Gaming Evolutionary Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming Evolutionary Thread

Just an idea... what if we try to compile evolutionary trees for games... to better show influences, etc... If anyone can provide years, I would appreciate it

RTS

Dune II
    |
    Command and Conquer
    (1994)
    |
    Warcraft Fantasy RTS
    (1994?)
    |
    Red Alert
    (1995)
    |
    Warcraft II Fantasy RTS
    (1996?)

\\\\\\\\ PARALLEL EVOLUTION DEVIANT #1 Historical RTS

|
    Age of Empires Historical RTS
    (1997)
    |
    Age of Empires II
    (1999?)
    |
    Empire Earth
    (2001)
    |
    Rise of Nations
    (2002?)

\\\\\\ DEVIANT #2 Fantasy/Sci-Fi RTS

Total Annihilation
    (1997?)
    |
    Starcraft
    (1997)
    |
    Warcraft III
    (2001)

God-Games

Populous
    (1990)
    |
    Populous II
    (1992)
    |
    Populous 3D
    (1999?)
    |
    The Sims
    (1999)
    |
    Black and White
    (1999)
    ?
    Black and White II
    (2003?)

TBS

Civ - Reach for the Stars - MoO - Galatic Civ - Colonization (1994) - MoM - Civ 2 (1996)- MoO 2 - SMAC (1997)- Reach for the Stars (new version) - Civ 3 - Galatic Civ (new version)

-
    ...just for starters
    Last edited by DarkCloud; November 14, 2002, 22:44.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

For RTS, you missed Warcraft, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, and Starcraft. You also forgot Warlords Battlecry and Warlords Battlecry 2. There is not much historical about Age of Empires.

For God games, you missed Warmonger, all of the SimCity series (they need to be in if you are counting The Sims).

4X Games

Civ - Reach for the Stars - MoO - Galatic Civ - Civ 2 - MoM - Civ 2 - MoO 2 - Reach for the Stars (new version) - Civ 3 - MoM 3 - Galatic Civ (new version)
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

This is a very interesting project but I think it will not be easy at all. Perhaps a treewill be unsufficient for this task, there may be games that have been influenced by more than one games and such.

Comment

You could add SMAC as a dead end in the 4x games...at least for now
        Or maybe as an influence to MOO3.
        <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
        Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Who wants to do one for RPG, a start:

Wasteland -> Fallout -> uhm...that's all i know
          <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
            Who wants to do one for RPG, a start:

Wasteland -> Fallout -> uhm...that's all i know

Arena -> Daggerfall -> Morrowind -> Tribunal

Personaly, I gave up on FPS games, their lack of SP replay value is insulting. The last FPS games were AvPGE and Q3. I predict that in a few years, FPS games will go the way of the dodo. Just my prediction.
            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

There is not much historical about Age of Empires.
              It's historical based- it was the first RTS to do anything even near that. And ALL its units are the equivalents of real units of those type.

Frankly, I'm not sure that WArlords was much of a step forward.

I'd like to add Seven Kingdoms, but can't find the correct spot... Same with Shogun:Total War, and Myth: The Fallen Lords as well as Myth 2 and Kohan... but can't figure out where to put them... any ideas?

For God games, you missed Warmonger, all of the SimCity series (they need to be in if you are counting The Sims).
              Warmonger?
              As for sim City- It's not directly runnign someones lives or an empire- it's more a city thing although I could be swayed.

You could add SMAC as a dead end in the 4x games...at least for now
              Or maybe as an influence to MOO3.
              Well, at least they contribuited semi-3d terrain

List updated!
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Seven Kingdoms should definitely be in front RoN, when i heard about RoN, SK was the first thing that came to mind.

Comment

Warlords Battlecry is the first RTS game with a hero.

Seven Kingdoms is somewhere after AoE or AoE 2, and there's also Seven Kingdoms 2. Don't forget Dungeon Keepers in the RTS tree.

Shogun Total War seems to be a TBS, or wanted to be classified as such.

Also the "software toys" series:

SimCity - SimEarth - SimLife - SimAnt - SimCity 2000 - SimCity 3000 - The Sims - SimGolf

I am sure I miss a whole bunch in there somewhere.
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I'd be intersted to know what peple think followed Elite as I would like to give a space combat/trading game another go
                    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Elite -> X - Beyond the frontier -> X2 (not out yet)

There are also online space combat/trade games, one of them is Eve (beta phase - www.eve-online.com)

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                        Warmonger?
                        A fantastic game, although I'll admit I remember almost nothing about it since I last played it 10 or so years ago. I DO remember that I had a total blast playing it, though.

A quick google search turned up nothing apart from this page that says the site has no cheats for it (http://www.cheatcave.com/cheats.php3...=3&gameid=7002).
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Sorry, brain-farted. It should be Powermonger, a game that appeared after Populus but before Populus 2, also by the same crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                            I'd be intersted to know what peple think followed Elite as I would like to give a space combat/trading game another go
                            I can think of a game that was probably before Elite....

It was called Sundog and it may of had a sequel, but I can't remember.

Sundog came out in the mid 80's for the Apple IIc.

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Would Powermonger be a lot like Ultimate Domain?

-
                              And one could argue that the old text based games came before Sundog

Adventure Games: Noninteractive (IE excludes Kings/Space Quest)
                              Zork I
                              Zork II
                              Zork III
                              Zork IV
                              Zork V
                              Zork VI
                              Return to Zork
                              Myst
                              Zork: Grand Inquisitor
                              Riven
                              The Longest Journey
                              Myst III
                              Syberia
                              -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Working...
                              X