Railroad Tycoon II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railroad Tycoon II

Every year around this time I go out and hunt in my "archives" for titles that I haven't played for a while. I have games there from Civ 1 and the xxx Quest Series from Sierra to present titles like Civ 3. Over the weekend I went back to RRTII and I must say that this game fascinates me as much as it did when I first played it a couple or so years back. I think it is the greatest game after the Civ and C & C series and Colonization. The one thing it misses is tunnels but after a while you get used to the fact you get yourself immersed in an excellent resources management and strategy game that lacks any type of violence (besides stock market crashes ). I would have thought that this game being in a very similar genre with Civ that it would have a lot of fans in here. So I wonder, does it? Do you guys still play it? Has anybody heard anything about a third installment? IIRC the original RRT was also a Sid game from Micropose, right?

So long...
    Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
    Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

I liked the original alot better.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I like it and play it every so often. Lack of iron mines for steel, or the fact that iron and coal always seem far apart is my only pet peeve.

Comment

Someone talking Railroad Tycoon?

First of all I could note that there's 2 The Column wiritngs waiting to be published with some chatter about RT too. Hopefully they'll be released soon. I was hoping a discussion like this after The Column writings would have been published as I haven't dared to talk about RTS is here as this is after all a TBS dominant community.

Thanks, Pioneer!

So my little story is that I have played all versions of Railroad Tycoon, unlike the Civ series (CivNet, CtP and CtP2 included). I'm the legal owner of Railroad Tycoon Deluxe, Railroad Tycoon II, Railroad Tycoon II The Second Century and Railroad Tycoon II Gold Edition (Linux). The only one I don't have is the Platinum Edition, but it would be a waste of cash. I had Railroad Tycoon too, but not anymore.

Do you guys still play it?
        Railroad Tycoon - nope
        Railroad Tycoon Deluxe - yes
        Railroad Tycoon II - yes
        Railroad Tycoon II TSC - yes
        Railroad Tycoon II Gold Edition - yes

But just like you, I nowadays only do it occasionally.
        Has anybody heard anything about a third installment?
        Read the next The Column by me. Or do you want the answer now?
        IIRC the original RRT was also a Sid game from Micropose, right?
        Railroad Tycoon and Railroad Tycoon Deluxe were developed by MicroProse and the person behind those 2 titles is the god himself. Railroad Tycoon is one of the old games that Sid has developed.

I could go for hours about this subject, but I guess this is short enough.

Would someone like to play RT2 or TSC multiplayer in the nearby future? Maybe a small "Apolyton goes RT2" game?
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Ras, I once tried to play an MP game of AOE and I got eaten alive by experienced online gamersharks, so I am a little sceptical about your proposal. Besides I always pause the game in order to get my thinking straight and that wont be possible in an MP game!

I know though that I'll be playing RRTII for the next few weeks!

So long..
          Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
          Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
          Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

I don't play it very often. Every week or so just because i like trains

Comment

A couple of years ago i bought the "Tycoon collection" which had, Rollercoaster, Transport and Railroad Tycoon II. I admit at the time (not knowing much about it) that i thought RRTII was there to fill the disk out, but it turned out i played that more than either of the other two. Havent played it for a while, but these kinda threads bring back those old memories.
              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Well, the only problem with Railroad Tycoon II's stock market that I noticed, is taht after a point, your competitiors cease issuing stock... and since all the stock is bought ulp- you can never 'buy out' a company in the conventional sense unless you play the markets early in the game...

Oh well, I was no good at the game... only able to complete 1 or 2 scenarios- but I created a few good maps with the map editor !
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Yes I still play it. I have had all version including the C-64 version.

I still have all the old dos version.

Comment

I much prefer the original. There are a lot of things you can do in the old game such as rate wars that you can't do in the sequel. I am not going to play a game where I cannot build tunnels. What kind of idiocy is that?
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

So there are some fans around . I started the a scenario the other night and I will be playing it until Christmas. Especially, now that I heard that PTW will come out here in Germany for 36€ , which forces me to wait for the price to drop before I buy it.

So long...

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud

Oh well, I was no good at the game... only able to complete 1 or 2 scenarios- but I created a few good maps with the map editor !

Well, I have played through the campaigns in RT2 and TSC. Nice entertainment.

The only problem nowadays is the lack of a matchmaking service as Heat ceased to exist when Sega bought them and shut it down.

Pioneer,

are you sure you don't want to play MP?
                        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I revist it quite often. I miss some of the features from the original but the graphics make up for it.
                          It seems to have aged pretty well although i'd have liked a more aggresive AI and it can be a bit puzzle like so once you've worked out the winning formula it can be a bit easy.

Comment

@Ras,

why do you smell a victim?

Has anybody around here heard anything about a RRTIII? I've looked around and I haven't really fouond anything besides some vague comment on Gamespot!

So long...

Comment

I have always been intrigued by RRT2, but haven't yet gotten into it to any depth. I have so many games to get through, but I hope one day to spend some time with RRT2, which I think is a very well-done game, even with it's shortcomings.

Here's a forum where the game is still discussed: http://www.crotrainz.com/cgi-bin/forum/board.pl

Have fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X