No announcement yet.

Bad mistakes during scenario creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I often times do a bunch of unit placing, changing cities etc, and rather than closing the program dont I might mistakenly hit endter which ends the turn and puts me a turn ahead of where I want to be.

Main thing is save, save, save. The thing I am working on now has at least 7 saves... and its still not ready.

-FMK.

Comment

I once made a hugely detailed map of Argentina. I worked on it for six months, changing this and that till I was finally happy. Then I realised that I had forgotten to make the world flat. When I made it flat, the country was divided in half.

*cries*

In another scenario, I had the bad idea of making another 'build.sav' with a similar name. I kept making updated in one of them, but forgot the delete the other one. I stopped working on it for a couple of months, then came back, and continued updating stuff on the WRONG one. I deleted the other one, thinking it was the old one, then realised that 'hey, didn't I correct this bug before argharghargharghoh****oh****oh****!'

Comment

Originally posted by El Awrence
        In another scenario, I had the bad idea of making another 'build.sav' with a similar name. I kept making updated in one of them, but forgot the delete the other one. I stopped working on it for a couple of months, then came back, and continued updating stuff on the WRONG one. I deleted the other one, thinking it was the old one, then realised that 'hey, didn't I correct this bug before argharghargharghoh****oh****oh****!'
        I've done this several times as well
        No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Härtel
          'what \hwät
          [i]pron[/] 1a - used as an interrogative in asking about an identity, nature, or value of a thing <what is this><what do they earn><whatis wealth without friends> or about the character, occupation, or position of a person<what do you think I am, a fool> b - used as an exclamation expressing surprise or excitement and frequently introducing a question <what, no breakfast>
          c - used in expressions directing attention to a statement that the speaker is about to make what> 2: that which: the one or ones that what get from my writings> 3: WHATEVER 1a what you will> [Old English whoet, neuter of wha "who]

This is all I could do for you, ottok, I hope that helps
          AND my one BIG mistake is maked SCANERIOS!

Comment

I haven't made too many mistakes yet, but then I haven't made that many scenarios.

Saving often is a very important thing indeed! I think that's the only big mistake I've made. Most of the others are quite recoverable using one of the many utilities around.

When I started making scenarios I didn't realise you should build your scenario as a savegame first, and only create the scenario when you're done... Then again, I've just learned you can simply load the scenario file as if it were a savegame too.

El Awrence: you didn't throw away that map, did you?
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Pap1723
              I had a wonder built inside of a city, then I deleted the city without the wonder being removed first and I lost the wonder, unable to be built from now on.
              You should have mentioned this earlier Pap; with hex-editing you can make the wonder buildable again! I made the same mistake in my project and found this:

Hex-Edit.txt

In section 3 it tells you how to reactivate wonders:

3. WONDERS
              (source Allard Höfelt)

Near the start of the saved game, at offset 266 until 321, is where all information about wonders is stored. All 28 wonders have 2 bytes of information for them, so in total the block for all wonders is 56 bytes long.

If the 2 bytes for a wonder are
              - FF FF : the wonder has not yet been built.
              - FE* FF : the wonder is destroyed (city where it stood is not stored).
              - otherwise the number is the city ID number. 00 00 the very first city built, etc.

* This document originally said EF, but that seems to be wrong.
              What wonder's missing btw?
              Unbelievable!

Comment

Uh, yesterday I used the CivEngineer* beta to remove all city present flags, rendering the cities inaccessible and iconless. Fortunately, I always make sequential SAV backups after every change so I only lost about three cities.

* the bloody thing won't add roads to all squares, though
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I should rename this thread to "The tale of woes". Just think how many great scenarios we might of had if it wasn't for a few seconds of madness or an untimely sneeze causing the click of the wrong button!

Anyway, it's all wonderfull info for new scenario designers such as myself. Geeze, some of these things I wouldn't even have dreamed of. Kinda backs up my idea of starting small and working up. But you know how it is when you've got something in your mind. And lets face it, the real reason for creating a scenario is that you yourself want to play it. That is the driving force behind my efforts anyway. Do scenario designers really learn from other people or do you have to make all of the mistakes for yourself?

Comment

I actually plan my scenrio on (gasp) paper, usually under a number of different headings (map, cities, resources, history, units) then move progressing down the list.
                    "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
                    "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

Mercator, no, of course I didn't. I even used it for my first proto-scenario... I simply divided the map with glacier where appropriate.

In any case, I ended up drawing a much nicer map later on.

Comment

Working...
                      X