No announcement yet.

What to do next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds like a really boring scenario, unless there were different factions of Martians competing to see who could enslave the most of Britain or something like that. But a drastically imbalanced two-player scenario? Yecch.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by academia
      I think we still need a good civ2 "alien invasion" scenario. ID4, War of the Worlds style. something like that
      Wasn't Curt up on something like this?
      "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
      Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
        That sounds like a really boring scenario, unless there were different factions of Martians competing to see who could enslave the most of Britain or something like that. But a drastically imbalanced two-player scenario? Yecch.
        The humans were divided into British and European, versus the Martians, and the Martians were richer and had better units.
        Vote Democrat
        Support Democracy

Comment

So, what, it was a challenge to see who'd get butchered last?
          1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
            So, what, it was a challenge to see who'd get butchered last?
            No, there was no challenge for the Martians. For the humans it was to see how quickly the AI could kill you.
            Vote Democrat
            Support Democracy

Comment

What about the Crusades!
              El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

From the wargame viewpoint a very interesting and not yet covered theme is that of the persian empire wars with India and the Byzantine empire. Many different civs
                Once the king of India sent some gift to the emperor of the Byzantine Empire, for defeating Persia, thus putting an end to the seemingly endless wars. Probably this should be 6th century AD or something like that.

As for Rome: the roman civil wars havent been really covered i think, i only remember one scenario where there were two roman factions. What about the battle at Actio? (Actium in latin? some naval battle in Greece, possibly between Augustus and Antony i think)

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
                  What about the Crusades!
                  That clinking sound you hear is BeBro paying a hit man to shoot you...
                  1011 1100

Comment

varwnos: I think Hersson's on-work "HERACLIUS" could cover those events (war Byz/Pers) and that age (VI sec AD).
                    The question is : WHEN will it cover ???

Crusades???
                    Mhh, maybe it needs to put an eye on thread "The Crusades", dead long time ago... and just reborn...

Stefan: I keep on propse Fall of Roman Empire or Pre-Colombian empire-building...
                    "Dilexi iustitiam, odivi iniquitatem, propterea morior in exilio" [PAPA GREGORIUS VII +1085] - ("He amado la justicia, he odiado la iniquidad, por eso muero en exilio") - ("I loved justice, I hated unfairness, that's why I die in exile") - (J'ai aimé la justice, j'ai détesté l'iniquité, c'est pourquoi je meurs en exil") - ("Ich liebte Gerechtigkeit und hasste Ungerechtigkeit, deshalb sterbe ich im Exil")

Comment

On the notion of an Inca empire and its expansion-two of the big things the Inca did were to create a network of roads and great terraced gardens, and also they moved mass amounts of people around their empire.

On the terraces, one thing might be to create a new terrain type, which is terrace mountains, and have engineer units that can create terrace sto have mountain cities. Also, make movement very difficult without roads, and thus roads become crucial for empire building.

As for mass population movements- don't know yet how to do this in any meaningful way-moving pop. points is easy, but making it an integral part of the scenerio, no
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Had the Incas, Aztecs etc knowledge of the wheel?
                        "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
                        Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Palaiologos
                          Had the Incas, Aztecs etc knowledge of the wheel?
                          Of the concept? Yes-they used it in toys. Did they use wheeled vehicles? no.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

stefan:

what i would REALLY like would be for you to go back to your old Persian history scenarios and fix the graphics bugs. They were most excellent scenarios, but unfortunately i cant play them without a big headache. Dont know how hard this would be to do, hopefully you wouldnt have to do all the work from scratch - id understand your not wanting to do that.

Also of course understand you'd like to do a new scenario
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Of the concept? Yes-they used it in toys. Did they use wheeled vehicles? no.
                              IIRC Aztecs had the wheel (in toys) but no draft animals, while Incas had Llamas, but no concept of wheel. wheeled vehicles required both. Civ tech tree possibilities should be obvious.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Most european main historical periods have already been covered to death i think. The small size of the map doesnt allow for really making roads very important, unless you are focusing in a small landmass, and then you have to be minimalistic. i would really want to make cities even further away from one another in my scen, but then the map would have to be basically just Greece, and that would be boring.. On the other hand making cities appear closer to one another makes the game interesting as long as you have a balance of power, since it is a matter of crushing the bulk of the enemy army, and then just marching onwards, unless you try to balance things up artificially by eventgiven units (something i tried to do to some extenxt, and counter-balance that with eventcreated rebels when the eventscreated loyal units are killed) But generally the small map size generally prevents the "huge empire confortably waiting to be conquered" effect that war-scens centered on plots like alexander vs darius were trying to achieve.Unless ofcourse you are willing to sacrifice having many nations, but 7 nations is one of the beuties of the game, having just 2 nations would mean losing gameplay in other fronts. So its all a very delicate balance. I think that Heresson's fading lights came very close to achieving this illusion of balance, but the cost was that only one nation was really playable, and the general frustration diminished the nice effect (my personal opinnion ofcourse). Really scenario making is tough, and i can see that already

But perhaps the hardest thing is trying to make up for the lost atmosphere of a non-scenario civ2 game, where you start with just one settler, and dont know how things will turn out to be!

Comment

Working...
                                X