If you don't have this, you can't have that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you don't have this, you can't have that

Hi guys. I need help on city improvement/unit prerequisites. Sometimes even if you have the required tech, you still don't get to build certain improvements. Here's my list, please give comments. It will be a great help! Thanks.

Library, University, Research Lab -- cannot build latter ones without first having earlier ones.

Marketplace, Bank, Stock exchange -- same as above

Aqueduct, Sewing System -- same as above

Can't build power plant, hydro plant, nuclear plant or solar plant, or manufacturing plant without a factory

power plant, nuclear plant, hydro plant, solar plant: when a latter one is built, earlier ones cannot be built

can't build coastal improvements (4 of them) if not a coastal city

can't build granary, cathedral, power/hydro/nuclear plant, police station, research lab if corresponding wonders are yours and haven't expire

capital city cannot build courthouse
    ----------------------------------------------

cannot build slot 8 unit (fanatics) if not under fundi government

cannot build attack 99 units if Manhattan Project hasn't been built (can build even if MP has been destroyed)

cannot build ships if not costal city (this I don't quite clear. Does 'ship' mean domain=2, or AI role=2 or 4? How about domain 3 units? can they be built in non-coastal cities?
    ----------------------------------------------

Anything else?

Like the Manhatten Project dependency, you can't build space ship parts until the Apollo project has been built.
    "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
    --

Comment

I've heard that cities have to have acess to a river to be able to build hydro plants. Is this correct?
      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Gothmog: thanks!

Case: from my investigation to a dozen cities so far seems that is the case.

Comment

Re: If you don't have this, you can't have that

I think any source of water (i.e. River or Ocean)within the city radius is sufficient for a Hydro Plant.

cannot build ships if not costal city (this I don't quite clear. Does 'ship' mean domain=2, or AI role=2 or 4? How about domain 3 units? can they be built in non-coastal cities?
          A ship is a domain 2 unit. AI roles only deal with how the AI handles them. I don't really know how well it handles sea units with "non-water" AI roles though, but that isn't the issue here. Domain 3 units can be built anywhere.

I also thought the size of the body of water mattered for being able to build ships, but at least in ToT it doesn't matter.
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Hydo Plants . . .

Can also be built in cities that are adjacent to mountain tiles.

Exile
            Lost in America.
            "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
            "or a very good liar." --Stefu
            "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Re: Hydo Plants . . .

Originally posted by Case
              I've heard that cities have to have acess to a river to be able to build hydro plants. Is this correct?
              Originally posted by Mercator
              I think any source of water (i.e. River or Ocean)within the city radius is sufficient for a Hydro Plant.
              Originally posted by Exile
              Can also be built in cities that are adjacent to mountain tiles.
              Well, I was definitely wrong there ... I checked it some more, and the city needs to be adjacent to or on top of a river or mountain square.

Originally posted by Xin Yu
              power plant, nuclear plant, hydro plant, solar plant: when a latter one is built, earlier ones cannot be built
              The Hydro Plant and Nuclear Plant are the other way around. It's Power Plant, Hydro Plant, Nuclear Plant and Solar Plant (which also happens to be the order in the "city build list").
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

You can get around the non-coastal city restrictions using Gothmog's Civ tweak program.

In ToT one can build the unit in the nuke slot without the MP wonder. Being able to build the unit in the nuke slot changes the diplomacy messages however.

I'm curious Xin Yu, why do you need to know this? Are you writing a paper on the topic?

Comment

My guess is that it's needed for his production management program.
                  No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Originally posted by William Keenan
                    In ToT one can build the unit in the nuke slot without the MP wonder.
                    The attack value = 99 triggers the MP restriction, not the nuke slot in the units.gif file. (MGE, anyway)

IIRC, a city that starts the game landlocked, then has terrain changed to be coastal, still does not gain the ability to build naval improvements or units. Anybody know this for certain?

Ships can be built in a city no matter how small the puddle next to it. Ocean tile is ocean tile.
                    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                    intelligence to few.

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
                      IIRC, a city that starts the game landlocked, then has terrain changed to be coastal, still does not gain the ability to build naval improvements or units. Anybody know this for certain?
                      That's correct. The coastal flag for cities seems to be set in stone when the city is founded.
                      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

That's true, although you can change it if you use a program like CivCity, or if you hex-edit the correct part of the save game file.
                        "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

temples wont work unless you have ceremonial burial (dont know how other techs/wonders effect this)

cathedrals wont work unless you have monotheisim (again, see above)
                          A proud citizen of the only convicted terrorist harboring nation!

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!

Comment

0 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024

20 = 1, doofus.
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                            X