Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best and worst finale in a game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The DOOM endings are all a blur to me.
    Don't tell me I have to play them through again.
    "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
    "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
    - Pekka

Comment

Doom episode endings were mostly text. Boring.
      Except the cool one with a picture of your pet rabbit's head on a stake with cities burning in the background.

I like the UFO/XCOM loser slideshow.
      And the Civ2 loser movie.

Worst ending must be XCOM 2 (TFTD). For the whole last level you are not allowed to save. The actual fight was, IIRC, pretty lame, and the win slideshow confusing.

C.

Comment

The ending for the original halflife is kind of cool (even though the boss is dumb). The man in a suit gives you a choice. Come work for me or die. It's kind of funny. I swear if the game would just let me keep my weapons I could take those hundreds of aliens...
        "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Err, halflife was overdone... i mean... that guy in a suit so ridiculous, he's always watching you from a safe spot, with aliens crawling up my ass all over the place and he never gets threatened, i was also wondering how he could get in those neat safe places damnit!!

and the boss was so easy... hide behind the pillars, shoot, then hide again, etc..
          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

In AvpGE, The Marine and AL|EN endings were great.

Morrowind ending was good too (although Dagoth Ur looked like a sissy, but that's me).

The two ending battles for Total Annihilation was good.

The last battle for Force Commander was cool... although I rather be an Imperial then a stupid Rebel.

Which reminds me, the last battle in TIE Fighter was great. I'm glad Zarrin got what was comming to him.

The Grim Fandango ending was very cleaver, and I was very amussed. The same could be sad for most of the older DOS LucasArts "Point and Click" games.
            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

FF2 has an absolutely superb ending especially for when it was a new game. Most of planet is just fine at the end of the game, only a few locations were actually destroyed. The game goes to various cities you have traveled to and shows them rebuilding damage caused by recent fights in many instances. The game ends with the two primary charactors in the game's romantic subplot getting married and a final credits scene. I personally view FF2 as having one of the most rewarding end game scenes in a game I have played. P.S. Zeromus is definately beatable, you just have to remember that FF2 is an older school game that requires you to level up before beating the final boss. Be sure to fight Bahamut and defeat him so that Rydia can use that summon spell against Zeromus.

Comment

Opposing Force OTOH has you go on a platform, at one side of the giant monster with the killer beam attack and aim a laser installed there to it's eye until you blind it. Then go straight to the other side, do the same with another laser to the other eye. Then wait till it opens up it's belly, shoot your laser inside, when it closes up go to the floor level, kill an alien that has come out of it and then go again and do the same for about 3 TIMES (depends on the damage you do to the belly) without getting killed. After the first time, the bridge between the two sides collapses and you have to do the Tarzan thing with the barnacle and a spore plant hanging from one wall.
                "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                George Orwell

Comment

Worst ending - The victory screens for Civ III

Best ending - The victory and defeat videos for Civ II

Moral: It may be more recent, but it is not progress!

Comment

FFVII gets special recognition for crappiness of ending, since not only does everybody get killed at the end (of course), but you also have to sit through the five minute "Supernova" sequence over and over again. It was cool to see once, it's not cool to see twenty times. (Same holds true for all of the summonings, though -- yeah, yeah, Bahamut Zero sure looks cool, now please just give me the option of skipping his animations...)
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Best ending: tough one. In FFVIII's ending video, the part about Laguna and Raine was really touching...

Worst ending: Civ3. I mean, you get to space and get a text box?

Originally posted by loinburger
                      FFVII gets special recognition for crappiness of ending, since not only does everybody get killed at the end (of course),
                      They do? I always thought... eh... I guess they did.

but you also have to sit through the five minute "Supernova" sequence over and over again.
                      I only saw it once; and I had relatevily weak characters at that battle.

But the summon animations otherwise really would need cutting, during KotR I could go grap a cup of coffee.
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Remember folks, it's the finale, not the end sequence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoch
                          Be sure to fight Bahamut and defeat him so that Rydia can use that summon spell against Zeromus.
                          I think that might be the problem, I breezed through the moon and the Bab-Il Giant and I'm only level 45 average. Plus I didn't get Bahamut.

The last level of WarCraft II is really frenetic and fun, though hard. I must have gotten massacred fifty times before I got the idea to attack with about a hundred dragons.
                          Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President

I think that might be the problem, I breezed through the moon and the Bab-Il Giant and I'm only level 45 average. Plus I didn't get Bahamut.
                            Bahamut is in another cave on the moon. You could exit Zeromus's lair and go to the other cave to fight Bahamut. Going through Bahamut's cave would also be a good way to raise your charactors' levels as well.

Comment

Fallout I and II without a doubt- despite a few minor bugs.

Civ2 was decent.

Civ3 is pretty lame. Especially for the other victory types.

Baldur's Gate 2 was decent and the exp pack for that.

Diablo1 and 2 were OK. The movies were of good quality though.

Axis and Allies ending was lame, but of course the gameplay is what the game is about. It is a computerized board game after all.

fallout: tactics had 3 seperate endings, but still could not compare to the original games.

That's all I can think of. Looking through some of my games, the games either did not have endings (madden football), or I have never beaten the game (like black and white- I grew bored of that in a day)

Comment

Thief 1 and 2 had very nice endings. Then again, I loved the whole atmosphere of the two games.
                                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                                X