Unsolved Mysteries of Civ2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsolved Mysteries of Civ2

This is a thread dedicated to the great unsolved mysteries of Civ2. If you have one, post it here. If you have the answer, here is where you can reveal the secret.

My contribution: I've always wondered, when setting the special rules for a scenario, what does 'Special WWII-only AI' actually do?
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

A related question: Why didn't they take that option out before they shipped the game?
    "The self is a relation that relates itself to itself, or is the relation's relating itself to itself in the relation; the self is not the relation but is the relation relating itself to itself." -Kierkegaard, at one of his less lucid moments

Tremolando shows rage! Sforzando shows excitement! C Minor means gravity!–D Minor means terror!...Round and round like donkeys at a grindstone! -Amadeus

Comment

What were they going to use Plumbing for?
      -rmsharpe

Comment

My question: What are the Arabs and Incas doing in the rules.txt and were they going to be implemented.

Techumseh: The WW2 AI has something to do with the WW2 scenario that came with Civ2 and ensured some status of treaties. If you engage it in a normal scenario, you'll probably crash it
        Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

I've always wondered, when setting the special rules for a scenario, what does 'Special WWII-only AI' actually do?

It makes the Axis tribe stay at war with the Allied tribe

What were they going to use Plumbing for?

The Aqueduct.

What are the Arabs and Incas doing in the rules.txt and were they going to be implemented.

They are spares that will work if you sub them in for an existing tribe because they also have definitions in city.txt.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

How much money did Microprose really make as a result of their decision to chop the MP code out of Civ 2 before it was released?
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by Case
              How much money did Microprose really make as a result of their decision to chop the MP code out of Civ 2 before it was released?
              A sh!tload.

Comment

When you conquer a city which has only one inhabitant left it usually gets destroyed but in my last game I captured three cities with only one citizen left but all of them stayed? So my question is: Does anybody know when a city with 1 person left get destroyed by conquering and when not?
                When you want to dance do it the trance way

Comment

If it has city walls?

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Hmmm that might be the trick but sometimes when I take a city the walls get destroyed and the city also. Do the computer choose randomly which improvements get destroyed?
                    When you want to dance do it the trance way

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial-Markus
                      Hmmm that might be the trick but sometimes when I take a city the walls get destroyed and the city also. Do the computer choose randomly which improvements get destroyed?
                      No - SlowThinker tested and found that improvements are clumped in 3 categories, one of which is destroyed upon sacking the city. I can't remember the details, you could search the archives of the CivII Strategy forum, tho...
                      The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                      intelligence to few.

Comment

OK, St. Leo - here's one for you. They say in the manual that you shouldn't use the WWII AI option because it will almost certainly make your game crash. Why is this so?

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I've also wondered about that WWII AI thing, there must surely be a way that option can be put to good use in some scenario (apart from that WWII one).

I also just did a little testing with the size-1 cities... I tested it on Deity and Warlord level (using FW). Some with City Walls, some with a Wonder, some with a black citizen, some with a red one, a normal one or a happy one, with a courthouse, marketplace, temple and/or aquaduct. I also tried it with varying degrees of Food Storage. They all disappeared. These were by no means thorough tests, but if difficulty level, happiness, food storage or city improvements would be involved in whether a size-1 city remains or not, it would certainly only modify a random number.
                          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

This is directly from the complete guide to scenario building:

Special WWII Only AI

When the game manual says not to use this one, it's not kidding. You should pretend this option doesn't exist, because there's no way you can use it productively.

The WWII scenario was designed for the most part by a programmer. Unfortunately, in early versions of the scenario, the computer-controlled civilizations did not act like their historical counterparts. To overcome this failing ( and because he could), he wrote a specific set of instructions for the AI in that scenario. Those instructions cannot be applied to any other scenario, and Civilization II is likely to crash if you try it.
                            Remember, the ww2 scenario was designed before events files, and it probably stipulates that the German and Allied civs stay at war, and where the German civ should send its submarines (ie the atlantic rather than the baltic).

Comment

It would have been more useful if they'd detailed exactly what those instructions were instead of issuing dire warnings against trying it out. It certainly doesn't crash any scenario I've seen which had this flag enabled.
                              "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

Working...
                              X