Gaimng question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaimng question

any good first person mulitplayer RPGs out theR?

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

None come immediately to mind .. not first-person ones anyway.

There a plenty of good third-person MP RPG's.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Same as FP... none come to mind

Try Google

Comment

It is perhaps a strange gap........does anyone remember the hoardes of games like "eye of the beholder" on the Amiga?

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
          It is perhaps a strange gap........does anyone remember the hoardes of games like "eye of the beholder" on the Amiga?
          The name is very familiar, but I can't remember the actual game.

Comment

Well, there's Morrowind and Daggerfall. Aside from that, I think all the first person roleplaying games have shoddy turnbased combat, or you are actually controling an entire party out of one set of eyes. (Wizardry 8 for instance)
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Dransik (www.dransik.com) is a nice free MMetc. Yay!
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                Dransik (www.dransik.com) is a nice free MMetc. Yay!
                Are you still playing that? I thought you said a while ago that you had quit?

Comment

Re: Gaimng question

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                  any good first person mulitplayer RPGs out there?
                  i wish there was. fps are my favorite game type by far. planetside( http://planetside.station.sony.com/faq.jsp ) is coming out which i guess is could be something like a fps-mmorpg. games like everquest you can play from fps point of view but they are really better played in 3rd person most of the time, and there gameplay isn't anything like a real fps.

personally the holy grail of gaming for me would be some multiplayer game like a deus ex fps-mmorpg or a fps fallout mmorpg. i don't know if that's doable today though. the game would have to have a very developed world, and very balanced gameplay yet would require skills, tactics, and strategy to play. something like team fortress, or tribes with rpg elements and a game world might be a good start. of course being an fps-mmorpg it'd need much better netcode than all mmorpg's to date. it'd need netcode at least as good as qw(which is many times better than q3)!

i think it'd also have to not be so centralized as pay for play mmorpg's typically are. i'd perfer being able to host your own servers like quake. perhaps you could interconnect them for bigger player numbers but in a game like this maybe you wouldn't want thousands of player per game world. a single player type game world along with players in small numbers might be better. iirc q3 can handle in theory an infinite amount of players and i've seen servers that have over 80 players before. even qw can handle 32 and q2 64+. so it should be possible to have good netcode and a decent number of players.

the key to a any real fps-mmorpg would be emergent gameplay and a dynamic and constantly changing game world. of course this is the real holy grail of all gaming. i don't think there is enough cpu power for this to happen yet, especially given that ai is given a backseat to gfx. eventually gfx will get so life like that they'll plateau then you'll have some serious innovations in gameplay because gfx have ceased to improve.
                  Last edited by pg; February 22, 2003, 15:40.
                  Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

oh, also hardwar is sorta a fps-rpg which has ok multiplayer.

Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

System Shock 2 is great.

Comment

True, System Shock 2 and Deus ex are 2 games where the FPS and RPG genres meet, though it is more accurate to say they are FPS's with RPG elements I think.

Both great games though.

Comment

but are they multiplayer?

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

no

Comment

Both are story oriented SP games, though Deus ex has MP, which focuses on the FPS of the game.

For MP there are loads of RPG's though.......4 or 5 have extremely large followings. Why do these not appeal to you?

Comment

Working...
                              X