Coldwar Espionage Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grothga, the "SWAT" name was just temporary, that is why I stated:

SWAT but better (like the dudes from Rainbow Six)
    Do you know the technical name for these dudes?

Scott, I am reading a book called "Smiley's People" by John Le Carre (the guy who did 'Spy Who Came in from the Cold', which is a very realistic and well done spy book, but if I get the chance, I will read that book.
    "It woulda been nice to have naked midgets serving us cocktails everyday." - Brandon Boyd of Incubus

"...gays who, because they just NEEDED their orgies..." -Mr. A. Speer

Comment

how about an event about the glomar explorer? it was a ship built by the CIA to raise a soviet submarine (a golf class i think) off the bottom of the atlantic. there could also be a russian event too about raising the USS Scorpion from the bottom of the atlantic. another ocean event could when those atom bombs were lost in the mediterranean and the us navy had to search the ocean floor for them.

if you have nuclear submarines for both sides, have an event saying "soviet and american subs again bump into each other while playing cat and mouse games. this time the game was a fatal for the soviet/american crew."

how about kidnapping/killing high ranking military or scientists or politicians as a task?

if you make most cities into a unit, when ever a spy/saboteur kills the unit an event says "soviet spys steal important military secrets from the not so secret military research base in Los Angeles" and then have another Los Angeles city unit placed

make the spys be destroyed after attacking maybe because their cover has been blown

Comment

Tower, I love the idea of raising ships from the sea floor! the sunken ship could be an 'airunit' and the salvaging ship could have the ability to 'salvage' the ship. Also the ideas for capturing VIPs is really good, now it get to use some of Nemo's general units! I'm going to keep cities as cities, but I will have R&D and military compounds that can be raided to recieve technology.

Also, I think I will include other factions into the spy game, besides NATO and the USSR. Terrorist groups and smuggling rings, as well.

Oh, any ideas on special terrain? I want to do the map soon. thanks
        "It woulda been nice to have naked midgets serving us cocktails everyday." - Brandon Boyd of Incubus

Comment

My $0.02

Hobbes, here's how I see this scenario as working:

As the AI is far too dumb to use spys or raid effectivly, I beleive that this scenario is going to have to be designed solely for play by one side. For this suggestion, let's say the west (CIA, MI-6, etc) is chosen.

Map: Use a map of the USSR. As for special terrains, how about restricted areas (high movement cost to slow down spys), Gulags, urban areas, and borders (high movement cost and low defencive value)

Objective: the Player (playing as the west) has to attempt in infiltrate spy units into the USSR and perform espionage and sabotage activities.

How it works: Set the USSR and west at war with each other (provided the West can't have its cities taken, and spys are too weak to defend captured cities this shouldn't cause any major problems). Now the player has to move its spys about and attempt to gain technologies via spying on cities and destroying (or 'capturing') various special targets.

Also, at random(?) intervals, the player could be set special goals to accomplish (eg, smuggling defectors out of the country, stealing military equipment, etc)

At the end of the scenario the player calculates their sucess or failure by comparing the number of objective they achieved (techs stolen & units killed) with the numbers of units they lost carrying out these objectives.

BTW, In the intelligence community, people who perform covert military attacks are called 'operatives' (normal spys are 'agents')
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbes
            Oh, any ideas on special terrain?
            uranium deposits on mountains, nuclear test ground(worthless terrain) looks like desert. on eternal's website he has gulf war scenario that has a heavy industry and industry terrain maybe you can use those as a the terrain outside cities (suburbs?) or as military research buildings. the site is here

Comment

Okay, how the scenario works:

Since the AI is dumb, there will be probably specific scenarios geared for each side. The map will consist of Europe, parts of Asia and Africa.

The USSR and NATO, are NOT at war, however there will be 'war' between MI6 and KGB, as well as war between KGB and NATO, and MI6 and the USSR. So, MI6 cannot capture USSR cities, KGB cannot capture NATO cities, but the two secret services can capture each other's bases, even though there usually isn't much point.

The Civs:
              The USSR
              NATO
              MI6- playable
              KGB- playable
              Afghanistan
              SPECTRE
              Neutrals

The objective of the game is to give your side the advantage, by stealing technology, and making sure your enemy doesn't steal yours, because, if they steal enough techs, they can research a 'doomsday' tech that will end the game.

Normal attacking units are called "secret agents", and ones who have the espionage ability are called "moles"

This is incomplete, but I hope this gives an outline of how this scenario works.

Comment

Hobbes, are you planning to create the map from scratch? There's a map called Silkroad which covers the area your talking about with a good deal of accruacy.
                'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

really? cool! I've been looking for one all over. I see if I can find it.

Comment

ahh, the map covered a bit too much area, not enough for detail. But, doing it from scratch is fun anyway.

Comment

Hobbes, you should get that map editting program. You could change the map into a .bmp, crop off parts you don't want, resize it as necessary, turn it back into a map. That's what I did to make my NATOPact map.

Comment

Hobbes, did you ever see Dr. Strangelove? your doomsday device is alot like the doomsday ship from that movie. the ship had tons of nuclear weapons onboard and was programed to detonate if any nuclear explosion happened anywhere in the world.

Comment

I have a few ideas concerning an espionage scenario. However, because of phone line problems, I won’t be able to check the forum very often. So I’ll put my two bits in and check in a week to see what people think.
                          Unfortunately, my ideas are somewhat opposed by what I’ve seen so far.

I envision a huge, multifile ToT scenario that consists of a gigamap of the world and approx. 30+ cities on it. Next to each city there would be a thing that lets you go to other maps called a city entrance. Now on these other maps we would design actual cities. This scenario would have 5 agencies (CIA, MI6, KGB, Mossad and SPECTRE) 2 civilizations that would actually own the cities on the wold map (US-Aligned and Soviet- Aligned) and a rogue civilization (Barbarians) for terrorist activities. The way that I would do it is use this to mimic the actual events of the Cold War. YOU could run through cities assassinating Black September leaders and ferrying Jewish refugees to Israel. YOU could try to rescue hostages in the Iranian embassy and combat Osama Bin Laden. YOU could find and “neutralize” resistance to the Communist party, and of course, YOU could steal the others’ technologies. The scenario would begin in 1950 with the Korean War and end in 2000 with the African embasssy bombings and maybe go further to include fictitious missions that never really happened.
                          Those are my ideas, do with them what you will. I won’t be back for a week or more.
                          "If you are not confused by quantum physics, then you haven't really understood it." -Niels Bohr
                          "The true test of your character is what it takes to stop you." -Dr. Bob Jones Sr.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Woehr
                            I envision a huge, multifile ToT scenario the others’ technologies.
                            Dear God, NO!

Unfortunately, my ideas are somewhat opposed by what I’ve seen so far.
                            Thank heavens there's no way i'm going to go out and buy TOT just to okay this scenario

Go with FW or Multiplayer Gold

Comment

No worries, mon! It's going to be in FW.

Comment

Working...
                              X