manual events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manual events

what do I need to write my events and then have them work in game without giving me the "there is a problem with the events.txt, read the manual to learn how to debug them"?

The only way to debug manual-created events is to isolate the failure.

Take the first five events (for example) and create a new events.txt with only those events. Load the scenario. If you find problems, then review those events (once you have located an erroneous event, you can post it in this forum and we'll help you to correct it) until you find the mistake. If you don't find problems, add the next five events.

There are many forms of doing it, but the idea is simple: first isolate the problem, then solve it.

Somebody could do an auto debugger, it shouldn't be SO difficult
    "Son españoles... los que no pueden ser otra cosa" (Cánovas del Castillo)
    "España es un problema, Europa su solución" (Ortega y Gasset)
    The Spanish Civilization Site
    "Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Comment

well, the only reason i'm writing my events is because i want to use the barb civ...is there a way to write all my events except the barb events in the game then write the barb events?

Comment

The following should do the trick:

@BEGINEVENTS
        @DEBUG
        @IF
        NOSCHISM

Include "@DEBUG" before your first event. It won't automatically be debugged, but the game will point out the error for you and will explain it for you to fix it. Quite simple, actually.
        Follow the masses!
        30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Debugging doesnt work with MGE

Comment

Oh.
            Follow the masses!
            30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

God damn.

Comment

The best method is to back up your events, make a fresh and empty events file (with only begin and end tabs)
                then add your events in twos or threes, and run the scen.

You will soon find the culprit.

It's normally a missing command like 'ENDTEXT' or something.
                http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

well, the only reason i'm writing my events is because i want to use the barb civ...is there a way to write all my events except the barb events in the game then write the barb events?
                  Yes, of course. Use the advanced editor to create the normal events (I only use the editor for the events) and then take the "events.txt" that will be generated and add barb events manually. But it's a pity to lose a full "events.txt" for a programming mistake, you should try to debug the file the way Curtsibling (and myself) suggested.

Comment

ugh.

Comment

'ugh'

Not a big fan of events editing, then , Ottok?
                      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
                        'ugh'

Not a big fan of events editing, then , Ottok?

I wager!

But dudes there is no reason to create barb events manually.Simply create events normally and then manually change the civ to "barbarians".

Sometimes just having "Trigger attacker" as civ works.
                        "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
                        Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

What Palaiologos said. Simply make them with the civ2 editors but use some other civ first, and then rename them to barbarians later...

Then again... Why the hell are you using the civ2 editors in the first place!!?!? Read the manual and the macro.txt, have a look at some of the events in other scenarios and make your own. It's not like it's actually difficult.
                          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Then again... Why the hell are you using the civ2 editors in the first place!!?!? Read the manual and the macro.txt, have a look at some of the events in other scenarios and make your own. It's not like it's actually difficult.
                            I agree that Civ2 editor is quite unuseful, but doing the events in the editor is quite easier than just writing it, and (most important) the editor doesn't make programming mistakes. Even the best programmers will have any error the first time they compile a program, the same with events language.

Comment

Well, while we're talking about "somebody should," how about a more versatile, fan-made events editor?
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X