Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTA3 for the PC

Hey folks--

Anyone have this? I glanced at the box the other day, and it said that my old rig (P3 550, 128MB RAM, 16MB video) fit the requirements, but the recommendations were a bit steeper.

Would it be worth trying to play GTA3 on my computer, or is it too slow and volatile on older machines?
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

The game is great, but i think you could run into some performance problems...

You'd have to run it in it's absolute minimum setting..
    <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
    Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Yeah, what he said.

But if you minimized the settings, and put the visible distance to nill, you should be able to chug through it.

Comment

I've heard a lot of people have trouble playing the game (too laggy), if they have a graphic card, lower than GeForce 3...

I have a GeForce 3 TI200, while the rest of my computer is near the min. requirements, but I can play the game in the highest resolution, while other people, who has an overall better computer than mine (but doesn't have a GeForce 3 (or better)), can't play the game in lowest resolution because of the lag.
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

A friend also has that lag problem while his setup is almost identical, or even better then mine, it turns out that once he has driven around town once, the lag dissappears adn the game runs smoothly.
          <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
            A friend also has that lag problem while his setup is almost identical, or even better then mine, it turns out that once he has driven around town once, the lag dissappears adn the game runs smoothly.

Sounds like a paging problem within the game. I suggest you increase your page file as much as you can before you play anything (2GB is the biggest in XP Pro AFAIK).
            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

It should work on your comp although my friend had some minor graphics problems while playing on a computer similar to yours.
              But still it should work just fine. it's a great game

Comment

I've got a P3 1 GHz, GeForce 2 MX, and 256 megs of ram, and I have to run it on the lowest resolution with most of the settings turned off.

Comment

Does GTA3 allow you to mod or edit the game? Because if that was the case, then I can see getting the game for the PC instead of a console. Which is one of the reasons why I stick to PC games.
                  I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Yeah, you can edit skins for the main player, and there are sites that offer new cars (I've added VW Beetles to my game) and levels.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
                      Yeah, you can edit skins for the main player, and there are sites that offer new cars (I've added VW Beetles to my game) and levels.
                      Good, I might consider getting it then. Since I only played the first DOS version (and still do from time to time, but I hate that damn timer on the top )

Comment

I've been wondering about this game. I've never played any of these games before.

How does it play? Like an action game?

I'm all for games with prostitutes and doing bad guy stuff

but I'm not the best at action games. Sometimes I can be too slow.

Is this game beatable by an average player? I do like to be able to finish games (unlike games like Syndicate Wars)

Comment

some short answers:
                          How does it play? Like an action game?

yes
                          but I'm not the best at action games. Sometimes I can be too slow.

Is this game beatable by an average player? I do like to be able to finish games (unlike games like Syndicate Wars)

It's beatable, you can reload a mission if you were too slow and failed, and this time you'll know what to do. However you can't save during a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
                            I've got a P3 1 GHz, GeForce 2 MX, and 256 megs of ram, and I have to run it on the lowest resolution with most of the settings turned off.
                            There is my point... I've only got a P3 500 Mhz, while I can play the game with highest resolution, with most settings on... almost without lag

Originally posted by Dissident
                            I'm not good at action games, but I have finished most missions

The best thing about it, is the freedom to choose the mission: Most of the time, you have 2-3 (or more) missions to choose among (While you're still able to play the extra "missions" as taxi-driver)... And you can also finish the game, before you have done all missions (In my current game, I have like 4+ mission to take care of, but I have already "finished" the game, by beating the last tough level (Where you have: no time, no weapons, but tons of enemies...)

Originally posted by Thrawn05
                            Does GTA3 allow you to mod or edit the game? Because if that was the case, then I can see getting the game for the PC instead of a console. Which is one of the reasons why I stick to PC games.
                            I'd say: Go buy "Vice City" to consol, or wait til they release "Vice city" to PC (I believe that'll be next summer). Otherwise you'd be sad, when you're addicted to the game, have finished the game, and knows it's still a while, before "Vice City" will be released to PC...
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                              I'd say: Go buy "Vice City" to consol
                              Get away Satan! I will never buy consol!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X