Apolyton Hall of Fame: December 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton Hall of Fame: December 2003

If anyone wants to vote in the hall, please do it in the following thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=104051

Thank you and good luck!

---
    <b>What is it?</b>
    The Apolyton Hall of Fame (HoF) is a list of people who contributed a lot to the community here on Apolyton. For example: Xin Yu was inducted in the HoF for his incredible strategy and MP contributions to the Civ2 section, yin26 for his fantastic work on 'The List' with suggestions for Civ3. Every member of the Hall of Fame has made great contributions to Apolyton and the Civilization community - these people and their accomplishments must be remembered by us all!

If you don't recognize many names you probably haven't been here very long and/or hardly ever post outside this forum - in that case this HoF might be a good opportunity to learn something about them. That is why this Hall of Fame was created: to remember and learn.

Periodically, we hold a vote for the Apolytoners who we think contribute the most to Apolyton, the ones who make Apolyton what it is. The winners shall be inducted in the Hall of Fame and their names will live forever in the annals of APOLYTON!

<b>History</b>
    The idea for the Hall of Fame was born in late 2000 as an outgrowth of the old Apolyton Army and Apolytoner of the Season Contests, seeking to honor the people of Apolyton in a more meaningful and structured way.

The first edition was held in the Off Topic in December 2000 over a period of 3 days and is currently archived. The first election saw Markos and Dan, the owners and administrators of this site, and the first 10 posters inducted.

Since then, the HoF vote has been held roughly 4 times a year with 11-14 total members being elected every year. Up until August 2002, the vote was held only in the Off Topic forum - from that time on it has been posted in other sections (first in Civ3, later also in SMAC, CtP1-MP, CtP2, etc).

<b>We'll be electing 6 people this time... voting will end on the 28th!</b>
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

IMO, all us SLeaguers should try and get Harlan Thompson into the HoF. His pioneering scenarios showed what the civ engine was capable of.
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I second that. One of my civ heroes

There are a couple of other notable absentees: Stefan Hartel, Techumseh and Allard Hofelt spring to mind...
      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Case: he and Mercator should definately be voted in.
        "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

I second those proposals! Keep up that good work!

Comment

Originally posted by Panda
            Case: he and Mercator should definately be voted in.
            I can't believe that I didn't vote for Merc. While Captain Nemo and H Tower definetly deserve inclusion, Mercator deserves it more
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Comment

Good suggestions all! Unfortunately we can only nominate 3, so I went for:

Captain Nemo
              Mercator
              Techumseh
              STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

I second Our Man's choices:

Captain Nemo
                Mercator
                Techumseh
                H Thompson
                Stef Hartel

In recent times:

Fairline
                Jim Panse
                Case
                Catfish
                Yaroslav

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
                  I second Our Man's choices:

Captain Nemo
                  Mercator
                  Techumseh
                  H Thompson
                  Stef Hartel

In recent times:

Fairline
                  Jim Panse
                  Case
                  Catfish
                  Yaroslav

I feel honoured, but I think you are a better candidate for that honour than me
                  Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

I did mean to raise this before, but not wishing to demean anyone in any way I held back.

I think that most of us will readily agree that while we have seen some staggering single contributors to the world of civ2, this is the Apolyton Hall of Fame which has transcended just civ.

Thus, when CtP came out Harlan was one of the first people to investigate its suitability for modding, and then became involved in Civ3 when that was released. Similarly Mercator has been involved since the year dot in map-making, programming(!), general helpfulness, and also drops in on the OT.

Another outstanding contributor has been Cam Hills, notable for scenario work, incredible activism with the League, and I should highlight that he was one of only a couple of people here who replied to posts in the Civ2 - Help section before the forum reorganisation.

These are all people whose names are known internationally for their works, and yet we tend to be too focused on the civ2 side and only acknowledge great civ2 contributions. Captain Nemo, Kevin, Stefan, myself (perhaps), Nick, Curt, Gareth, Catfish(!), etc certainly deserve recognition for contributions in civ2 but I would not place them in the 'Poly HOF. They are recognised everyday when we come here to see and discuss their work, and that should be satisfaction enough.

Having said that the OT boys only care about their flavour of the month, so go ahead and disregard my advise if you will: but as Case pointed out, if we just concentrate of the true heroes here there is a better chance they will receive the recognition they richly deserve.
                    "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

For what it's worth . . . .

AFAIAC, the "awards" that matter to us, the denizens of the Scenario League, are the SILVER FLEECE AWARDS. I come to ACS only for the League.

The OT and the creatures who frequent that swamp just don't matter to me.

(But Alexander's Horse IS pretty funny most of the time )
                      Lost in America.
                      "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                      "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                      "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Having said that the OT boys only care about their flavour of the month
                        ...and when I checked the other day, all the leading contenders where OT-regulars

Maybe 'poly needs something like a council of elders where the learned can reward the truely deserving

Comment

Seeing the community for CIV2 survive in my two favourite civ-sites is reward enough for me.

(although a silver fleece would be nice too - joke)
                          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                          http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, someone did nominate you for the silver fleece, so someone hopes you'll get one soon
                            Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

The Hall of Fame has mostly been an OT business until these "elections", partly because of that it's not something to be taken too seriously... It's still nice if it actually lives up to its name though.

And as Panda pointed out, it's sometimes difficult to make a distinction between the Civ2 and Apolyton legends.

myself (perhaps)

Absolutely! But I'm still getting used to your "new" handle.

Luckily Ming is still an active Civ2 player, so we have a mod on our side.

Thanks for the votes too.
                              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
                              X