A Ship that Refuels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Ship that Refuels?

A question to the SL gurus. Can a ship be created that needs to stop in at a port like a plane needs to land? It would be fantastic I think, and very realistic. Much of the 19th and early 20th centuries was about acquiring refueling stops in obscure places around the world.

Possible?
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

I've thought about this myself, and I don't think that it's possible in a normal game. However, in a naval oriented game it can be done - make the ships air units, and line the coastlines with invincible units. This way the ships both stay at sea and have to put into port regularly.
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I thought about that too, Case. The problem I had was that if a "ship" ran out of fuel, it would "sink." Not very realistic. A ship out of fuel would just tend to drift, not dive for the bottom.

I thought about somehow using the helicopter slot/properties somehow, but gave up. Especially if you actually want air units in the game.
      Lost in America.
      "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
      "or a very good liar." --Stefu
      "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

I once monkeyed around with a helicopter-as-ship theme, too. In that case, it wasn't so much having air units that was a problem, but rather working out tricks to have coexisting land campaigns. That led to a lot of 'coastal' units - most neutral, some enemy, and only a few friendly. Also toyed with 'Colliers', naval settlers, that could refuel naval units when they formed a 'refueling rendezvous' (it created a city graphic challenge). Anyway, it became a mess that quickly defeated me. The idea can work in a strictly limited setting, but it's tough to pull off when you want a lot of land stuff and submarine-air-units, too.

If you can work something out, let us know. It'll earn you everlasting fame and gratitude!
        El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

You could have a bit of fun by reversing land and ocean. You could use roads to represent sea lanes, and different terrain types to represent different sea states/ocean depths/prevailing winds. But it doesn't solve the whole ships running out of fuel problem.

Originally posted by Exile
          I thought about that too, Case. The problem I had was that if a "ship" ran out of fuel, it would "sink." Not very realistic. A ship out of fuel would just tend to drift, not dive for the bottom.
          Yeah, but it's a lot more realistic then ships that can stay at sea indefinetly
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

T be a little more clear than te people above, you can add a number in the range section of the units' attributes of Rules.txt to limit their range. They will work the same way air units do (with them 'crashing' (dissappearing) if they don't reach a friendly port by the end of their range.) and you will have to modify the appropiate message in game.txt..

Same thing can be used for land units, btw.
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Well hell thats easy. Why didn't anyone think of that earlier?

You can edit air units to have them carry cargo too.

Hell this is pretty damn nice. It'll no doubt have some amazing uses for scenarios. I intend to introduce the diplogame world to the idea.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

But they feel that it's not real to have the ships just 'sink'....

and cargo for planes = not good. It doesn't work, as the units don't stay on the plane when it leaves the city.

There are several other combinations that won't work, or that only work partially. (for example, land carrier units can be used by air units to stop and refuel, but the air units don't move with the carrier when it does.)
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Hmm, I'm not getting it to work anyways.

I put range on a frigate, and it lists the max number of moves left, just like a bomber, and they go down as I move the ship, but when I move it next turn they reset back to the max.

Also, when I tried adding a cargo number to a helicopter it wasn't able to move over land, just water. Basically it was turned into a boat.

Damn, I knew it was too easy. But there has to be a way!

Comment

Could you give them incredible range coupled with the trireme flag and a loss chance denominator of one (plus no seafaring, Lighthouse or navigation)? You'd have very rapid sea transport that has to be close enough to land to refuel at the end of each turn or it goes derelict. It's limited, but if you're simulating an age where naval travel had an enormous speed advantage over land the movement rate would simulate different fuel capacities in equally fast ships...sorta. Little patrol boats can only travel across small seas, but battleships have enough steam to cross the Pacific. This has the same defects as other methods mentioned but I thought I'd offer my alternative.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                      Also, when I tried adding a cargo number to a helicopter it wasn't able to move over land, just water. Basically it was turned into a boat.
                      Does it still lose HP over time?

If so that'd be great for some of us...
                      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                        I just tried this in ToT, but I didn't get the same result. It didn't do anything special at all.

The carrier flag and submarine flag didn't make any difference either, except that the submarine flag prevents the heli from attacking land units (but that's nothing new).

Are you sure you changed the right number?
                        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

You could utilize the trireme flag by forcing ships to trevel off the shoreline by creating impassable units at the coast.
                          Follow the masses!
                          30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

"Does it still lose HP over time? "

Nope. It was no different from a boat.

And nothing with the trireme tag is gonna help, we certainly don't want to use any impassable units. I was just hoping there'd be some way to mix the plane attributes with the ship ones so we could have a bomber type craft that traveled only in the water. I don't want to affect the rest of the game.

Though I guess we could just make them planes and tell players not to move them over land. Rely on the honor system.. but thats pretty lame..

Comment

Well as far as diplo games are concearned. and civ2 as a whole, there's alot of symbolizism and rationalizing involved with all military units.

I mean, there's not any ship that can repair its self out in the middle of the ocean simply by sitting still. No ship has enough food or supplies, or ammo to do the things we sometimes do with ships in civ2. Its just one of the failing that civ3 tried to correct and did only in a mediocre fassion.

Basicly, we've got to assume that when we build a ship (or actually any military unit) the sheild cost, and the support of that vessal or the government backing it up has the logistics in place to fuel and resupply that vessal. Its unrealistic, and not the best possible setup, but do we really need to make naval combat any harder? Ships in civ2 are already hugely slow. The best warships cost tons in either gold or production, and constantly cause unhappiness that's easier to avoid with land units. In fact in our diplo games, we go out of our ways to make naval vessals alot faster than they usualy are just to make them feasable and more important. And with what, 7 years of poking holes in the rules.tct there's still been no easy way to incorperate limited range ships into the game with out messing up alot of other stuff.

So I guess we just gotta deal. :/

Comment

Working...
                              X