DirectX 9... are they kidding me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectX 9... are they kidding me?

I just got PC Mag yesterday, and I came across an article about new graphic cards. I then saw somthing about DirectX 9.

PCMag said that DX9 will require NEW graphic cards, and that cards not made for it will not work with DX9 installed (not to mention games that use DX9)!!!

Now I know past DX upgrades required new cards, but that was just to use the new features, they still could run the games and such.

Am I the only one that's kinda p***ed about this? Because I was hopeing I can wait until 10GHz (or at least 5GHz) computers role before I dish any more money out like that.
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

What games will require DX9 then? I would assume only ones that would have required these new graphics cards. I don't think it will be a problem. PC game producers in most cases do a good job of keeping specs low so that the masses can play there game.
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

DX9 supports tons of all new things only supported in DX9 hardware. DX8 does the same thing (pixel shaders).

You can run DX9 games on your older hardware provided they don't use DX9-hardware-only features as a mandatory requirement (128-bit color, etc.). Just like you can't run games with pixel shaders on any cards but DX8 cards.

Game makers make those type of things options, at least for a couple of years.

Don't worry about it.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Thats what I figured. Thanks Asher.
        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          DX9 supports tons of all new things only supported in DX9 hardware. DX8 does the same thing (pixel shaders).

You can run DX9 games on your older hardware provided they don't use DX9-hardware-only features as a mandatory requirement (128-bit color, etc.). Just like you can't run games with pixel shaders on any cards but DX8 cards.

Game makers make those type of things options, at least for a couple of years.

Don't worry about it.
          I'm sorry but from what I gather from MS, you will have to buy new video cards because older cards won't run at all if you plan on using DX9. Since unlike other DX version, DX was rewritten from the ground up to allow the new shader language.

I had a Cirrus Logic 2MB video (which I say is the best of all time), it went from DX3 to DX6 before I had to buy a new computer. And this was a Suckard Bell.
          I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

There no logic in games designers making games only a few people can play.........it will not happen. The people who need to worry are those that will have cards that support fancy dx9 stuff and no games that use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
              I'm sorry but from what I gather from MS, you will have to buy new video cards because older cards won't run at all if you plan on using DX9. Since unlike other DX version, DX was rewritten from the ground up to allow the new shader language.
              What you're reading is a bunch of bull****.

I've had the DX9 SDK for a couple of months how. Hell, DX9 even emulates the new vertex shaders in CPU (albeit quite slowly) for those who don't have capable hardware.

DX9 is just like DX8 in that there are some features that can only run on dedicated hardware, but game makers make those optional so people actually BUY their games and can run them.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

What you're reading is a bunch of bull****.

I've had the DX9 SDK for a couple of months how. Hell, DX9 even emulates the new vertex shaders in CPU (albeit quite slowly) for those who don't have capable hardware.

DX9 is just like DX8 in that there are some features that can only run on dedicated hardware, but game makers make those optional so people actually BUY their games and can run them.
                I just hope you're right. I still don't want to give up my Voodoo3 3000 card.

Comment

Errm...with a Voodoo 3 3000 you probably won't be able to run DX9 games.

Not because of DX, but because 3dfx wont' be making DirectX 9 drivers because 3dfx isn't around anymore.

Comment

****ing 3dfx... I'm glad I have a GeForce 4 Go, now .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

My current soundcard doesn't work with DX8.1

(I will be buying a new one today, I think... I was going to wait untill I got everything else for my new computer, but I want to be able to play Hearts of Iron without any problems)
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Errm...with a Voodoo 3 3000 you probably won't be able to run DX9 games.

Not because of DX, but because 3dfx wont' be making DirectX 9 drivers because 3dfx isn't around anymore.
                        I know

I'm still using it for two reasons:

1: A sign of protest against nVidia which in it's contract said they would continue to update the drivers.

2: A converstation I had with an nVidia lady rep, which she basicly said that all the stop errors I'm getting in XP pro is from the nVidia card i bought (since there are no drivers for Voodoo), and that nVidia admitts that their drivers DO NOT support XP. Expect drivers to support XP by this Feb. So I returned the nVidia card and now I'm back to Voodoo, but the hacked drivers work so well I don't think I'll switch.

Of course, I have no choice with my laptop... and I can't watch DVDs or play too much of any games NOR any 3D editing (3D shape screen savers as well) because every 3.5 seconds I get a BSD stop error.

Comment

The nVidia drivers don't support XP? That can't be right, he said disbelievingly.

Comment

Yeah, something's not right with that -- they clearly say they support Windows XP on their website, and most people I know run WinXP + Nvidia cards without issue...

Comment

Yeah, something's not right with that -- they clearly say they support Windows XP on their website, and most people I know run WinXP + Nvidia cards without issue...
                              I asked the same thing... she said that they are geared towards XP, but they don't fully support it like Win98SE.

If you want to call anyone a liar, tell that to the that lady rep I called.

Comment

Working...
                              X