Problem Loading FW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Loading FW

Since I installed Sid Mier's Gettysburg yesterday, whenever I try to load Civ:FW I get pop-ups saying 'cannot find commctrl.dll' and 'cannot find dciman.dll' and the game won't load!

I've since uninstalled Gettysburg and Civ, and reinstalled Civ, but it still won't work! For some reason MGE is still fine, but FW is definetly out of action, and this is bad news as I've got a scenario to fix.

Does anybody know how I can fix this?
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Those are both in my C:\Windows\System. Duplicates are in C:\Windows\SysBckup. If you still have copies in the backup, copying them to your system directory could solve the problem.

Otherwise, wait for a more informed reply or search google.
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Search goolge for them and download them!
      Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

What version is your OS?
        El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
          Those are both in my C:\Windows\System. Duplicates are in C:\Windows\SysBckup. If you still have copies in the backup, copying them to your system directory could solve the problem.
          I don't seem to have that second directory - I use Windows XP.

I'll try google for tips.

Of course, the question is why did 'Sid Mier's Gettysburg' cripple 'Sid Mier's Civilisation 2'? Was this a ploy by sid to get his fans to move on?
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Comment

XP doesn't use these dlls. Instead I think it uses DCIMAN32.DLL (DCI = display control interface) and COMCTL32.DLL. Problem is, I don't know how to get FW to use these instead. Sounds like a registry entry. I would have thought that the reinstallation of FW would have done the trick. FW did run before Gettysburg's installation, right? XP is not kind to old games.

Would it be possible for someone to convert the scn to MGE for you?
            El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

XP doesn't use these dlls. Instead I think it uses DCIMAN32.DLL (DCI = display control interface) and COMCTL32.DLL.
              DLL usage isn't really OS related, but simply depends on which DLL's the program designer linked to. Since Civ2 is from the 16-bit age, it still uses those old ones.

Let me see... You can download the DLL's here:

Simply putting them in your Windows system directory (or even the civ2 directory?) should be enough.
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Thanks for those links Merc

FW did run before Gettysburg's installation, right? XP is not kind to old games.
                Yeah, it worked perfectly. I never had a problem running it in XP before (indeed, running it in Win2000 on my old computer was more troublesome!).

Comment

I wonder how FW knew to use some other DLL before Gettysburg was installed? It's probably academic, since the dl'ed 16bit DLL's will likely fix it.
                  El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Putting the files into the Civ2 Directory has done the trick Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Working...
                    X