I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help

whenever I try using a units file that has been made by copying and pasting it won't work the main game or in a scenario. it just gives my an illegal op screen. Why?

I need more info. Copying and pasting with what?
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

the paint program that comes with windows. I open one file with units in it copy a unit and paste it into the units file.

Comment

I don't use Paint, but I gave it a try and there was no problem. Are you sure the units gif. you are pasting INTO is an actual Civ2 units gif. , with the original color palette?

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

color palette? im not familiar with the term. oh and I haven't had this problem since I've had Civ2. so Im very confused.

Comment

Color palette is the selection of colors used in the gif. file which Civ2 makes use of. A different palette is a different selection of colors, and Civ2 won't use it.

more questions:

Are we talking Civ2 Fantastic Worlds or Gold Edition, or is it Test of Time (which uses bmp. files)?

Is the units file one you've copied directly from the game?

Has the new units file been properly designated? ie. Units gif.

If you have the right file format and palette in the units file you are pasting into, and it's named properly, it should work, even if the unit you are pasting was copied from a file of a different file format or palette.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

it's civ2 but it has the mge "patch". I assume that might the problem.
              yes its the units file copied from the game
              yes its been properly designated

Comment

Can you attach the file?

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I deleted it, I'll go make anothe though. wait here!

Comment

... now Im really confused ... I changed the units.gif but it didn't change in the game... so I went back to the dirctory and theres a units.bmp... so I changed that too. It all of a sudden decided to work. In lost.

Comment

the Units file must stay in the SCN directory, or it'll never work.
                      "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
                      "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
                      "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Because you're using the MGE patch . . .

I'd stick with using BMP files instead of gifs. Much easier to work with.
                        Lost in America.
                        "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                        "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                        "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Working...
                        X