Graphics over Gameplay...or?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics over Gameplay...or?

So, what do you think? Do you find graphics the most important thing in games, or is gameplay what drags you to a new game?

For me it's:
    "Gameplay is important, but graphics shouldn't be too bad either"

I know I have trouble returning to good old classics, because of the outdated graphics, even though I love the gameplay... but I still play some classic games, from time to time
    Gameplay is more important than graphics... give me a textbased game, with the best gameplay, and I'll love it :love:
    24.24%
    Gameplay is important, but graphics shouldn't be too bad either
    63.64%
    Gameplay is a little more important than graphics, but not much
    3.03%
    They both equal important
    6.06%
    Graphics is a little more important
    3.03%
    Graphics is important, but the gameplay shouldn't suck either
    0.00%
    Graphics is most important... give me a good looking game, and I'll forget about the crappy gameplay
    0.00%
    They should use the Banana engine for graphics, and make a Bananagood gameplay
    0.00%
    Last edited by Adagio; March 10, 2003, 13:07.
    This space is empty... or is it?

Gameplay über alles!
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Gameplay is important, but graphics shouldn't be too bad either.

Nowadays, after having played games such as Morrowind that have outstanding graphics, I give them some value. However, a game with good graphics might still have low enjoyment value. And yes, I still enjoy playing good old Civ 1 .
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I should say though, that there is a difference between bad graphics and bad graphics.

I don't mind a game that has outdated graphics, but I do mind a game that has ugly or badly made graphics. This goes for alot of the really old, or really badly made 3D games.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

If the graphics are so good that they make the game run badly even on high-end systems (i.e. Morrowind) or are so bad that they make it impossible to work out what is going on then that's a bad thing.
          Otherwise I don't really care, although clearly nice graphics are preferable to boring graphics.
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

FP, Morrowind runs at my system just about perfectly with looking awesomely .

Yep, Osweld has a good point here. This is one of reasons why I hate civ 2. Its isometric view and units graphics made it very hard to understand what is going on, caused confusion in my empire, and I could never get 100% used to those.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The gameplay is fundamental, the graphics need only good enough to avoid criticism.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                Its isometric view and units graphics made it very hard to understand what is going on, caused confusion in my empire, and I could never get 100% used to those.
                The unit graphics were nowhere near award winning but they were passable. And what's wrong with the isometric view? I prefer that to the birdseye view of Civ1.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

"Gameplay is important, but graphics shouldn't be too bad either"

But it's nice when you get the best of both worlds.
                  "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

gameplay always trumps graphics. they are called games for a reason you know. you only need good graphics when gameplay functionality is tied into the graphics. better functional graphics can make gameplay better.

the first choice is kinda an oxymoron, how could you have the best gameplay in a text based game? text based games are so utterly limited due to not being able to have functional graphics which enhance gameplay.
                    Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Gameplay is much more important, provided the graphics are functional. Old games with obviously old graphics are still fun to play, and on occasion I still do play them.

Yesterday I had the glory of playing in a VGA 3d wireframe environment. Yay!
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                        Yesterday I had the glory of playing in a VGA 3d wireframe environment. Yay!
                        Elite?
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I'm with you ADG. "Gameplay is important, but graphics shouldn't be too bad either". IMO that's the big problem with console games after the 64-bit systems came out. Gameplay took a backseat to flashy graphics. Most console games now suck, and the few that are good would are much better on PC (or would be if they had PC ports). Because the PC allows customization, modding, and sometimes, direct contact with developers. I prefer PC games because IMO, consoles are for kids and dumbass college kids that can't work a computer.

In the development of a good game, the gameplay needs to be ironed out first, then you can spend your time making it look pretty. Graphics are limited by hardware capabilities, while good gameplay requires a creative group of people. The other plus about PC's and modding is that you can often get improved graphics in the form of mods as well. For example, I download skins and models for Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat that are much better than the default skins. The drawback of PC's is that the games can be hacked and a bunch of dumbass puds can cheat in multiplayer games.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Nice guess, but no.
                            The game I posted in the Guess the game thread.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

TA: Kingdoms graphics > WBC II graphics
                              WBC II gameplay >>> TA: Kindoms gameplay

Seven Kindoms II graphics > Kohan graphics
                              Kohan gameplay >>> Seven Kingdoms II

(IMHO, Seven Kindoms II was extremely overrated.)
                              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X