No announcement yet.

Europa Universalis III in Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bingo, I applaud you. It's exactly like in EU2, which we already discussed (if you can't find it, I'll again help out ). In short Civ3 uses pre-rendered gfx made in 3d but then displayed via a 2d engine.

But as you surely remember I also already explained that using pre-rendered anims in a 2d engine has certain disadvantages (for example needs more work) compared to direct use of 3d objects in a 3d engine
    Blah

Comment

• dp
      Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro
        But as you surely remember I also already explained that using pre-rendered anims in a 2d engine has certain disadvantages (for example needs more work) compared to direct use of 3d objects in a 3d engine

This isn't neccisarily true. Anything that a 3D engine does can be done by a moding utility or third party graphics program. But this whole line of argument is, at best, a mere quibble anyways.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd

This isn't neccisarily true. Anything that a 3D engine does can be done by a moding utility or third party graphics program. But this whole line of argument is, at best, a mere quibble anyways.
          If you say "anything that a 3D engine does can be done by a moding utility or third party graphics program. " -- that makes only sense if you're speaking about a game that has already a 3d engine. These tools cannot give a 2d game the same advantages that a 3d engine has for dealing with it's 3d gfx, that is in the very nature of the problem. It's like the difference between a normal painting and a statue.

If you paint a pic of a house, then turn it around, you see the backside of the pic, but not of the house - that backside you have to paint separately (2d). If you want to see the backside of the statue you just can turn it around (3d).
          Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro

If you say "anything that a 3D engine does can be done by a moding utility or third party graphics program. " -- that makes only sense if you're speaking about a game that has already a 3d engine. These tools cannot give a 2d game the same advantages that a 3d engine has for dealing with it's 3d gfx, that is in the very nature of the problem. It's like the difference between a normal painting and a statue. If you paint a pic of a house, then turn it around, you see the backside of the pic, but not of the house - that backside you have to paint separately (2d). If you want to see the backside of the statue you just can turn it around (3d).

It's more like the difference between a photograph of a painting and a statue. No matter how the subject is built, you can only see one side of it at a time. You would need to do many paintings if you want the photographs to represent the subject of the painting in the round, where as with the sculpture you would have to photograph it from many different angles. A third party program can do that for you and give you the photographs to work with.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• EU3 if it comes true,
              but starting in 1453 and having no byzantines unless Morea, Trebizond and some Greeks of Crimea are included
              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
              Middle East!

Comment

• I also heard that it will end around the time of the American and French revolution. So we'll be losing at least 50 years of gameplay.

But I really liked the new features. The Curia, the HRE elections, the battle results pop-up, the National Ideas, Advisors, etc.

The hardware requirements seem to be pretty high though.
                "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

• High hardware reqs? It demands a 3D card with PixelShader 2.0, that's something every card newer than four years or so have. It demands a processor in the 1 GHz range, witch is less than what my 4.5 year old machine has(2 GHz). We all know Paradox games tend to require much RAM, so I am surprised it doesn't require more than it does. It demands 256 or 512 MB doesn't it? I have 256 MB on my soon to be 6 year old computer and 512 MB on my 4.5 year old.

I simply fail to see how these reqs can be high?
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• In the Paradox forums there is some semi-official post claiming a 1.9GHZ processor is required.
                    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

• how can I check what processor and what card xdo I have?
                      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                      Middle East!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eli
                        In the Paradox forums there is some semi-official post claiming a 1.9GHZ processor is required.
                        Which still is below what my 4.5 year old computer has.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

• Originally posted by Heresson
                          how can I check what processor and what card xdo I have?
                          Rightclick on "my computer" and choose "properties". Then you get how much RAM and processor speed you have(if it's a laptop, the processor speed showed varies depending on what power properties you have, for the right result apply "always on"). If you go to the "hardware" tab and choose the button at the top. There you can find all your hardware specs, also what card you have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai

Which still is below what my 4.5 year old computer has.
                            Then you probably spent a ****load of money on that computer.

I've got a 5 years old Athlon 1.33GHz and a 2.5 years old laptop with 1.5GHz. Gonna have problems.

Comment

• Actually, the computer was reasonably cheap. I think it costed 2.800 USD. A bare minimum to get a somewhat decent computer was at the time 1.700 USD over here. It was in the higher price range, but nothing compared to what a ****load computer costs.

And just so you know it, Paradox games can be played at lower processor speeds, as long as you have enough RAM.

Comment

• BTW Eli, for your comment on the shorter time frame, that's really a good thing, since EU2 sucked at the later time frame because an engine can't handle both the Napoleonic era and the renaisance well. The way wars were fought were too different. Still, you can play as the US, so you shouldn't worry I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X