Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Fantasy Thread

Which one is your favorite?

I am currently playing FF VI again. Me and my friends had a debate on which was the best final fantasy ever and we got into a disagreement. Although I know that six is undeservingly overrated, I think it is still the best (if 4 isnt the best). And while seven is probably by far the most popular, I think it is the worst or second to last(mainly because I couldnt bear finishing it.. so I can be wrong). Eight seems to be underrated and has some undeserved reputation for being suckier than it reallly is, but I still would rank it last or second last.

I say that six is the best because even though the game is totally broke with way too much glitches/tricks that you can exploit, it has been the only FF VI that I come back to every year or so and play it again to achieve new ways of beating it/playing it. Currently I am trying to play a game without finding items from treasure chest/boxes/pot etc.. I'm Trying to rely heavily on store bought items, ragnorak esper and steal/capture skill. (I know Im really running out of ideas... )
    :-p

My favorite is number four, that was released as number two in America. The storyline is a little shaky (Why wouldn't someone have cut Kain's throat after the second time he got mind-controlled?) but the graphics are cute ("retro") and it's fun to play.

I've never completed most of the quests, though. I managed to get the Crystal Sword the last time I played, but not the White Lance - that Plague character is vicious. And don't even ask about the Pink Tails.

My favorite place is the Town of Summoned Monsters. It's hard to get to, but it's so nice and peaceful and quiet.
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Number Seven. Easily.

(then Ten, then Four, then Six)
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

The worst, without a doubt, was FF2J. Most unbalanced piece of crap to ever disgrace the series. Try it sometime and you'll see what I mean.
        I don't know about the best in the series. Four is certainly the most charming, even if it is the least customizable.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

My favorite is 5, next is 4j

absolute worst: final fantasy mystic quest. embarrased that I bought this one .

Comment

Nope Final Fantasy VIII. I really liked it and playing IX just turned me off....except for Vivi Ortuna.

Worst Final Fantasy is the first one......freeking last level just to get to the boss was a pain in the patoot.
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
            *****Citizen of the Hive****
            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
              Worst Final Fantasy is the first one......freeking last level just to get to the boss was a pain in the patoot.
              That last level was a *****.

That was back when FF games were actually difficult. (or tedious, depending on your POV, levelling up for hours and hours)

And the generic characters. but still...special place in my heart

Comment

FF2j gets the dubious honor of being the worst final fantasy game.

FFVIII has fully earned its reputation for total suckage. The junction system is easy to exploit, and what's the deal with changing that trading card into 100 potions of invincibility?

My fav is FF5, which IMHO, implemented a really interesting gameplay device and gave the game a non-linear aspect

Though, truth be told, I think EVERY Final Fantasy game has been pretty good, with the exception of FF2j.

Comment

Which one is FF2j?
                  Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

FF2j is Final Fantasy 2 released in Japan. It's on the FF Origins PSX disc.

My favorite is FF6j. The characters were all interesting and different and Kefka was a great villain. The music is also excellent. I may be a little biased - I got the strategy guide from Nintendo Power and had read through it like two or three times before I ever bought the game.

FF7 was OK, there were some good parts and some cheesy ones.

FF8 was just depressing. Spending hours getting magic, a magic system that rewards not using magic, and a teen angst story that was horrible.

FF9 was alright. I liked the setting, but I got really annoyed with the "I got to town just in time to see someone blow it up" storyline.

FF10 is pretty good. People who like leveling up would really like it. I haven't quite beat it yet but I'm at the point where I'm just trying to get some cool stuff. Blitzball is a decent mini-game and it seems very similar to an old soccer/RPG game I remember. Problem is, it's a long minigame.

I have played FF4, and I do like it some, but I never got a really good chance to play it before I played 6, so I don't think it compares well with it.

"You spoony bard."
                    I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                    New faces...Strange places,
                    Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                    -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

FF2j was a rushed project released within a year of the original FF. It was wisely never introduced to America. If you've ever played SaGa Frontier, well, picture the levelup system from that game after a twelve-hour dip in a pool of radioactive waste. It was filled with bugs and the best way to improve your characters was to beat them up yourself in battles with goblins. Even the description I just gave cannot match the badness of the actual game. May its programmers rot in hell forever.
                      Have a nice day, all.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

They are looking for beta testers for FFXI, by the way.
                        Application form
                        "In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison

Comment

Originally posted by CygnusZ
                          what's the deal with changing that trading card into 100 potions of invincibility?
                          It's so you can stand a chance against the omega weapon.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President
                            My favorite is number four, that was released as number two in America. The storyline is a little shaky (Why wouldn't someone have cut Kain's throat after the second time he got mind-controlled?) but the graphics are cute ("retro") and it's fun to play.

I've never completed most of the quests, though. I managed to get the Crystal Sword the last time I played, but not the White Lance - that Plague character is vicious. And don't even ask about the Pink Tails.

My favorite place is the Town of Summoned Monsters. It's hard to get to, but it's so nice and peaceful and quiet.
                            Retro? The graphics were great for its time! Same goes with 6. (Well graphics werne such a big factor back then though) I guess if you started playing recently then it would look old, but it certainly didnt back then.

Notice how almost all of FF series has a Star Wars theme? The story is so ripped off from Geroge Lucas.
                            Last edited by Zero; April 15, 2003, 20:19.
                            :-p

Comment

Graphics were a big factor back then. They've always been a factor. People just like to think that they weren't and that games back then were in some sort of golden age where only gameplay was important.

IV's plot was ****ing retarded. "Oh gee, we have a crystal, oh no it was taken, what you mean that wasn't the last crystal?" And then when all the crystals are taken, it doesn't even matter. You can still win.

V was one of my favorites, probably because it focused more on the gameplay than on the straight from a can plot that all the Final Fantasies have. Same goes for VII. I like games with replay value.
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X