Clear All

ASUS P3B-F motherboard
    Pentium 3 proccesor
    128mb SDRAM
    Geforce2 MX
    Fujitsu 12gb Hard Drive
    Plextor CD-RW drive
    SB Audigy

I will be building a new computer soon though. (carrying over a few of my newer pieces)

By the motherboard driver, do you mean the BIOS? I was also thinking of that... but all the warnings I read sort of put me off.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

No you can download updated drivers for the MB......it can help.....best to try it and see (along with up to date drivers for your hardware). Only flash the BIOS if you need to, like if you can't detect a new big hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
        ASUS P3B-F motherboard
        Pentium 3 proccesor
        128mb SDRAM
        Geforce2 MX
        Fujitsu 12gb Hard Drive
        Plextor CD-RW drive
        SB Audigy

I will be building a new computer soon though. (carrying over a few of my newer pieces)
        So you do have the latest SB Audigy drivers from their website, right? From the error you told me it sounds like the drivers you have just aren't signed by MS as being okay, which is pretty common.

By the motherboard driver, do you mean the BIOS? I was also thinking of that... but all the warnings I read sort of put me off.
        You should update both. Official BIOS updates are usually a very safe bet, and fix problems in the motherboard that can cause issues. For example, with my SB Audigy, my motherboard would lock the computer up for 20 seconds and squeal loudly. I contacted Dell about it, two weeks later they had a new BIOS revision available which fixed the problem by updating the BIOS. Asus' website has the latest BIOS version for your board, 1006: http://cgi.asus.com.tw/cgi-bin/dl.as...f/bx3f1006.zip
        Looks like they fixed a lot of bugs.

There are also motherboard drivers: Your board uses the i440BX chipset, which means you can download the drivers for it from Intel's website. I think this is your board: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...?ProductID=203

It's an older board so there's no official Win2K and WinXP drivers. So they do have a "non-OS dependant" option but I'm not sure how it works.

Try the BIOS and Audigy drivers first, then the MB drivers if they fail.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I don't like flashing BIOSes..........it's scary.

Comment

I have a known working BIOS on a diskette that my computer shipped with, so flashing a BIOS isn't a problem for me...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I didn't see any MB drivers in that second link, just an Audio, LAN, and Video drivers, and a BIOS. (I'm using win98, by the way)

I installed the audio driver but it had no effect. I'd still rather not do the BIOS, but may get around to trying that some time.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I didn't see any MB drivers in that second link, just an Audio, LAN, and Video drivers, and a BIOS. (I'm using win98, by the way)

I installed the audio driver but it had no effect. I'd still rather not do the BIOS, but may get around to trying that some time.

Is this just Win98 or Win98SE? Because I just had a thought that if you are running the first version of Win98, that there might be a problem with the OS. Just a thought (I really have to stop doing that).
                I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Might well be time for an upgrade to XP or 2K. The drivers are ok now.......who knows.....your problem may disappear, and it is something you should think about doing at any rate.

Comment

Yes - I concur - at least ensure that you have 98SE - vanilla 98 had a lot of hardware conflict bugs ...

SG[1]
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                      Might well be time for an upgrade to XP or 2K. The drivers are ok now.......who knows.....your problem may disappear, and it is something you should think about doing at any rate.
                      Of course, if you going to do that, I highly suggest you:

1: Double that RAM of yours
                      2: Get a larger HD (see if you can find a local computer store that will copy everything from the old HD to the new one)
                      3: You didn't say what your CPU speed was, but make sure it's at LEAST 500MHz. Unless you like looking at the hourglass pointer.
                      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

I'm not going to change my OS untill I build my new computer. (aside from it being alot of work for something which I'm only going to be using for another couple weeks, I've also put it off for the same reasons Thrawn05 points out above)

And yes, it is just the regular win98.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

And yes, it is just the regular win98.
                          Perhaps a quick trip to the store to pick up the SE upgrade is in order, hell, it's a shot.

Comment

Working...
                          X