Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody (Americans) find this offensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody (Americans) find this offensive?

@IF
    TURN
    turn=1
    @THEN
    TEXT
    ^
    ^^ THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD
    ^
    ^^ At American troops pulled out of Vietnam in 1973, their strategists began to
    ^ ponder the reason for their defeat. After detailed scrutiny of the rise and fall
    ^^ of former empires and the Rape of Nations period during European colonization,
    ^^ they correctly deduced that any empire built on military might inherently sows the
    ^^ seeds of its own destruction during its birth. Thus they have come to the inescapable
    ^^ conclusion that they had to displace the ethnic and cultural distinctiveness of their
    ^^ enemies in order to taste everlasting victory. This was euphemistically named the
    ^ Free Trade Doctrine.
    ^
    ^^ Thus began the U.S. Global campaign on Lend (you US$), See (our hit movies) and
    ^^ Air (our Sit-coms).....
    ^
    ENDTEXT
    @ENDIF

@IF
    TURN
    turn=1
    @THEN
    TEXT
    ^
    ^^ THE AMERICAN CENTURY
    ^
    ^^ The shipyards of Hollywood run by legendary commanders such as Spielberg,
    ^^ Coppola and Scorsese continues to christen massive battleships with bizzare
    ^^ names: Godfather, Rocky, Star Wars. Auxillary shipyards code named ABC, NBC and
    ^^ CBS churn out Aircraft Carriers such as the $6 Million Man, Laverne+Shirley and
    ^^ M*A*S*H. The Americans rule the air and sea with charismatic aces like Roger Moore,
    ^^ John Travolta, Richard Geerand Olivia Newton John.
    ^
    ^^ On the ground new shock divisions such as Pepsi, Nike and McDonalds mobilize for
    ^^ a second wave of landings even as crack U.S. units such as Boeing, IBM, Marlboro
    ^^ and Coca-Cola entrench themselves in their beachheads. Meanwhile the heartland of
    ^^ U.S. doctrine known as the Ivy League goes into overdrive, with prophets such as
    ^^ Modigliani, Friedman, Markowitz and Sharpe spreading free-market ideology to
    ^^ every corner of the globe.
    ^
    ENDTEXT
    @ENDIF

@IF
    TURN
    turn=25
    @THEN
    TEXT
    ^
    ^^ THE PASSING OF THE TORCH
    ^
    ^^ 1976 marks the climax of Europe's final counter-offensive, the supersonic air
    ^^ liner Concorde jointly developed by France and England. Having gone through
    ^^ test-flights for five years with much fanfare, the first scheduled flight takes
    ^^ off on January 21st, taking off in London and landing in Bahrain. Trans-atlantic
    ^^ flights begin three months later.
    ^
    ^^ While it appears to be a resounding victory initially as was the Ardennes
    ^^ Offensive, it ultimately proves to be a massive strategic failure. Wide-bodied
    ^^ jets like the B747 make the Concorde uneconomical and it is never used by any
    ^^ airlines except British Airways, Air France and Singapore Airlines. Europe retreats
    ^^ inward and an entire generation of global expansion is lost to the Americans.
    ^
    ENDTEXT
    PLAYWAVEFILE
    THEME.WAV
    @ENDIF
    This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

!
    "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
    Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

For the new buisness empire scen I presume.

Comment

New World Order, baby!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
        http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sums up the current global US cultural and economic dominance quite nicely.

Just one thing though: Roger Moore is a Brit and Olivia Newton John is a Brit brought up in Australia. While we're at it, was Olivia Newton John the best you could come up with? How about Julia Roberts?
          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Hmmmmmm.

I'm certainly no patriot, and am practically apolitical, but . . . . .

The USA is waging a cultural war on the rest of the globe, huh?

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy any of this crap. Lame sitcoms, sugary drinks, bombastic flicks, so-called celebrities . . . .

If it didn't SELL, it wouldn't work.

Hey, I'm not buying any of that crap, and I LIVE HERE. Not even the states has a monopoly on STUPIDITY. It seems, frankly, to be a worldwide phenomenon.

America-bashing is soooooooooo popular these days.

But no, I'm not offended. I find simplistic, mono-causal thinking by laymen amusing.
            Lost in America.
            "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
            "or a very good liar." --Stefu
            "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Lend, See and Air?!
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
                Lend, See and Air?!
                Lend, See and Err!
                Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Re: Hmmmmmm.

Originally posted by Exile
                  I'm certainly no patriot, and am practically apolitical, but . . . . .

The USA is waging a cultural war on the rest of the globe, huh?

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy any of this crap. Lame sitcoms, sugary drinks, bombastic flicks, so-called celebrities . . . .

If it didn't SELL, it wouldn't work.

Hey, I'm not buying any of that crap, and I LIVE HERE. Not even the states has a monopoly on STUPIDITY. It seems, frankly, to be a worldwide phenomenon.

America-bashing is soooooooooo popular these days.

But no, I'm not offended. I find simplistic, mono-causal thinking by laymen amusing.
                  But not by (former) academics?
                  Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Uhhhh, wow. Ok. It won't be offensive if it's done in good fun. If the scenario is made out to be some sort of cultural war then it might become offensive. Now if it was played out as purely capitalistic and on business terms I would find no problem with it. It's just that the whole "America is out to ruin your heritage" thing is getting really old and is really unfair.

Now I don't get upset when some Europeans ask me if I work on a farm, rope cattle, and live in Texas, but I do note that some people don't take the time to fully take in what a country is about. So if you do go through with it Koby, just make it tasteful and very lighthearted.

Some points in history when American "cultural power" was on the ropes:

1. The Early 1990's - Japan's predominance economically led to a lot of fears that the Japanese were going to totally take over the tech industry. In fact, if anyone remembers the 386 - 486 chip war in the early 1990's it took some very tough bargaining and some heavy duty politics to stop NEC from dumping their overstock of 486 chips on the U.S. market. Which, by the way, would have ruined the fledgling Intel company who was pouring their profits from their 386's into research for the Pentium I. If NEC had succeeded the American tech industry might have been severely set back for decades.

2. The British Invasion - Beetles anyone? These guys pretty much took over the music industry during the 60's. Did it make everyone start listening to Brit pop rock? No, but the white album is still influencing the industry....

Comment

I would have to agree with Exile on this one.

While, I'm not offended by these remarks, I am beaten down by the America bashing that is so prevalent these days. I am guessing that this is suppossed to be taken all in good fun??
                      "The more things change the more they stay the same."

Comment

Very funny.

FYI, Amando Modigliani was French.
                        Vote Democrat
                        Support Democracy

Comment

Who's the more foolish - the fool or those who foll, er, buy what the fool produces?

Comment

I dont find it very offensive.

Comment

It's not very offensive, I took it in good humor but 1st there are the technical inconsistencies as were already pointed out and 2nd I agree with Exile... the companies just happen to be based in the US. The US isn't necessarily forcing a trade war.

that whole idea seems to have originated from WWII and the rebuilding of Europe and Japan. but without those funds and those companies- europe would not have been rebuilt as quickly!
                              -->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                              X