Unwanted Desertions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwanted Desertions

I've reached an impasse on a scenario I'm struggling with, and it's driving me nuts. The scenario deals with the WWI campaign in the Near East.

On March 1917, the Gaza front from the sea to Beersheba is ably defended by 10 static defenders who have been in place since December 1915 (the start of the scenario). The Allies slowly approach Beersheba with a railroad. Suddenly in April 1917, the AI decides to disband 9 of the static defenders, leaving the front very poorly defended!

March, 1917

April, 1917

Here are the stats on the units that get disbanded. They are homed to Gaza and Beersheba, but do not require any shields for support (Turk government is Fundy).

Gaza Line, FP, 0, 0.,0, 0a,10d, 2h,1f, 1,0, 1, Fun, 000100000000000

This is a scenario killer, so I'm desperate for any ideas on how to reduce the probability that this will happen.
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Tried this?

; Advanced unit fields

; G) General flags

; 01000000 barbarian unit will not expire: 1 - no expire
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Unfortunately, yes. Advanced unit field G settings are 11000010
      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Have you tried homeing them to more distant cities? (though this would eliminate the desired effect of the line falling apart as Gaza and Beersheba are taken).

BTW, nice Wadis
        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

On an unrelated note... How come that ship doesn't have a health bar!?
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

@Case: I'll giving rehoming a shot. The lack of a collapse post-capture of Gaza and Beersheba is still better than a collapse before their fall. Thanks for the wadi kudos. At least they're an improvement over the monstrous channels I had before.

@Merc: No, I haven't played with Sprites. The ship isn't a unit.
            El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Damn.
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Have you tried to use a different domain for the units? I've seen trirremes unit at year 1900 or 2000 in Civ2 standar, much later I've seen the last warrior - I wonder if the domain influences the AI desire to disband a unit
                Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

What unit slot are they? You get weird effects with units in the musketeer and knight slots. I try to avoid then althogether.
                  Re-elect Bush!

Comment

It's slot 53 (where slot 0 is the settler slot), but I've seen a similar problem with slots 76-79.

I'll try switching to domain 1, rng 0.
                    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Okay, I did some testing.

These had no effect:

Changing the home city
                      Changing the domain to air
                      Changing the role to attack, diplomacy, or trade

This prevented the desertion

Changing the obsolete tech to nil.

FP is a tech that makes most Turk units obsolete. I gave it to the Turks at the start to limit what the AI can build. Oddly, there are 91 other 'obsolete' Turk units on the map, including 10 of another 0mf defensive unit. Most but not all are farther from the Allied threats. None of these were disbanded

The desertions occurred one turn after the Turks received a tech that changed the units that could be built. Previously, only a single offensive unit could be built. After the tech, that unit became obsolete, but two defensive units could be built.

Looks like I'll need to revise the obsolete techs of my Turk units.
                      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

You should make a teaser thread boco. Those screenshots have picqed my interest.
                        Sea Kings TOT

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
                        Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Comment

Tease would be the word. This beast is on a sloooow schedule. You still want to be teased even if it doesn't start beta testing in earnest until August?
                          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
                            Tease would be the word. This beast is on a sloooow schedule. You still want to be teased even if it doesn't start beta testing in earnest until August?
                            of course we will. tease away.. tease away
                            "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                            It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Yeah I was teasing for Koykujitsu like 3 years ago

Comment

Working...
                              X