Final Fantasy Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Felch X
    Graphics were a big factor back then. They've always been a factor. People just like to think that they weren't and that games back then were in some sort of golden age where only gameplay was important.
    I dont recall playing Street fighter II and arguing that graphics were better/worse than samurai spirits. In fact, I dont remember making a judgement on graphics at all during those times.

Now all you hear about is graphihcs FIRST. Although gameplay is still important.

Its not People just like to think. It WAS that way.
    :-p

Comment

Originally posted by CygnusZ

FFVIII has fully earned its reputation for total suckage.
      FFVIII was horrible, but I think its one of the most overlooked FF series. It was bad but it doesnt deserve the amount of criticism IMO. I think its because it was one of the most anticipated... largely because of FFVII's huge popularity. After all it is the sequel to the FF Series that made FF almost a household name...

And on the other hand, I think VII is the opposite. While it was a okay - great game, People over do it when it comes to praising it.

IX seems to vary.. depending on how well you took all the changes from VIII. CHances are, if you liked VIII, you seem to hate IX. And if you didnt like VIII, you're more open to IX. (or so I think according my experience w/ people around me)

1,4,5,6 also get undeserved reputation because they are "classics" but they are great game anyway. Nonetheless, they do get idolized for no apparent reason.

X I havent played yet, but it seems that people are flocking toward "it is really good" side. I'll have to see about that.
      Last edited by Zero; April 16, 2003, 00:55.

Comment

heyyyyyyyyyyyyy,

I liked VIII! I thought it was refreshing. IX was pretty brutal but......oh well, everyone has their own tastes.

That last level was a *****.

That was back when FF games were actually difficult. (or tedious, depending on your POV, levelling up for hours and hours)

And the generic characters. but still...special place in my heart
        I remember going through the last level and encountering all the previous bosses and saying 'Come ON, I just beat you!'

I got up to Chaos and he killed me so fast, I grabbed my controller and smacked it on the ground. Didn't break the controller, but I never played the original ever again.
        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
        Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
        *****Citizen of the Hive****
        "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

That time travel thing made no sense at the end of FF I. I still don't fully understand it.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I've only played 7, 9, and 10, of which 7 is my favorite by far.
            Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

The time travel thing at the end of FF1? I think I understand it.

The reason why the world is so desolate doesn't have to do with the fire leaving the orbs. It is because Chaos has corrupted the present world from the past temple of fiends. The Black Orb is a gate for the monsters to rush in from the past to the present. Lighting the four orbs will allow the Light Warriors to use the Black Orb to travel in the past and defeat Chaos. It doesn't matter what the light warriors do in the present, if they are unable to defeat Chaos in the past.

Chaos was using Garland (whom, if you remember was originally a good knight) to gain control of the Temple of Fiends in the present. It's a pretty clever strategy, because once Garland opened the Black Orb the chaos wouldn't be able to be resolved from the present anymore.

Comment

That's a pretty cool plot line then for all intents and purposes. I remember it was an awesome game, I just wished there were more than one save slots on the cartiridge.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

That's a pretty cool plot line then for all intents and purposes. I remember it was an awesome game, I just wished there were more than one save slots on the cartiridge.
                  That was a huge problem with that game. when it takes you so long to play the game, and its so easily erased by a "friend" or sibling..

my favorite part was early near the second city where you get the ship, where you could fight frost giants and frost wolves and tyrannos (??) thoguht that was a nice little bug, far easier to build money than fighting ogres and slimes

Comment

You should have done what I did and bought a second cartridge. I did this for chrono trigger and FF3 as well. (3 isnt enough either)

Comment

FF I + II remakes on PSX just came out, and while they're interesting, the originals seem a bit more...original to me. Must be the ugly graphics.

IV was a great game, but VI and VII just about outdid it in every way possible...still, 'tis my favorite one (probably for nostalgia).
                      DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

Part of why FF2 seems different is supposedly Square rebalanced FF2 before releasing it.

Say, on the FF6 Anthology release, where in the world are all these supposed special "new" cinema scenes!? I've played into the World of Ruin thus far, and it's nothing like how Chrono Trigger got all that new stuff.
                        I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

its in intro and at end

Comment

While it's great to play FF6 on my PS2, I do feel a little jipped... guess I'll be able to see it this summer (be able to finish it then since I won't have homework to do.)
                            I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Of all the FF games I think FF6 was the best. Kefka is such a nasty brute. Locke rants at everyone who calls him a theif, and Edgar's Flirting is Hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                              X