Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek: Dominion War scenario

Dear Everybody,

I have submitted my latest scenario for review. It is different from STBAQ in that it is not a civilisation building game but rather a quest plus battles scenario. There will be new ships, terrain and races and this is not a re-hash of BAQ. The four square spiral galaxy example in my 'alternative uses for terain 2' tip will feature as well.

If you have any comments on STDW (or STBAQ for that matter) please post them here so that I can do improvements.

Thank You
    This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

I have a strategy guide for The Art of War for this scenario. I gotta try it out first.

Kobi, send it to my e-mail.
    Please Visit:
    http://aow.apolyton.net

And contribute if you can!

Comment

Hey, congrats on STBAQ: it was without a doubt the best Star Trek scenario I`ve ever played. If STDW is of the same standard, then I know what I`ll be spending too much of my time doing shortly.
      "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Star Trek for the Alpha Quadrant is an excellent scenario. The graphics, sounds and research tree are all very well done. I highly recommend this scenario to everyone. Basically, you colonize star systems throughout the Universe, while encountering various civilizations along the way.

I am looking forward to more scenarios from you

------------------
        Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
        That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

Comment

Dominion War is excellent so far...

and yes, it matches his first scenario.
          Please Visit:
          http://aow.apolyton.net

And contribute if you can!

Comment

Hi folks,

Sorry for the dealy, seems there was a slight problem with the S-League maibox. I've sent the zip files directly to Cam now so they should hopefully be appearing sometime in the very near future.

Anybody who can manage a win at Admiral level (or above) please post here for recognition. The hardest game I managed to win was at Commodore level, (and I know where everything is).
            This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

OK, its here! You can download both the game and sounds zip from the Spanish Civilisation site at Apolyton.

Just one thing to note: it says MGE only in the description - which is not true. STDW is a FW or above scenario. I will get jesus to change that.

Comment

I'll change it asap. Sorry 'bout that. I was misled by the enormous size of the events.txt file (22 K!!). What did you do to stuff such a big file in without the scenario crashing?

Comment

22.5k is roughly the maximum size for events in FW. There is a red bar in the events editor on the right that moves up as you add things and when it reaches the top you are not allowed to add anymore stuff. I think I am within five words of the limit after some experimentation.

Most of the messages that pop up now have been edited to the bare minimum compared to when I first started. You know, I had descriptions of how Worf killed Gowron and let Martok be the Chancellor. Now it just says "Martok suceeds Gowron." Also had to take out some other interesting messages which are irrelevant to the actual game - like how Jadzia was killed, why Sarah Sisko is actually a wormhole Alien and lots of other stuff.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kobayashi on 02-28-2001 04:14 AM
                    22.5k is roughly the maximum size for events in FW. There is a red bar in the events editor on the right that moves up as you add things and when it reaches the top you are not allowed to add anymore stuff. I think I am within five words of the limit after some experimentation.

I knew about the bar, that's one of the reasons I asked. The manual states 15 K maximum and I myself have verified this to be painfully true in my own scenarios. Everytime I exceeded that figure the scenario refused to load. I am really perplexed with this. Any other opinions, please?

[This message has been edited by Jay Bee (edited February 28, 2001).]

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you didn't know about the bar. What I meant was: I didn't do anything special, just filled in the events until the bar reached the top.

As for any other opinions, well if I am forced to come up with one:

The manual says that there is a 32k heap dedicated to events. I would surmise that different 'triggers' and 'actions' take up a different amount of space in memory not directly related to amount of code used in the events file. I use a lot of text messages in my events and presumably this kind of 'action' takes up the least amount of memory when civ is running since messages don't affect the game, they just appear. If the majority of actions were not message related, then the max size of the events file would then be 15k.

Comment

Yes, you are correct, the FW manual states 32K. 15K was probably the CiC limit, when I started with this business. Your explanation might be correct although I still wonder why yours is the only scen I know that gets beyond 15-18 K. I was under the impression as well that message texts take up the most space but I cannot substantiate it.

Comment

The STBAQ events file maxes out at 19.6k. So I guess its really different for each scenario - depending on what the events files contain.

Comment

Heh, heh, I knew getting you two together was a good idea!

------------------
                            All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
                            [This message has been edited by cpoulos (edited February 28, 2001).]
                            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                            i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kobayashi on 02-21-2001 03:19 AM
                              Dear Everybody,

I have submitted my latest scenario for review. It is different from STBAQ in that it is not a civilisation building game but rather a quest plus battles scenario. There will be new ships, terrain and races and this is not a re-hash of BAQ. The four square spiral galaxy example in my 'alternative uses for terain 2' tip will feature as well.

If you have any comments on STDW (or STBAQ for that matter) please post them here so that I can do improvements.

Thank You

Great job kobayashi! Two marathon days in front of the computer, and I've finished it off. 28 hrs, 152 turns. My back hurts, my eyes are bloodshot, but the Dominion is no more.

Seriously, this is one of the better (read: more enjoyable to me) scenarios I've played. Great looking, challenging and *FUN*.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
                              X