Coldwar Espionage Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coldwar Espionage Scenario

Well, the other day I saw the movie "The Russia House", which was really good and I am also reading an espionage book by John Le Carre, called "Smiley's People" and now I have an idea for a scenario!!!

Okay, it's about the KGB vs. MI6(along with the CIA and INTERPOL) vs. some private renegade agencies (such as SPECTRE).
    And it would take place in Europe, most of Asia and parts of Africa, with some of the Civs being the Europeans, the USSR, the KGB (playable), MI6 and friends (also playable), etc.

Anywho, I have a few interesting ideas, but I need help! Anyone have any ideas this scenario?
    "It woulda been nice to have naked midgets serving us cocktails everyday." - Brandon Boyd of Incubus

"...gays who, because they just NEEDED their orgies..." -Mr. A. Speer

i think its going to extrememly hard to do. and will probably be event driven. some event suggestions: CIA aiding afghan rebels, terrorist attacks in the middle east, stealing nuclear secrets from each other and industrial espionage. i have no idea how you'll do it but i'd love to see it done.

sounds really hard though

Comment

Can stealing a technology trigger a recieved technology event?

If it can then this scenario could work very well indeed as by aquring technologies players could be rewarded for sucess, and scoring determined by the technologies the player has stolen by the end of the scenario
      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Yes, Case, that is the idea!! stealing techs trigger certain things. Also, yes, the scoring would be determined in who has the edge in the technology race. But, you also have to work on counter espionage, because if your enemy has the overall edge, nuclear war will errupt.

H tower, I know it sounds complicated, but I have most of it worked out in my head (which doesn't always work in Civ2)

and I like the aiding of the Afghans, I hadn't thought of that.

... more ideas!
        "It woulda been nice to have naked midgets serving us cocktails everyday." - Brandon Boyd of Incubus

Comment

If the CIA is involved, don't forget to give them points for overthrowing democracies that aren't worshipful and allied...

It sounds like a tough scenario to design. Even if you only get it half working, there might be enough innovation to interest plenty of other people! Would you make a whole range of espionage units, or just use the original two?

What about making some units be things like secret documents, codes, or such? Events could give the "killer" of such a unit gold or tech or units. Which calls for non-espionage spy units - the gun toting goons, perhaps. Or traps.
          The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
          intelligence to few.

Comment

Marquis, yes codes, very good idea! okay here are some units:

General Use:
            secret agent
            snipers
            SWAT but better (like the dudes from Rainbow Six)
            Spy plane
            mole
            etc

Units used only by the actual nations (NATO, USSR):
            police- always movable- can only operate around a city
            army- some not movable until war breaks out
            tanks- not movable until war breaks out
            planes- some not movable unit war breaks out
            artillery- not movable until war breaks out
            etc

then of course there will be specific units for each nation and secret service. examples:

Afghan militia
            Mig-25 Foxbat
            James Bond
            Red Oktober
            etc

Then the units that are created by the events:

Informer - 'attack' to get message
            defector - 'attack' to join your side
            crashed U2 spy plane
            border guards
            etc

what do y'all think? other units?

Comment

Hobbes, instead of bringing in army units, why don't you just limit the scenario to epionage and counter-espionage? This will keep the scenario simple and focused.

Some other units:

Los Angeles Class submarine - these American attack subs were used to land agents and tap underwater phone lines

Embassy - an invincible unit within a foreign country that can be used to shelter spys.
              'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Comment

Case, you're right, I was thinking before and I though that military units would be unnecessary, because war is declared between NATO and the USSR, it's game over anyway, so I'm not going to put military units in the game, except for when russia invades Afghanistan (if I put that in the scenario).

Embassy? Submarines? Damn, Case, these are some nice ideas!

oh, here are some of the units:
                from left to right- KGB "swat team", MI6 swat team, secret agent, hitman/goon, MI6 Mole, KGB Mole (note: the same graphic as the mole, is used for the British and Russian diplomats, so it's hard to tell them apart- sneaky)

Comment

here they are:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hobbes, those units look great!

I'd sugest that you rename the 'SWAT teams' as either paramilitary or special forces.

Comment

MI6 is the british intelligence foreign service. We dont have "SWAT" teams we have individual agents that work seperately from each other to minimise the risk of mass discovery. Anyone seen the James Bond Movies lol. By the way thought hobbes those units do look rather good. I might have to sneak one into my scenario For an espionage scenario you might want to include the SAS which are the worlds best anti terrorist/anti intelligence armed force. And its british lol. they do some intelligence work on behalf of MI6 anyway so you should include them. for SAS think Delta Force but 100 times better
                      Maps, Maps, MORE MAPS!!!!

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"

Comment

by the way dont you think the double agents should have moustaches lol

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"

Comment

Originally posted by Grothgar
                          I might have to sneak one into my scenario
                          Grothgar how is your scenario going?

Comment

There is an excellent book on Cold War submarine espionage called Blind Man's Bluff. It's available in novel-sized paperback for like six dollars. I highly recommend it. It would probably provide you with some excellent ideas for submarine espionage missions and such.

Comment

My scenario

at the moment i have to sort out the events file and place the units and sort out the city improvements. and then i will release it for playtesting. But i have Civ2 burn out at the moment so im trying to muster up enough enthusiasm to continue but i will succeed

Comment

Working...
                              X