expand or develop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark

It turns out there IS an event that breaks vassalization. Its "Portugal Revolts!" First comes, in 1640, "Catalonia Revolts!" (History on rails, or is it triggered by the war and war exhaustion I had - though i was fighting different folks than in OTL) I took the crush em option (didnt want a jump in aristo) and then got Portugal Revolts and Italy Revolts. Not sure if my choice in the first event was a trigger, or if there was a random element.
    Yes, I'd forgotten about those events. The Iberian revolt fires if you are at war at any point between January 1630 and January 1649. In my last Spain game I was careful to avoid war during this period so didn't get the event and forgot about it.

Once the Iberian revolt event fires, the Portugal and Italy revolt events fire whatever choice choice you make for the Iberian revolt event. The only way to avoid the whole mess is not to be at war during the critical period.

You can avoid the break of vassalisation if you choose the appease option for the Portugal revolt.

Annexing Portugal is only worthwhile after the Edict of Tolerance ends the ToT. It will raise your BB, as you have discovered, and make you enemies more prone to declare war on you. If you are strong enough, they are usually not that stupid, even on the furious aggression setting. You only get BB wars playing on VH difficulty.

Well, you'll know next time.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV

Yes, I'd forgotten about those events. The Iberian revolt fires if you are at war at any point between January 1630 and January 1649.
      ah, so it was just luck that it hit in 1640, the year of the OTL Catalan and Portugese revolts. Or rather that I had just gone to war for the first time since 1630. Actually that doesnt make sense, historically. OTL, Spain was at war the ENTIRE time from 1630 to 1649. So if historical Spain was "playing EU2" the Catalan events would ALWAYS fire in 1630, 10 years earlier than in OTL.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
      X