Post-WW2 scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-WW2 scenarios

Can anyone recommend me some good scenarios depicting the whole world, set after World War 2? This includes Cold War scenarios and any scenarios about the modern, post-USSR situation (like New World Order, the only scenario of this kind I do know about.)

While there are good scenarios (I always liked Gulf War 2000 even though its dated now), it's hard to game the Cold War in Civ2 terms. After all, the main way to get things done in a Civ2 scenario is conquer cities, which what 40 years of Cold War geopolitics was designed to prevent. Believe me, I have thought long and hard about trying to do a good Cold War scen. The best I could do was to convince Fast Eddie to make up lists of units

I did a scenario (I believe the filename is centasia.zip in the Apolyton archives) about Central Asia in the post USSR days. It was my second scenario and truthfully it's not that great. It has gotten topical in the past eight months or so . . .
    "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
    -OOTS

Comment

Something with different objectives might work for a Cold War scen - you're right, conquering cities wasn't exactly the point of that 'conflict'. I think it'd also work as an MP or PBEM scenario.

Re 'post-USSR scenarios', I was particularly looking for a depiction of the whole world during the period, rather than localised conflicts. Apart from New World Order, there don't seem to be many good simulations of the present (which includes the 90s as well as now) world situation.

Comment

My scenario 'Raging Dragon' covers most of Euroasia...
        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by winterfritz
          Re 'post-USSR scenarios', I was particularly looking for a depiction of the whole world during the period, rather than localised conflicts. Apart from New World Order, there don't seem to be many good simulations of the present (which includes the 90s as well as now) world situation.
          I've been playing around with the idea of a "Cruel Sea" - type scenario (Hope that name isn't copyrighted ) set in 1996+ featuring a rampaging China (with tacit Russian material support) launching a general offensive against a number of SE-Asian countries/territories - Taiwan, Phillipenes, Hong Kong, Spratleys, etc. Basically the Player leads the USN against PRC air and naval assets with land units playing a very minimal part.
          Its not exactly global of course ...

PS: No need to mention this "original idea" to a certain Mr Clancey.

Comment

you mean like the book Submarine that he wrote for the computer game?

Comment

i found this scenario called ColdWarX a long time ago. its nowhere near the level of scenarios made today, but if your desperate for a cold war scenario, it'll do.
              Attached Files

Comment

After seeing Second Front, I envisioned a game where you controlled 2 nations - a superpower and a proxy civ. The superpower does little but make money, freight, and immobile combat units, which it can give (along with cash) to the proxy. The proxy civ has Leo's Workshop, which upgrades the immobile units into functioning armed forces. Depending on various conditions, the cold war could always heat up into a conventional one - then you switch to a more active set of rules.txt and slug it out.

Could this work? Is it worth proceeding out of the dreaming stage into testing?
                -OOTS

Comment

PS Where can I find the aforementioned Cruel Sea and Raging Dragon scens?
                  -OOTS

Comment

civfanatics has them

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Daumen
                      After seeing Second Front, I envisioned a game where you controlled 2 nations - a superpower and a proxy civ. The superpower does little but make money, freight, and immobile combat units, which it can give (along with cash) to the proxy. The proxy civ has Leo's Workshop, which upgrades the immobile units into functioning armed forces. Depending on various conditions, the cold war could always heat up into a conventional one - then you switch to a more active set of rules.txt and slug it out.

Could this work? Is it worth proceeding out of the dreaming stage into testing?
                      i think you would need to make it a hotseat game, like second front. that way you would control both civs. however, you would need to turn off diplomacy between your two civs and make them permanently allied. and leo's can always be changed so that it doesn't become obsolete. this idea just might work...

Comment

however, you would need to turn off diplomacy between your two civs and make them permanently allied
                        You need the diplomacy active to allow gift giving. Between a house rule and an event setting attitudes each turn you should maintain a beautiful relationship.
                        -OOTS

Comment

Event setting attitude? This has got to be a ToT command, right?

Comment

in case nobody has mentioned them, there are some good scenarios by Techumseh about Vietnam and Congo.
                            Re-elect Bush!

Comment

but they're ToT, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X