No announcement yet.

Here I'm again!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I've found a very interesting map with a huge Europe (so I can cope the imperialism European theatre)as well as Asia and most of Africa. I think this is unique as even the gigamaps have a small Europe. This map is well suited for such projects where you need almost the whole world and want to put more than two cities in Europe .
    When you want to dance do it the trance way

Comment

oh forgot to post it in case somebody else will need it
      Attached Files
      When you want to dance do it the trance way

Comment

Just a little question . . .

From a typically insular Yankee.

Hey, Mike, are you mad at me for naming that city in Transylvania "Cluj?"

I only did it because is was a lot fewer letters than any other city name I saw. I'm really lazy.
        Lost in America.
        "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
        "or a very good liar." --Stefu
        "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Well, it depends on the time period of your scenario. I can only be mad at you if you are being historically inaccurate. Although I don't see what's so hard about "Kolozsvár".
          BTW, the Romanian equivalent is "Cluj-Napoca", so you still didn't get it right.
          Re-elect Bush!

Comment

And what exactly is Hungarian vision of Transylvanian history?
            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
            Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by MagyarCrusader
              Well, it depends on the time period of your scenario. I can only be mad at you if you are being historically inaccurate.
              What kind of time periods are we talking here? Its Cluj in a scen I'm working on at the moment... and I don't want you to get mad at me Magyar

My period is early 20th century, with Transylvania under the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Comment

Use Kolozsvár.
                After 1920, the city was renamed to Cluj-Napoca. However, in 1941 Northern Transylvania was given back to Hungary and all city names in the region were restored, included Kolozsvár.(until it was invaded by Russians and Romanians in late 1944)

Heresson, I assume Siedmiogród is from the German word "Siebenbürgen", which I think means something like 7 castles, or 7 cities, which would describe the extinct Transylvanian Saxons' holds. Does Siedmiogród have any specific meaning in Polish, or is it just a Polish adaptation from the German word? The Hungarian word for Transylvania is "Erdély", which means beyond the forest. I guess Transylvania is the latin interpreation of the word. Romanians call it "Ardeal", a phonetic interpreation of the Hungarian Erdély, and it has no root meaning in their language.
                Re-elect Bush!

Comment

It's a bit old-Polish I think, no-one uses word gród now.
                  It ment old fortified city-villages.
                  Yes, it means Seven cities.
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                  X