New Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scenario

It is "THE AGE OF WAR." It runs from 1900-1950. The playable civs are Turkey, Spain, Germany/Austria, Russia, England, Italy, and France. Several neutral nations are "Barbarian." This version is still in the process of being tech-tree and unit tweaked, but I would welcome any playtesters' comments. Just finished the map and settings last night. It has 255 cities and the research for the correct population figures is there. Fleet strengths are accurate. Rail nets are accurate. Small events file. Very reworked tech tree. Each turn is 2 months.

The scenario was conceptualized when I realized that too often in the default game I was unsatisfied with the late industrial era. It seems that just when you have the tech to build an industrial army, (rifles, artillery, cavalry, and maybe some fighters) by the time you get an army built, your opponents have zoomed ahead with the tech race to the point where your newly-built army is now obsolete. You know that's its too late when you start getting hit by cruise missles. So I designed this scenario for myself, to revel in the period of industrial warfare; the World Wars. Most of the naval units cannot deliver coastal attacks and there are no submarines--submarine warfare is handled in a different way, via events. The scenario was constructed on the Emperor setting, and most civs have a large number of cities. Civil unrest will be a continuing problem. Although the Spanish and Turkish civs are rather lackluster, they are playable, though not to the extent that the French, English, Russians, Italians, and especially Germans are. There are a few civ-specific units, but most of the units are reminicent of a modpack-type approach. Different civs do face different problems, however. The game starts with all civs except France and England in fiscal crisis, so establishing trade routes is imperative and can be accomplished quickly, as all powers have a good number of freight units already on the board. There is a strong impetus to peaceful relations during the first 50 turns or so while the civs pull their economies together.

If you'd like a copy, let me know and I'll send one to you.

Salutations,
    Exile
    Lost in America.
    "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
    "or a very good liar." --Stefu
    "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Send it to me
    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

I'll take one too.

Exile, nice Avatar. I've seen it somewhere before...

Ioanes
      Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
      http://john.jfreaks.com
      -The Artist Within-

Comment

Sounds great - I'll have one too, if you please.

Comment

Hey exile ill playtest it finnished my exams today so ill be putting the finnishing touches to my scen I like your dracula one. very querky. But send it to Grothgar_1999@yahoo.com thanx
          Maps, Maps, MORE MAPS!!!!

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"

Comment

Sounds interesting. Please send a copy to me at: nick_dowling@hotmail.com
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Acknowledged

Ok, Case and Grothgar, a copy will be on its way in a half an hour or so. JMarks and Spanky, I need an email address as I can't seem to attach anything to emails that originate from this board.

Exile
              Lost in America.

Comment

Sure thing, Exile. You can send it to anklin@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Should have thought myself

Duh, JMark_s@yahoo.com

Looking forward to it.
                  Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
                  http://john.jfreaks.com
                  -The Artist Within-

Comment

One thing exile. Your long range fighter unit actually has less range than the normal fighter. hmm odd hey lol

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"

Comment

Hmmmm?

Really? Did you notice that the long range fighter has a "range" of 2, like bombers? Whereas the monoplane fighter has a "range" of only 1. The monoplane fighter has more movement points in a single turn, but the LR fighter can move out there, shoot at enemy planes, and then return to base on the following turn.

I think that this is what you're referring to. I'll look into it anyway.

Grothgar, any comments on technology acquistion? Right now this is the area I'm focusing my revisions on. So far, the tech paradigm has gone from 2-1 to 4-1 now at 6-1. It may require a higher setting yet to achieve the desired results.

Would you like me to send you a copy of the latest version? A lot of the minor, stupid mistakes have been dealt with. Testing might be more enjoyable with a tech situation that is closer to my intentions of how the game should go. Frankly, I think 8-1 is just about inevitable. We'll see.

Thanks,
                      Exile
                      Lost in America.

Comment

Oops dont i feel sheepish Actually i didnt notice that. oops lol. Tech acquistion is a bit fast i think especially if you play as england. I was getting a tech a turn after a while. So lancaster bombers in 1912 you might have to put it up but its still an enjoyable game also i love the map!!!
                        Sorry about the LRFighter lol

Comment

Not a problem.

Don't sweat it, Grothgar. I sent it out in hopes that the testers would point out every flaw. Please keep looking for them. The tech acquistion is being made more difficult with every hour that goes by. The tech tree has been tweaked even more since the last message. 6 to 1 tech paradigm has been working well so far. I may stop it right there. But more testing is necessary.

I'm glad you like the map. It's just about the largest map of Europe that I could find. It came from the old "Long 19th Century," which is a marathon Napoleonic Wars scenario. But inside the scenario folder, the map is in a separate file, convenient for use. I did, however, modify it to suit my tastes. A lot of terrain and terrain specials were changed, and the top of the map in the Russian east was all altered to a custom-made terrain, taiga; boreal forests. I'm also thinking about customizing the desert terrain to make much more worthless; no shields or trade. Did anyone notice the Ploesti oilfields in central Rumania?

Thanks,
                          Exile
                          Lost in America.

Comment

Yes i did notice the oilfields i was wondering how you did that but it was a jungle graphic wasnt it. And also the desert terrain doesnt have any trade or shields to my knowledge. But again i could be wrong lol. One thing about this scen is the constant state of war between almost every nation apart from the one that the player is. This is the problem that Andrew Livings identified in his Crisi Scen that the AI doesnt like it if your sharing a landmass with you and they get aggressive. And seeing as there is only 3 land masses on this game the AI gets mighty pissed off But apart from that i love this. And i might be using the map for something after i finnish my other scen

Comment

Exile, what version of Civ 2 is this for? When I tried to load the original .scn file I was told that it was for a latter version then my version of civ2 (FW)

I suspect that I'm going to have to find a copy of MGE sometime soon...
                              'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                              - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Working...
                              X