Pbem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pbem?

Is there anyone who can give me and maybe Scott a crash course on how PBEM's work. I do believe that I don't even know where to start on one of these things.
    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton
    "Guinness sucks!" -- Me

yup

Henrik and I are working on a text that should be of help to everyone. I'll see if Markos wants to put it up on the site. If not, I'll just post it. Sit tight.

-FMK.

Comment

Excelent

Just one question, What makes a scenario suitable for PBEM Games? I'm seriously considering setting up a PBEM game of my scenario 'Raging Dragon'.
      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

What makes a suitable PBEM game?
        well i would say that almost all the sides should be playable. Ie 2194days and TSFE and Age of war make good pbems but Red Front wouldnt
        Raging dragon. Well i think if you had everyone with a playable side it could be intresting
        Maps, Maps, MORE MAPS!!!!

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"

Comment

Originally posted by Case
          Just one question, What makes a scenario suitable for PBEM Games? I'm seriously considering setting up a PBEM game of my scenario 'Raging Dragon'.
          As you asked for this a short description of what a pbem "friendly" scenario is like was added
          It's really simple though, what you need to do is make sure that it is well balanced and that as many civs as possible is suitable for human players.
          No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

OK, on those grounds Raging Dragon looks pretty damn suitable (there are 6 1/2 playable civs)

How should I set the negotiation limits in the events?
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Comment

Raging PBEM

Case, do not include any negotiation stuff in the events. Because PBEMS are fluid and unique, you should want full ability of all players to conduct diplomacy. Also, arent' the Chinese heavily event supported with units and such? You should remove those as well if a human player is to controll the Chinese.

Also, Markos seems interested, so this help text thingy might get posted shortly.

-FMK.

Comment

Thanks FMK. I was planning on doing that (I'll set China and Russia permanently at war though).

Comment

Originally posted by Case
                  I'll set China and Russia permanently at war though.
                  Why?

The thing is that PBEMS almost need to defy what was supposed to happen in a sense. In a WWII game, Germany will probably invade France first only because it is the proper thing to do, not what is set forth in the game. Permanence is a stagnent thing in my mind. I would have them set to war, and allow the players to decide what.when and how things will happen. But hey, do what choo want meng. Choo know?

Comment

I am definitely interested in a Raging Dragon PBEM, but does it work if I start it in MGE and pass it on to someone with FW or vice versa?
                    Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

as far as i know you cant play pbems unless you have MGE

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"

Comment

Untill Markos posts it...

Here is the PBEM Guide that Henrik and I made up. Hope it helps y'all.

-FMK. (and Henrik)

Attached Files

Comment

Muchos gracias

Thanks for the help

Case- how long before a RD PBEM is ready?

Anzac- I look foward to meeting you on the feild of battle.
                          "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton
                          "Guinness sucks!" -- Me

Comment

Re: Muchos gracias

Originally posted by Jimmywax
                            Case- how long before a RD PBEM is ready?
                            It's ready
                            I'm just waiting on a PM before I open it to all comers. (So far I've invited the 3 people who were of most help in making my scenarios)

Could PBEM buffs please give me a or to the following settings:
                            *No events limits on negotiations
                            * Russia and China always at war (if the players want a ceasefire, then they are welcome to arange it between themselves )
                            * Some units and money are given by events (but no-where near the extent of the SP version)

Comment

I would say that just take the negotiation events out and leave the rest in. well take out some of the things like NATO getting hundreds of those bloody AEGIS crusiers when one is killed. take anything out which would unbalanc gameplay. And dont make china and russia always at war. You never know they might come to their senses and make peace and also take out any declare war triggers you have in any events because that kinda dictates the play otherwise

Comment

Working...
                              X