled them off to keep their homeworld hidden till the right time. Not an ideal solution but again as you put it there was no real way around this either.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kobayashi on 03-22-2001 02:14 AM
                    To Toth,

I am just curious so I have some more questions. Seems you had a very good strategy. I wasn't able to finish myself until day 300.

Does that mean you did the entire campaign without sealing the wormhole?

Didn't you start to encounter dominion battleships? I had to kill about 60 battleships in my game. Maybe they don't appear in big numbers if you gain the upperhand early.

Does 'the rest was just mopping up' refer to taking Great Links after going through the wormhole?

The wormhole was sealed (after the Sisco episode IIRC), but it didn't seem to make much difference. The Dominion didn't put enough effort into breaking through the self-replicating mines. By the time the wormhole was sealed, I was sending a few ships down the wormhole on hit and run raids.

I only saw three Dominion battleships the whole game. One came after Vulcan, and was fought off thanks to some quick rushbuying. Another was up in the Northwest. It was curiously timid after I took a shot at it with a torpedo. I had an Oberth flying around keeping tabs on it, but the battleship never engaged in combat.

The other appeared at the same time as the message about the Dominion shipyards.

'Moping up" Finishing off the last of the Dominion forces in the Alpha Quadrant and sending the fleet down the wormhole. I'd have finished the scenario a few turns earlier, but it took forever to relocate the fleet.

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Thoth on 03-22-2001 09:04 AM
                      The wormhole was sealed (after the Sisco episode IIRC), but it didn't seem to make much difference. The Dominion didn't put enough effort into breaking through the self-replicating mines. By the time the wormhole was sealed, I was sending a few ships down the wormhole on hit and run raids.

How could you be sending ships down the wormhole after it was sealed??? Did your Sisko find Sarah in the timeless void? I hope its not a bug. Anyway, as long as you enjoyed the game..that's all that matters.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kobayashi on 03-22-2001 12:09 PM
                        How could you be sending ships down the wormhole after it was sealed??? Did your Sisko find Sarah in the timeless void? I hope its not a bug. Anyway, as long as you enjoyed the game..that's all that matters.

No, I was sending ships down the wormhole *until* it was sealed. Sisko finding Sarah put an end to that sport for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                        X