Scandinavian Slackers!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scandinavian Slackers!!!

How come no one has made a scenario set in northeastern Europe starting at about 1550? With Sweden, Denmark, Russia, Poland/Lithuania as major players, maybe Livonian Knights, Prussians (the Duchy was the first Protestant state although it was a vassal of Poland) Lübeck, the Hanseatic or Wendish Leagues as minor actors? Plus colorful personalities like Ivan the Terrible and Vasa. Alex Mor had made a bunch of units useable in this time period, including the "winged" Polish cavalry. There was almost constant fighting until 1721 - and speaking of that the Great Northern War scenario has a perfect map for this.

I have only seen one book in English on the subject. But there must be a lot of information in Swedish, Polish or even German.

So get to work you Nordic lazybones! Always wrecking the bell curve for other nations with your low crime and nice social programs....
    "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
    -OOTS

nice social programs....

Such a scenario would peak my interest.
    Re-elect Bush!

Comment

I didn't know there were Swedes on 'Poly.
      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

There is a scenario by Vegard Bjørketun about the great nordic war.
        My Historibus Europae runs from 1520-1721 but is on a european gigamap (both Sweden and Denmark are playable though).
        My Carolus Gustavus is about Sweden's meddling in the Polish deluge wars (the war started in 1648 but Sweden entered in 1655 and that's when the scenario starts) as well as the following Danno-Swedish war (if one would like to undertake it).
        I do believe Arne Schmied worked on something about the Hansa.

Historibus is available at the spanish civ site and Carolus Gustavus as well as the older version of Vegards scenario (by the name of Casus Belli, he was reworking this for a rerelease but I am not sure what became of that ) is available at the site in my profile /self promotion

This said I've begun to agree with you, a scenario on a scandinavian map (+some of Russia and Northern Germany) would be very nice... Might try it out once I finnish my current projects.
        No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Well I like your idea, but I'm a really crappy scenario designer Though if anyone is willing to create such a scenario I can help with digging fact etc.
          "Peace cannot be kept by force.
          It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Well, the idea about war over Livonia isn't bad.
            I know the historical context of it...
            But I have other work to do.
            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
            Middle East!

Comment

The scandinavians have good women. Big breasts.
              "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
              Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Palaiologos
                The scandinavians have good women. Big breasts.
                Most American's knowledge about the area is limited to the fact that that Sweden has a good bikini team.
                "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
                -OOTS

Comment

And the Greeks' too apparently.
                  Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Sweden seems to be a scary, atheistic land.
                    Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                      Sweden seems to be a scary, atheistic land.

Well not scary, but very atheistic. Since there is no god in this cruel world..

Seems like we should have this discussion in OT? :P

--

Btw, I've actually made a scenario about the area. It starts in 1200 A.D, but I don't have any plans to release it since I haven't changed much from the original game.
                      "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                      It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Normally I would say "why?", but Ming's angry... End of this question.
                        Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Daumen

Most American's knowledge about the area is limited to the fact that that Sweden has a good bikini team.

Ha!

Actually there was a poll ,some time ago, about which peoples the Greeks like the most. And the swedes came up first!

Swedish women have a big reputation here.
                          Very big....

Last edited by Palaiologos; July 13, 2003, 01:11.
                          "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
                          Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Well, in Polish rating, Italians and Americans were on the first place, with British and French after them; Sweden was on the fifth place, still higher than any other of our neighbours.
                            Middle East!

Comment

Errr, good idea, too bad i suck at scenario making. But one thing that would be cooler is a soviet invasion of sweden ^^

Comment

Working...
                              X